Official Weird News Thread

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Of course on the face it's stupid.. but..

"Our advice is to be as careful on social media as you would in any other form of communication. If you say something about someone which is grossly offensive or is of an indecent, obscene or menacing character, then you could be investigated by the police."
I mean I guess that's not a bad thing, none of the quotes in the article seems like it'd qualify as grossly offensive or indecent or obscene or menacing.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
You're kidding, right? You think mean speech (grossly offensive, indecent, obscene, menacing) should be something the police have to step in for?? Really? Really?
I'd need to know the letter of their law, but certainly maybe.

MENACING? If someone says "I'M GOING TO KILL YOUR FAMILY!" that's menacing and should be investigated if it feels like a real threat.

Obscene? Someone sending around your 'nudes or something, seems like that should be illegal.

Indecent? More of the above, though again hard to tell what that means in the UK.

Grossly Offensive? Here's an article:

United Kingdom : When is Public Communication “Grossly (Including Racially) Offensive”?

I mean, I think our way is better, but I do think there needs to be SOME rules & regulations in regards to communications. An unmitigated free for all sounds nice in theory, but you then only end up hearing the loudest and most obnoxious people.