Official Weird News Thread

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
The people that love NYC defend it with a passion that I cannot grasp. They probably say the same thing about our love of land, car-ownership, guns, and minimal crime. Who would want THAT?!

My gut reaction is to just assume that they don't know any better, that they've never lived outside of the mega-urban bubble... but that would make me guilty of making assumptions about them, and I hate that in reverse. I know they think we live in flyover states b/c we haven't experienced the glory of... subways, street hotdogs, and being accosted by crazy people?

F#$% if I know. They can have it. That just means less of them coming here.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
Oh I have lots of family in NY, & you can not convince them its not the greatest place in the world.
- You can get any kind of food that you want within a short distance.
- Pay is high, - even if cost of living is just as high.
- Surrounded by like minded people telling you how great you are.
- One place in the world where you could be as weird looking as possible (Spiderman walking down the street weird.) & NO ONE will even do a second glance.
- Lots of cool places museums, tourists stuff, broadway to go that they never go to.

But take them out of their hamster cages & 1 of 2 things happen.
- They lose their sh!t, drive like they have NEVER had their car go over 40mph, freak out starbucks isn't walking distance, Insert rant about how in NYC we don't take this sh!t.
- They adapt, start the realize how incredibly unhappy they are being packed in, & move out. Usually taking their issues with them to some other unsuspecting place. see Florida.

Last edited:

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I'm so over highly populated areas. Granted, (Thank God) I never lived in the "big" city, but I did 11 years in northern VA (DC suburbs). It's amazing the quality of life at lower expense you can have away from a place like that. It's also crazy all the stuff you can do when you don't have to plan at least an hour in traffic to go 10 miles.

That's not to say people should never live in the city. In fact, I think every kid should spend at least a couple years in the city right out of college, right after a mandatory short trip to a third world country (and a year stint in the military for that matter). That way they can start to appreciate everything we have here in the REAL USA.

If there is a civil war in our time, I have to believe it will be between the densely populated blue urban areas and the red rural counties, likely with the "front lines" somewhere in the suburbs. At some point, it's possible the urban consumers will go too far and demand too much from the rural producers. Look at the by county election map for reference.

If the (likely blue) governors/legislators/etc. start/continue to (even more) tyrannically impose their will (draconian Covid restrictions as an example) upon the counties while allowing lawless chaos in the cities, there's a chance it will result in the reduction of food and consumables delivered to the cities. Exactly where do they think all that stuff comes from?

With shelves empty, restaurants closed and urban gas stations no longer supplied by truckers not willing to brave the lawless mobs, and because they are so dependent, desperation would set in rather quickly. As the supply in the cities quickly dries up, the zombie mobs would begin mulling outward in search of all the stuff no longer stocked at their burnt out Targets and corner stores.

First they start to pillage outward into the near suburbs and then the far suburbs. Each time running into people a little more prepared and a little better armed. The bloodshed would begin in earnest as people try to defend what they have. The local authorities and military could only hope to contain the chaos and provide what they could to the "starving" city dwellers. But they would be pushed to the brink when supplies run low and mobs demand more. Inept city/state/federal leadership would seal the fate of the desperate.

Once the "relief stations" are all sucked dry and destroyed and the authorities pushed out, the zombie horde would continue outward. By this time the full military, LE and even deputized civilians would be mobilized. Those that didn't abandon their posts to protect their own homes would be in daily conflict with the desperate, angry mobs (no longer receiving their entitlements). Gangs of zombies would push outward, looking for resources, pillaging until they run into better armed mobilized neighborhoods and towns, where they would be met with overwhelming defense.

This would likely happen similarly in many other places around the world, once word got out, the global economy crashed and panic set in. Then "help" would arrive in strategic places around the world. Whoever remained strongest would certainly provide "aid and support" through their military, and the conflict would grow over whatever is considered valuable.

None of this is remotely inevitable, but I would also caution that is is also way closer than it seems.

Reactions: Videoviper

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Yeah, I did my time in Houston, and while I had a good time there when I was young and... unencumbered, it made me appreciate the quiet country living a lot. Now my college friends that are still there are rather envious, and when they come visit, they're stunned by the nature/green, the elbow room, the fact that you can see stars & wildlife. If they weren't tied to their upper-management positions at big companies, they'd all leave in an instant.

Reactions: ThunderDan19

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
I’ve seen the masses slowly transfer out into the suburbs bringing with them over crowding, problems & crime that results.
We have many NY citizens living in PA & NJ.

There is a reason we don’t see BLM style looting in the rural areas. Everyone knows they would be shot & disposed of. No law enforcement needed. That’s the quote from the Black guy.

I can potentially see something like this happening with COVID not enough resources to much need.

I really hope for a restart program (focused on business that closed & need to restart) but what I have in mind is probably not gonna fly since it puts rents loans etc on hold.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
If there is a civil war in our time, I have to believe it will be between the densely populated blue urban areas and the red rural counties, likely with the "front lines" somewhere in the suburbs. At some point, it's possible the urban consumers will go too far and demand too much from the rural producers. Look at the by county election map for reference.

If the (likely blue) governors/legislators/etc. start/continue to (even more) tyrannically impose their will (draconian Covid restrictions as an example) upon the counties while allowing lawless chaos in the cities, there's a chance it will result in the reduction of food and consumables delivered to the cities. Exactly where do they think all that stuff comes from?

With shelves empty, restaurants closed and urban gas stations no longer supplied by truckers not willing to brave the lawless mobs, and because they are so dependent, desperation would set in rather quickly. As the supply in the cities quickly dries up, the zombie mobs would begin mulling outward in search of all the stuff no longer stocked at their burnt out Targets and corner stores.

First they start to pillage outward into the near suburbs and then the far suburbs. Each time running into people a little more prepared and a little better armed. The bloodshed would begin in earnest as people try to defend what they have. The local authorities and military could only hope to contain the chaos and provide what they could to the "starving" city dwellers. But they would be pushed to the brink when supplies run low and mobs demand more. Inept city/state/federal leadership would seal the fate of the desperate.

Once the "relief stations" are all sucked dry and destroyed and the authorities pushed out, the zombie horde would continue outward. By this time the full military, LE and even deputized civilians would be mobilized. Those that didn't abandon their posts to protect their own homes would be in daily conflict with the desperate, angry mobs (no longer receiving their entitlements). Gangs of zombies would push outward, looking for resources, pillaging until they run into better armed mobilized neighborhoods and towns, where they would be met with overwhelming defense.

This would likely happen similarly in many other places around the world, once word got out, the global economy crashed and panic set in. Then "help" would arrive in strategic places around the world. Whoever remained strongest would certainly provide "aid and support" through their military, and the conflict would grow over whatever is considered valuable.

None of this is remotely inevitable, but I would also caution that is is also way closer than it seems.

I still feel that capitalism will win out in the end, and the cities will still get their wares because they'll pay for it. I think there would need to be another kind of societal breakdown before your situation happens. Maybe the dollar becomes worthless or nonstop daily rioting or something.. but even then, the rioters got tired after a couple days in most places not named Portland, so I doubt they could keep it up long enough to cause systemic disruption.

This past summer of fun was the prime time for ANTIFA/BLM to spread out to the suburbs.. but largely they didn't. We had a 'protest' here on a street corner.. but it was mostly white people and nothing much happened. We had more Trump supporters line up on freeway overpasses.

I do think in your scenario one of the problems would be the police/military who live in the cities would be stuck without food too, if the country folk were really hoarding it, I don't think they wouldn't go again rural cops, and there are a lot more city cops.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I feel like this summer was just a preview. Those folks were hardly desperate.

Capitalism wouldn't survive the crash of the dollar. And, as things get scarce, there is very little likelihood that country folks would sell/trade their wares in the dangerous, far away cities when they could much more easily trade locally, particularly as fuel becomes more scarce/expensive.

I have a feeling that the city cops/NG/military would all have early access to the emergency supplies being brought in and would take what they could to their families before things really got out of control. And as things deteriorated in the cities, they'd be some of the first out, or at least their families would be. I think they'd get a relatively warm reception by fellow po po and family outside the cities, and would likely take up with enclaves there.

Reactions: Sgt301