Red Dead Redemption - THE (ORIGINAL) SEQUEL

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Red Dead Redemption 01.png

I have officially started my play through of Red Dead Redemption (2010)! I am playing it in 4K on the Xbox One X in Backwards Compatibility (BC).

I am playing through this for (basically) the first time. I technically started it sometime in 2016 when it first went BC on Xbox, I only got a tiny way in though before I gave up. The controls seemed weird, the story hadn't hooked me, and there were other things to play. I never played it on Xbox 360 when it came out because it didn't seem like a game I'd like (A western! Pshaw!). I'd heard great things, EPIC things about the game over the years.. but just never got around to it.

All that being said, I could not escape the critical and financial juggernaut that is Red Dead Redemption 2.. and since it was a prequel, it seemed like a good place to jump in. So I did.. and wow.. RDR2 is already one of my top games of all time, and may be my top "cinematic" game of all time. It really resonated with me. Controls took a while to get used to/fix, and some of the stuff was counter intuitive, but after the first 5-10 hours, it was sublime. I finally beat it this week, so I decided to immediately move over to RDR1 as a proper sequel to see how it plays out.

Note.. this will be a work in progress as I play through the game.. and will have spoilers from RDR2 and RDR1 as I get past them.

So I starts the game.. and.. here's a ferry.. and John is getting off the boat with two Pinkertons! Nothing is said, but clearly he's not a fan. He makes his way to a train, and then to Armadillo. Considering how RDR2 ended, this is a little strange, though you do see the Pinkertons poking around Beecher's Hope during the credits, after Epilogue 2. The graphics difference makes it hard to tell if it's supposed to be the exact same two, or what. I am guessing they'll explain in exposition later why he was on a ferry coming INTO Blackwater (if he still lives at Beecher's Hope?).

Oh look, it's Bill Williamson! I remember him being there in RDR2, though only interacting with him a handful of times. I remember him kinda being a dick. Yep, dick. Shoots me! Seems rather poorly planned by ol' Marston. I got to the farm and helped the nice lady hunt rabbits. Looking at the map, it's mostly all places I didn't visit in RDR2 (though you could, I only went where the missions sent me for the most part).

Looking forward to digging in tonight and tomorrow and figuring out where the story is going to go, and how it evolves where we left off in RDR2.. they were so happy.. good things never last I guess. Will Arthur be mentioned? Or was he an invention after-the-fact?

Hmmm!

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I think it takes place like 5 or 10 years after RDR2? I have to look it up I'm not sure. Blackwater looked a bit different.. and has a train station.. so that's new. John looks different.. but I'd say that's as much to do with the game engine/artistic stuff than anything else.

No first person mode is a bummer.. I played the entirely of RDR2 in first person mode as it was more immersive for me.. gotta get used to 3rd person now. Controls are a bit different, so will need to 'relearn' things a bit. I haven't found a way to talk to random people.. guess you can't? (You can Greet/Antagonize almost everyone in RDR2).

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
No, only 4 years after the epilogue. You should recognize Ross when he shows up, neither of the two agents accompanying Marston are him. You're going to run into a lot anachronisms, both story and ability-wise (Dead-Eye). Expect no mention of gang members that aren't Dutch, Bill or Javier. As for John and planning, they made it pretty clear early in RDR2 that John was a dumbass. "You IMPLORE me?!"

I'll leave you with this. John really should have listened to Abigail. Oh, and look for a familiar face in Mexico.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
John got shot on that job, just assume the McCourt killing happened after that, or that John was working a different part of the heist, and wasn't present at the killing.

I really wish that had made it into the game, either as a playable mission or as a cutscene. I understand why they didn't, though.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
That is true. I figure that quest line should give some answers too..

One nice thing this time around.. the controls are really easy to pickup. The first time I tried the game I really didn't like the controls, but after sinking 100+ hours into RDR2 they now feel more natural.. I think RDR2 controls better overall, as it's more refined and you can do more, but this is serviceable.

Just did the barn burning for Bonnie.. god I hope I'm almost done with her quest line.. nice lady and all but.. ehh.

When given choices, I'm playing John as I'd imagine him to be after all he went through with Arthur.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
That is Bonnie's last mission. There should be a Leigh Johnson mission (it's a good'un) that will be the last time you see Bonnie until
after the John is reunited with his family.

I really liked Bonnie, and kept hoping she and John would become a thing.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I feel like her voice acting needs some work, hell, almost all of them do except John and the Marshall (so far). But that is likely just quality difference between 2010 and 2018. I got spoiled with the sheer awesomeness of RDR2 first. Bonnie just sounds very "forced cowpokie" I guess.

My only other real gripe so far is everything is so brown. Brown brown brown! I get it's supposed to be the Southwest and all.. but I hope I find places with color. The 360/PS3 generation was known for its brown/hazy games, which they used to cover up technical limitations. I remember GTA San Andreas was the same way, so brown (Not just the protagonist!).

I'm trying to power through the story missions, it says I'm 16% done. Finally unlocked the targeting in Deadeye.. that's handy. How long would you say the game in compared to RDR2? I haven't seen any kind of crafting or anything.. are the skins and meat just 'for sell' or can you use them for something later?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Boy, you're gonna hate the Nigel West Dickens missions. Fuck me, are they a chore.
It'll get less brown once you get up into Tall Trees and Cochina. No crafting that I can recall. You may need to complete certain hunting/gathering challenges to unlock scraps for the various outfits.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I didn't have a problem with the Dead Eye system in RDR2, but the dueling felt like a step backwards. Not there was much of it anyway.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I didn't even know what happened just WHAM and my horse was dead and I was on the ground.. bastards. At least horses don't seem to be as important as RDR2? I just whistled and another one came over (and then got killed by a different cougar lol).

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
The horse thing is far better in RDR1. Just whistle and your dead horse will return. Go to the store and buy the deeds to the better ones. In Undead Nightmare you can the four horses of the apocalypse. A couple of them have unlimited stamina. In typical:eddieism: fashion, I like the unicorn with a rainbow/butterfly trail behind you. It just seems hilarious in a western game. The flaming one is pretty cool too.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I haven't tried Undead Nightmare yet. Is it unrelated to the normal story?

Started Nigel's quests.. and.. yeah.. man that Seth guy is weird as fuck. It all feels very.. I don't know, convoluted compared to RDR2. Like.. I saw and had a shootout with Bill Williamson, but sure, lets do all these random missions to come up with a weird Trojan horse plan to get into his little fort. Hopefully it plays out well, but kinda feels like filler right now.

The map is much smaller. It looked really big, but then I realized we rode from Armadillo to Tumbleweed in a couple of minutes. The RDR2 map must be gigantic in comparison!

The 'stranger' missions are kind of odd, I've seen them repeat a number of time.. so many fellers need help saving their friend who is about to be hung.. how the heck do you save them? I tried shooting the rope but can't figure it out and they die.. then I loot all the bodies.

Is money very important? I loot/pickup everything I can and I seem to have all I can buy.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Pretty sure all you do is deadeye the rope. I honestly can't recall. Just guessing.

Money seems to be mostly important if you're trying to complete the poker side stuff. I suck at it so I've lost LOTS of money doing that.

Undead Nightmare, I played after the I finished the main game. It plays off of the main story, but isn't necessarily part of it.

Yeah, the map is a fraction of RDR2 which was overwhelming at first. Exciting, but overwhelming.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
JFC.. is Rio Bravo made up of nothing but cougars waiting in the bushes? I literally killed *8* of them just walking from 1 spot to another. One would ambush me, I'd kill it, skin it, and then WHAM another one pops out.. jesus! Then there was some lady asked for help and she was being chased by wolves AND cougars! Double You Tee Eff! This is like Far Cry 5 style animals!

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The subtitle for RDR1 should be RDR: Cougars!

The wolves are kind of annoying in RDR2. Easy to kill or evade if on a horse, but still annoying to have to deal with them o frequently.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah I think I only ever found like 1 or 2 Cougars/Pumas and that was when searching for them for pelts.

Wolf packs showed up once and a while, but were generally never a threat outside of the early game when I didn't quite know what was going on.

Other than that the animals were super peaceful in RDR2.. totally different here!

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I don't buy it, but it would be pretty goddamn cool, and a small bit of consolation for R* fucking us on RDR2 single player DLC.