REVIEW: Imaginext Collectible Figures - Bomb Disposal Expert

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014
Full Review Here:

That Figures: REVIEW: Imaginext Collectible Figures - Bomb Disposal Expert

Final Thoughts
The Imaginext toys are a lot of fun. I like that they feel very durable and would be great for the younger audience, as I'd have no worries about them breaking or coming apart. The accessories are also large enough to ensure they're not going to disappear into the eternal void of your carpet, never to be seen again, which again means they're ideal for the youngsters.

But even for older collectors, there's a lot of fun to be had here.

For starters, blind-bag toys are always fun. There are eight characters in Series 3 (as there were in Series 2, a drop of four characters from Series 1) and the packaging is stamped with a numerical ID that can be used to locate which specific figures your'e looking for. But if you prefer Pot Luck - but don't want duplicate figures - you can simply check the codes against each other (although I have to admit, in my rush to grab what was left I didn't pay enough attention and managed to get two matching figures...) which keeps the surprise of the blind-bag selection but avoids the disappointment of getting repeat figures.

Then there's the figures themselves. Not only does the Imaginext line appear to be a homage to pretty much every toyline of yesteryear (with everything from Adventure People and The Masters of the Universe to Micronauts getting a little nod) there are also a lot of in-jokes that will only really be understood by older collectors. This wave sees a Walter ''Breaking Bad'' White cameo plus what's very clearly a Creature from the Black Lagoon riff alongside a zombie who sports a head-covering flour sack that would see him right at home around Camp Crystal Lake.

The pricing is also major factor, especially when you consider that the (much smaller) LEGO Minifigures come in at around the same price-point. If you're a collector who likes a big bang for your buck (well, three bucks) or you're a parent looking to purchase an affordable but high-quality, durable toy for your kids, then you should definitely check out the Imaginext line.

As for the Bomb Disposal Expert, he's a very cool figure indeed. The green coloring is striking enough to make him pop but not so garish as to make him cartoony. OK, he's not going to blend in with your GI Joes or even True Heroes but he's also got enough of a realistic look about him - albeit rendered in a chunky, toy-like way - to give him a broad appeal. If you were a fan of the GI Joe Combat Heroes or you just want an SD-style military toy then you're sure to like this figure.

Beyond that there's really little much to add, as these figures are very much a case of what you see is what you get. And as you can see, you get a lot. If you're not a fan of the Imaginext line then you probably won't get why this is such a cool figure but if you're already a convert - or if you're looking for an entry point that's not too ''childish'' - then you'll love the Bomb Disposal Expert.

A fun, high-quality figure with great detailing and accessories, who looks great and will cost you about $3. How can you not want this?

Details, Images and More Here:

That Figures: REVIEW: Imaginext Collectible Figures - Bomb Disposal Expert

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Without his bomb suit, the base figure reminds me a lot of some of the original GI Joe figures.

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014
Without his bomb suit, the base figure reminds me a lot of some of the original GI Joe figures.

I kept thinking of Clutch/Double-Clutch or possibly Grunt. That's the cool/weird thing about the Imaginext toys though (and I'm sure it's not just me projecting) - they have echoes of lots of other past toys.

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014
Seen this line while shoppingwith my 3 and 6 year old boys. Some figs could work for some sci fi power armor conversios.

They're really great toys. I know you probably don't believe me and think they look a little ''kiddy'' but think of them as more ''retro'' and then you won't feel quite so bad about buying them for yourself. :)

There's a great space/alien line, too, with vehicle/figure packs starting at about $7.

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014
Just kidding, cool review on something not many collectors look at. Lots of cool things out there for people to collect, and this could be one of them.

It's by no means a realistic, military-themed line but if you like retro toys or had any of the older lines like MOTU, Micronauts, Adventure People, etc or pretty much any other 70s/80s toys, you'll find a lot to enjoy with the Imaginext figures.

I also love that their Deathstroke is called ''Slade'' and their Killer Croc is called ''K. Croc.'' :)

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
They're really great toys. I know you probably don't believe me and think they look a little ''kiddy'' but think of them as more ''retro'' and then you won't feel quite so bad about buying them for yourself. :)

There's a great space/alien line, too, with vehicle/figure packs starting at about $7.

Great review, and I like those aliens. I picked up a couple of them already. I really like some of the stuff they make in this line.

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014
K-Tiger likes lots of "retro" things. Retro-styled "action" figures don't happen to be one of them.

I think a lot of designers read ''retro'' as being something they should do ironically. That's why I don't like some of the ReAction figures, as they just don't make sense to me (the exceptions being the Alien and Universal Monster ones, as they really do look like figures from the time, rather than modern figures trying to be vintage.) The Warpo figures are the same: they look like vintage toys, rather than retro (if that makes sense.)

The Imaginext toys have a very retro feel to them but I think a lot of that comes from (A) the simplicity of them and (B) the numerous flashbacks I experience when I look at them. Maybe I'm just projecting onto them, but they remind me of the toys I played with as a kid and I really like that.

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014
Great review, and I like those aliens. I picked up a couple of them already. I really like some of the stuff they make in this line.

There are some great new space sets coming out. I'll be all over them when they hit.