REVIEW: Mega Bloks Assassin's Creed Pirate Crew Pack

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014
FULL REVIEW AND PICS HERE:

That Figures: REVIEW: Mega Bloks Assassin's Creed Pirate Crew Pack

Final Thoughts
There's a lot of good here but there's also room for improvement.

The most obvious difference compared to the previous Micro Action Figure sets we've seen is the diorama piece. It's half the size of the plates used in the Call of Duty line and, as a result, the entire piece suffers. Whilst the figures can stand unaided fairly well, I like having my figures interact with the diorama as well as each other. And here there's simply not enough room to do so. Like I said above, place more than three figures on the plate and it becomes very crowded. Not the ideal way to display five figures effectively.

Then there's the lack of accessories. I loved how the Call of Duty sets gave you options and allowed you to display each soldier with a variety of weapons or with other, non-weapon pieces of equipment to tell a story within your display. Here though the options are exceedingly limited, with there effectively being a 1:1 ratio of figures to weapons. And considering that - color differences aside - four of the six weapons included are pretty identical, it does make for a fairly monotonous experience when posing the figures.

As for the figures themselves, again (and I hate going back to it but it's applicable given they're by the same company) the Call of Duty figures had a sense of individuality that's lacking in this set, where instead we have four figures clad in the same shirt (color changes notwithstanding) and pants, a few of whom have the same sash piece and near-identical hair. Even switching the parts around does little but add a change of color to their wardrobe. And the fact that one figure has virtually no embellishment - and worst of all, a hole in the top of his head! - is pretty unforgivable.

To me it almost feels like buying a five-figure set and getting it home, only to discover that three of the figures are blank, Dunny-like toys. They have their place and people with the parts to enhance and customize them will find them most welcome, but as a straight out of the box experience, it's a little disappointing to see how incomplete some of the figures feel. (It's worth noting I wrote ''characters'' there and then deleted it, as there's a definite lack of character with the three generic figures.)

On the plus side, the Assassin himself and the ''Captain'' are both really cool figures and had the other three been up to this standard, I'd have been much happier with this set. As it is though, I'm not entirely sure I can really recommend the Pirate Crew Pack without the caveat that you're essentially buying two good figures, two average figures (who are almost identical) and one weak figure along with a few accessories and a diorama that's really just too small to be much use.

A refreshing change from the military-themed Mega Bloks figures but it's let down by the lack of accessories and the generic nature of the figures.

MORE:
That Figures: REVIEW: Mega Bloks Assassin's Creed Pirate Crew Pack