Shit you watch on TV

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Ended up watching the Oscars last night.. though I had no plans to. The wife recorded it and put it on while I was doing other stuff..

You know, it wasn't terrible. There were only a couple of stupid political "jokes", outside of the acceptance speeches.. which I won't fault the Oscars for their content. As usual, movies I like don't win.. but the music stuff was decent.

All in all it was one of the better ones in recent memory, I laughed a little. It's no where near how good they used to be back in the day.. but such is life.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Just finished the recent season of True Detective. I've seen bits and pieces of the other seasons, this one was pretty good, but seemed to run short. 6 or 7 episodes? The ending seemed to wrap up pretty cleanly and quickly....almost too much so.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Still plowing through Last Man Standing, somewhere in Season 3 now. It's dangerous because I could literally sit down and watch 10 episodes back to back to back if I let myself. I had to turn it off and put on Punisher so I could try and get through that show. LMS makes me laugh out loud every episode.
Something I don't think I've mentioned previously. If you get WGN, channel?, I recommend watching it there as opposed to on CMT. WGN shows the show in its entirety including the stinger at the end of the episode. CMT cuts bits out throughout the episode and snips off the stinger in favor of more commercials. We still find ourselves seeing parts we've never seen watching it on WGN.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
They should have struck that iron years ago, not while things are in decline.

Finished S2 of The Punisher last night. Pretty good conclusion. It had a lot of pieces that had to come together in that one episode and it did a good job tying it up. Overall, pretty good. Shame it'll be at least 2 years until Disney can reintroduce it and the other "cancelled" Marvel shows from Netflix on their soon to exist streaming platform. I'm optimistic it will happen though, as anywhere there is money to be had, Disney jumps on it.

Still gonna finish watching DD S2 to get the rest of the Punisher content out there.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Something I don't think I've mentioned previously. If you get WGN, channel?, I recommend watching it there as opposed to on CMT. WGN shows the show in its entirety including the stinger at the end of the episode. CMT cuts bits out throughout the episode and snips off the stinger in favor of more commercials. We still find ourselves seeing parts we've never seen watching it on WGN.
Interesting.. I have all the episodes recorded on my DVR now, but they're from a mix of sources so I see some from WGN some from CMT some from other channels.. I didn't realize there was a difference!

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Finished Daredevil S2 last night. Not bad, but I wish I had significant interest in the actual DD story, but I don't. I was never and still am not really a fan. I really liked The Punisher series much more, and he's much better in his own series. They even took the characters I liked best over. Meh, I can't really say there are any other Marvel/Netflix shows I want to see either. They all seem so... limited.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I did like the Kingpin's appearance in season 2. I just can't tolerate DD's whole "I'll beat them up until they relent" mantra. All that happens is that they keep coming back, and hurting other people in between. I prefer Frank's approach to evil people.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Finished watching S1 of Project Blue Book. Overall, not bad. I like the main characters pretty well. I also like that they took real incidents and dramatized them and added the characters to it. I also like the Russian espionage elements. So yeah, mostly good.

Also started watching Designated Survivor last night with the wife. At 4 episodes in, I’m still mixed at this point. I like parts of it, but get annoyed at some of the embedded propaganda at times. Sutherland is pretty good, as are the other main characters. It obviously doesn’t have a movie budget, but they manage for the most part. I’ll follow up more as we get further into S1.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I really liked Designated Survivor, and was sad to hear recently it wasn't renewed for a 3rd season. S01 and S02 are good though. There were some episodes that seemed propagandist.. but that kind of went both ways for different sides, it did feel like he was genuinely trying to be a middle of the road President.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Just finished watching Designated Survivor episode 7. Definitely getting pretty good now. Love the intrigue. And the President (by succession) is making decent (tough) decisions, not just the left preferred ones. He’s actually acting like the registered independent he’s supposed to be. Let’s hope the show’s trajectory keeps heading up.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Finished off the season for The Walking Dead last night. Not terrible, but not great. The episode before the finale was the usual kill off episode where they rather unceremoniously ended a number of characters whose actors likely wanted off or were at the end of contract. I wouldn't say I'll miss any of them. Was surprised by one of the long time but up and coming ones, but she is likely off to do other things before the show truly jumps the shark. The other "main" character death was really no surprise, as her particular demographic had, yet again, been replaced by newer characters. It was just a slight surprise that, for such a long time character, she really didn't get much of a build up, but her significant storyline ended long ago, so she was way overdue and truly a leftover misfit for the past few seasons anyway.

What really surprised me was just how quickly they ended them. For whatever reason, my DVR cut off the last 25 minutes of the second to last episode (weird episode length didn't get picked up by DTV or something) without us realizing how much time it was or that it was significant. So we started the last episode and everybody was talking about "who they had lost" and all that. I was wondering if somehow the episodes got aired in the wrong order or something, because they mentioned a number of people and some kind of major incident. Turns out they had offed a bunch in just the 15 or so actual episode minutes (sans the commercial time). I went back and watched it and , sure enough, ten people (some relatively significant) in that short of time. What do you know...

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
We're pretty close to that ourselves. All it would take would be for the right character or two to depart. We mainly watch out of habit now and make fun of the particularly stupid stuff that happens sometimes. There was a hint right at the end of contact with someone unknown. Could either be new characters or a revival of one of the older ones to try to breath new life into the dying franchise.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
So what ever happened to Negan? I watched maybe the first episode of this season and then gave up completely.

And on Project Blue Book......I wanted to like it and I had hopes for it, but in the end, for me, it was just another X-Files. I missed the last three or four episodes and don't care enough to try and catch up.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yeah, PBB was okay. I wouldn't even call it quite as engaging as X-Files was. I watched that pretty regularly back in the day.

Negan is still around, as a prisoner in Alexandria. They are slowly turning him semi-sympathetic, as he and Judith are apparently pals. He had to rescue her during the blizzard they had sweep in. It was full-on killer, blustery (blow debris around enough to injure/kill you) and subzero, no visibility, upper Midwest caliber stuff. My wife and I had to laugh. Their location is... Virginia. We don't get that here. We have the Appalachians to break that stuff up. We either get the bone-dry cold or the snow at just sub-freezing, and it's never "get turned around in the blowing snow and you die." And then you just wait a couple days and it's sunny and 50°F+. Maybe they think that, without significant population, the world will enter "global cooling" or something... :rolleyes:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Maybe they think that, without significant population, the world will enter "global cooling" or something... :rolleyes:
Ha! You joke but I bet that was exactly their rational. Genuinely surprised they didn't outright say it. "We never had this kind of weather when the world was more populated and polluted." Probably would hurt the narrative. Who wouldn't prefer what we have now to random blizzards.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I wonder, what do they think the weather would be like if we got rid of fossil fuels and plastic and styrofoam and toxic waste and whatever else they deem a climate change problem? Ef it, lets get rid of humans too. Would the weather just be 90210 forever and ever and ever? Would the waters recede? What's their perfect vision? Some kind of paradise? Is that what it was before humans?

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I remember reading somewhere that if humans disappeared tomorrow, things might change for the better overall, but all those nuclear power plants would go full melt-down after just a few days and blow-up/leak all over the place. I don't know where all their locations are, but I'll go ahead and assume we are all down-wind of one somehow or another.