Shit you watch on TV

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I'm watching black summer at PCs recommendation and.. I dunno. Not really digging it. Starting ep3 but it just seems too all over the place. Its short, like 35 minute episodes and just feels like it was filmed on some streets in the middle of the day with a filter on.

Jamie King has gotten kinda haggard.

Lots of little nitpicks and stuff I'll not mention.

Maybe it gets better? It's so short I'm trying.

Fast zombies at least make it sorta more plausible.. but there is so little exposition that I'm not at all invested in the world or the characters. Every second has basically been someone running (breathlessly) from one spot to another or driving around with (very) fake engine revving noises pretending they're speeding.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Army guys have all kinds of facial hair that looks non regulations. People acting stupid (which I guess could be realistic). The aforementioned fake speeding scenes. They added the sound of an engine redlining and the slamming on the breaks, but you can see out the side window and they never get above 15 mph probably.

It's so far all been in Generic as hell suburbia which is just.. boring. Same drab video filter to make things look gritty.

Really though I am just not seeing a point so far. Basically 1 lady is trying to find her daughter, but mostly its just people running around scared and I find myself really not caring about them or anything else in this world.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I'll wait for what pcs liked about it.. but I am just not feeling it at all. Finished episode 4 and am turning it off for the night.

There's a deaf Indian guy lol. This looks like super white bread suburbia but you have one of everything being represented which normally I wouldn't care about but it just seems silly here.

Budget must have been super small. They had a big army truck that "crashed" and was "wrecked" aka they had some smoke coming out of its opened hood with no actual damage to the truck..

Le sigh. I want details on the world.. what happened.. what is happening.. this throws you into like day 10 with no exposition at all.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
All those things are why I like it. To me it feels more like what the situation would really like and it’s basically in real time. I’m use to low budget stuff on Netflix so things like the same blue 80’s Jetta on the side of the road in every scene do not bother me. From what I gathered from one throw away line from the old lady is it happened 6 weeks prior, so time for some beards to grow. The episode in the school is where it got fun for me since it settled down a bit character wise and I just like that it is the opposite of TWD in every way. I also like that there are no heroes, zombie hordes, people racking up countless headshots, baseball bats or boss villains. It doesn’t have the hook of everyone banding together to get to the CDC to save the world, it’s just chaos in the suburbs on a scale that feels right. I do wish they would zoom out for a minute and show what the F-22’s are bombing endlessly.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
There basically is no plot and only a hair thin goal of reaching the stadium, but the focus is just a half dozen people in a couple very loose groups just trying to survive suburbia in real time. I’m maybe 5 episodes in and it’s only the 2nd day. Very few zombies, but they have true impact since they are human fast with human strength. The show is cut into 3-5min segments which I can see being very annoying, but for some reason I like it. That’s how they can do it real time and cover a wide swath of people in the beginning.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
There basically is no plot and only a hair thin goal of reaching the stadium, but the focus is just a half dozen people in a couple very loose groups just trying to survive suburbia in real time. I’m maybe 5 episodes in and it’s only the 2nd day. Very few zombies, but they have true impact since they are human fast with human strength. The show is cut into 3-5min segments which I can see being very annoying, but for some reason I like it. That’s how they can do it real time and cover a wide swath of people in the beginning.
NSA wins. I have yet to turn it back on. Must have just been in the right mood that night I found it.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
It's kind of a weird mix of Galaxy Quest and actual Star Trek.. it's not a straight parody like GQ was.. but it's a lot more humorous than a normal Star Trek episode. It's on FOX.

The CGI is usually very well done, the laughs are done well, and the story lines as usually pretty good/interesting. A lot of similar themes between old ST episodes, but they usually have a twist to them.

I really like it.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
We watched some of the first season but gave up because they sold it differently than what was delivered. Or at least my expectations coupled with the trailers coupled with it being by the same guy that does Family Guy, American Dad and starred in A Million Ways to Die in the West, were different than what was delivered.

I have never given a rats fanny about Star Trek and Orville is basically ST with just a hint more humor. I expected the reverse. More humor with just a hint of ST.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Shit, I missed your post. Just 10. Which is a problem, considering the fireball the season finale was. A whole damn year to wait.

At the risk of being an asshole, Cobra Kai kind of makes me mad at the thought of what episodes VIII-X could have been if the people in charge had cared enough to put the story in front of their personal political agendas and merchandising profit projections.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Shit, I missed your post. Just 10. Which is a problem, considering the fireball the season finale was. A whole damn year to wait.

At the risk of being an asshole, Cobra Kai kind of makes me mad at the thought of what episodes VIII-X could have been if the people in charge had cared enough to put the story in front of their personal political agendas and merchandising profit projections.
True true.. I feel like it is just the right mix of nostalgia/making fun of nostalgia/new blood and just good storytelling. I still need to finish S02 (started 1st episode), but I really really enjoyed season 1.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
Its kind of weird that they are implying that Ghost Rider although its the same actor is a reboot & not related to AoS.

Which sounds like a mistake.

RunAways is & isn't in the MCU. I think this might be a Hulu thing where they do not want the headache of merging Marvel properties.

So I am hoping that the new Hulu shows stay in this Hulu zone. I really hope that they acknowledge the shows won't merge with the Movie/netflix universe, but not disavow what happened previously on the "other" network.

Mixed feelings about this but like someone else on another website said I'd like to see a Deathlok series.