Shit you watch on TV

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
That sucks.. but I guess it doesn't preclude it from being taken up again if they fix the issue or move somewhere else.

All the entertainment tax break shit is ridiculous if I'm being honest. But so is the corporate tax break stuff. I'm all for helping business which helps employees etc but some of the stuff we're at now (and have been for a while) is ridiculous.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
We just pulled the plug on cable completely. We now have only Roku. Currently going through cable withdrawal, I knew where everything was even though I only watched a tiny portion of what was available. There's just....so much stuff on Roku, I don't even know where to begin. And the stuff I want to watch, I don't currently know where it is so I can't watch it and I don't really feel like combing through the hundreds of channels to look for it.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
When I first got roku I thought I'd only lose the CW shows. But they are now on both the cw app & Hulu live.

Only thing I miss is Dr Who which I kind of stopped watching before I pulled the plug & havn't heard good things about Girl Dr.

I have Netflix, Hulu & Amazon Prime. That covers anything I'd want to watch.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I would say I watched random stuff, but it was usually the same channels...HBO and FX...sometimes the History channel. I don't know what my problem is with Roku. They have pretty much the same stuff (or can, if we purchase HBO...for instance). Maybe my problem is I don't know where to find most of the stuff I would watch....and I'm to lazy to go look for it.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Watched the first ep of Stranger Things. Literally the opening is "Muh Russia!!" Wonder if there'll be some eeeeevil Trump like American character that defends/supports russia russia russia. 😏

Yes, I get that muh russia fits in the 80's, but, c'mon.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Stranger Things 3 was... good.

I actually watched it twice, once alone and then again with a friend. I liked it better the 2nd time, since I picked up on a ton more 80s references that I guess I missed the first time. I would guess it's better than season 2, but not better than season 1. Season 1 really captured something magical that I don't know if they can recreate again. The 80s childlike wonder and also scariness was top notch. I will say they seem to be doing homages to different 80s-type movies and genres.. so it's not all the same. This felt more John Hughes than anything.

Looking forward to what they do with Season 4 (and maybe 5?).

Didn't see anything really pertaining to Trump or the like, it all felt very 80's-centric. I did see some people online bitching that it has too much SMOKING in it, and so they're going to tone down the SMOKING in future seasons. Come on people.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I don't think it was ever used to look cool.. more just what adults did with their free time between waiting, or when dealing with stressful thing. I dunno, I grew up then so it all just seemed.. normal? Hopper lit up in the middle of a restaurant and I thought it was weird but remembered oh yeah you used to be able to do that.

I've never been into smoking, thankfully, and don't like people who do smoke.. but I don't feel like we should retroactively erase history either.. or how things were. But whatever.. it's not a huge issue, just crazy that people can and will complain about anything/everything.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
We've only watched the one ep so far, but the thing about it and the trailers I am not liking is the focus on the teen romance. I preferred it when they were just Gooines-like kids. Being dorky kids, not horny teens. Teenage romance garbage just isn't interesting at all to me. I'm not nostalgic for that. I'm nostalgic for kids on bikes going on adventures, big and small. I fear the more seasons we get, the bigger the focus on teen romance and angst we will get. Bleh.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
There is a LOT of that in this season, it all kind of revolves around that.. but sadly how could it not? The kids are getting older and in the flashback scenes you see how tiny they were in season 1.. no way could you keep that act up now. They could introduce NEW younger kids I guess (siblings?) but that would just kinda feel forced I think.

I wasn't a teenager in the 80s, but I did love the 80s movies about teenagers.. so this kind of fills that niche.. combined with movies like Terminator and those small town horror monster movies in the 80s.

Once everyone has seen it I'll talk spoiler stuff.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
There is a LOT of that in this season, it all kind of revolves around that..
Ugh. The "Gotta see it!" excitement will not be there this season if I even get through it. I might end up bailing on the show entirely. On top of the horny teens crap, the interracial push isn't something I look forward to watching either and I bet my wife that one of the kids ends up being gay/tranny/whatever. There is just no way three seasons in that they don't start heavily pushing agendas.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I don't think I remember any interracial push stuff. You have the 1 black kid, his sister, and I think there is a black cop (who was in previous seasons). Of course with no other black people, the black kid is going to date a whitey. I really think it's reaching to think of that as a push.. as it really kind of mirrored a lot of my growing up where you had the token black or token mexican kid at school. I will say they didn't introduce a new family of hoodrats or anything and the majority of the show is authentic mid-west white folks.

Spoiler, but just for Eddie's eyes.
One of the new characters this season turns out to be gay, but I suppose in the least offensive ways possible.. though I would say it's not something we needed to have and doesn't do much for the story other than explain 1 thing.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I wasn't referring to more/less black folks. I was specifically talking about the whitest of white girls (redhead) dating the black kid. The interracial push. It's not necessary, so it's a push. And if you watched the season 1 and 2 recap the redhead says "and oh yeah, my character and Lucas are now dating, and it's awesome!" 🙄 Or how I heard it "Hey other little white girls watching the show! Diversity is a strength!"

But that's just me being :racist: because l agree with Mohammad Ali.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Been watching Stranger Things with the wife. Up to ep 5. It’s definitely got the inept white guy who has to be bailed out by the girl thing going on, like a lot. Besides that, not bad.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Finally finished Stranger Things last night. It seems the universe was never meant to become so damn popular and now they are scrambling to hold the magic together while giving us more content. How many more stories are left to be told? I thought for sure this season would bring in the other numbered kids from the experiment, but maybe they are saving that for next season. Regardless, I like the general direction of the show, but it certainly does not have that pop that made us all wet ourselves in season 1.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Watched a bit of a Formula E race yesterday. Seems like that might eventually dwarf fuel powered racing, that is, unless the batteries start to blow up during/after wrecks. Seems like they are plenty powerful enough to take over, at least on the non-ovals, where speeds stay below 200.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Finally finished Stranger Things last night. It seems the universe was never meant to become so damn popular and now they are scrambling to hold the magic together while giving us more content. How many more stories are left to be told? I thought for sure this season would bring in the other numbered kids from the experiment, but maybe they are saving that for next season. Regardless, I like the general direction of the show, but it certainly does not have that pop that made us all wet ourselves in season 1.
Yeah.. I think I liked S03 better than S02, but both pale in comparison to S01. Hard to really put a finger on it, other than it was just one of those "lightning in a bottle" phenomenon that happens from time to time.

I think the "childhood innocence" of S01 was kind of a big draw, now, while they're all still young, they've "been through the shit" so it's not really the same. It was really the typical 80s trope of the kids know whats going on and none of the adults believe them.. a la Goonies.. etc. Now it's like half the damn town knows, or is with the bad guys. I also think the 'nerd' angle was attractive.. playing D&D.. and now we're all Will.. just wanting to play some D&D. I don't think the new direction is more entertaining.. but it is more realistic. Hell, we all grew out of toys at some point too (probably for girls too).

That being said.. you literally couldn't keep doing S01.. it wouldn't work, the kids themselves are getting older and as time passes you need to progress through the 80s. This season really does feel like one of those wacky mid-80s action movies with the evil Russian bad guys. Which.. I mean, it's authentic I guess? I don't know how you avoid the teen romance angle due to their age.. and I'm mostly fine with it.. hopefully it's left on the back burner for next season (except for Steve).

Also.. I just realized the Duffer Brothers were born in 1984! Holy shit! The show starts before they were even born!

I have no clue what they'll do for next season, I'd be fine with 2 more (they said they wanted to do 4 or 5 total). Maybe a 1987 and then a 1989/1990 "new years" episode as the finale? They'd be.. shoot almost 18 or something by then? Could be more of a straight Red Dawn type movie or something.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I like Season 3 of ST quite a bit, you can just tell it blew up way bigger than their writing had compensated for in Season 1. The Russian angle and Hopper PI were great along with every angle they took with the kids growing up. Each season is going to be tougher to pull off as they get further from that initial lightening in a bottle, but so far they are doing it well enough. I'd hate it if they tried to keep repeating Season 1 with the boys doing the same thing over and over. "What did you think, we'd hang in my basement playing D&D forever?"

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yeah, you have to like the homages to the stuff that was actually a part of the pop culture back then. Granted, I'm not finished yet, but they are really going to have to explain HTF some of the Russian infiltration could happen unnoticed before they close out the season. I'm still suspending my disbelief as well as I can, but, with the entire country perpetually on high alert for the evil Ruskies back then, they gotta give me something on that.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Ok, finished up tonight. It was ok. They recaptured a little of the magic from the earlier season, caught a little more ‘80’s nostalgia, but then ruined the best new character by SJW, had way too much unnecessary profanity, took way too long in the last episode and (maybe) killed off the best character in the show. And they never entirely explained the Ruskies, but maybe hinted to it at the very end. Overall, I’m certainly not as excited for next season as previously (it’ll inevitably have even more SJW revisionism), but don’t feel like I totally wasted my time either.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Thus the ***(maybe)***. :p He better be alive. If not, I have very little interest. He's easily the best character. His interactions with crazy Joyce and Mike were gold.

After giving it a night, I guess I look back a little more favorably on it. In the moment though, meh, they could have significantly shortened up the final two episodes by cutting out a lot of the gushingly sentimental crap. Still pissed at what they did to ice cream girl and to Steve (those uniforms :rolleyes:). And the lack of explanation on how the Ruskies infiltrated so easily into Midwest USA in the '80's... maybe some kind of portal? (Would explain why the Marines weren't engaging anybody in the tunnels). But it wasn't clearly defined at all. Anybody who grew up in that time knows that anybody speaking Russian (or even sporting a significant enough accent) in the open in the heartland of the US would stick out like a sore thumb and was clearly up to no good and worth a call to the authorities. And they certainly weren't just flying in there commercially back then.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I imagine you're just supposed to take it at face value and not think too much about it. That the Russia in this is the "mythical russia superpower" and not the one we all realized barely existed once the Cold War ended. Portal could make sense I guess, but it closed when Hopper blew it up.. so not sure how they all escaped (with 'the American') as well. Imagine they'll explain it next season. They did allude to them openly going around buying up property from the corrupt mayor.. so who knows.

SJW girl.. yeah, I dunno, not needed for sure, but I wasn't super offended by it or anything, I just felt bad for my boy Steve.. but that's kind of his shtick now.. so.. I dunno, I'm not too worked up about it, as I thought it was a clever swerve and didn't see it coming.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yeah, I was definitely pulling for Steve since he got the shaft in the past (even though it was back when he was a d-bag and deserved it). But he had turned the corner to be a good guy and deserved a break, so I was certainly disappointed that he was gonna flop again. And, of course, she's the smartest and most developed of the new characters, so Hollywood demands that she must be... whatever fringe thing is en vogue right now. I suppose I wouldn't be as annoyed if TWD hadn't just done the same thing like 5 times in a row now. It's gotten old... very very old.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
We finished up Breaking Bad a couple weeks ago and started Better Call Saul right after. BB was good, but we didn't think deserving of the obnoxious amount of hype it received. Maybe it was our own fault for watching all of Dexter before BB. Though I will say the last season of BB was pretty awesome when it came crashing down. BCS is pretty good. I don't like the battle between Saul and his crazy brother. It's getting really annoying and unrealistic. Kind of like how everyone unrealistically tolerated Sheldon in Big Bang. But we do love the backstory and beginnings of "the chicken man's" operation and Mike.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I started BCS but only got through the first season maybe.. I wanted to watch more but got distracted.

I liked BB.. but also binged the first 3 seasons and then watched the last 2 "live" so there was hype build up to see what happened.

Binging stuff rarely ever gets those same kind of feelings from me.. it just comes and goes too quickly. Having a week between episodes is annoying.. but it lets you talk and think and discuss it whereas you forget about episode 5 by the time you've on episode 9 when binging.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I started BCS but only got through the first season maybe.. I wanted to watch more but got distracted.
It gets much better the longer you watch. The more they introduce the characters you know from BB and their back stories, the more interesting it becomes. The rivalry between "chicken man" and "wheelchair/ding-ding man" is cool to see develop. S3 is where we are currently and where things are really getting good. Neurotic Lidia just showed up. I hope she's in it a lot more. So far, no Hank.😒