Show Your Whip....What you ride in.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
I've bought two cars in the last 17 years! I get the feeling I must be doing life wrong...
Ha! Yes! Samesies! ;)

I just love saving money too much. But yeah, maybe I'm doing it wrong too. Not making enough to feel at ease with a note and insurance AND saving. But I get the feeling I'd just save it all if I had more. :lmao:

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Mostly just a lot of changing family dynamics.. wife's cars.. bad luck..

2010 Fusion - Great car, had it about 2 years, but got rear ended (giggity!) on the freeway which totaled it allowing me to buy a new..

->

2012 Focus! Fine car, except their new transmission was a PIECE OF SHIT, only in this year though. Should have got it lemon law'd but was too lazy. Wife had a new Camaro, but we were having a baby so that wouldn't really work. Traded it in and..

->

2012 Focus + 2013 Explorer! You may not know, but an Explorer has a lot more room for baby stuff than a Camaro. The woman started having to commute for work, and used my car because gas mileage.. and she hated the Focus so..

-> 2013 Explorer + 2014 Fusion! The Fusion is a hybrid, and is nice and runs fine. Gets about 40MPG average. We went to buy a house and the Explorer was in my wifes name and she needed it off her credit report so we traded it in early (was a lease) and..

-> Fusion + Edge! I got the Edge lease in my name. It sucked that it was smaller but we made due for a couple of years, but trying to fit 3 kids in the back seat for long drives wasn't very comfy.. and we have a 9 hour drive coming up so..

-> Fusion + Flex! Way more room for the kids and stuff.

We've been leasing the SUV's, which seems to work out decently as the payments are not too much, and the kids keep ruining them.. so swapping them out is nice. Plan to hopefully keep the Fusion until we pay it off.. assuming it keeps running. Though now that the wife has the new car, I feel a little bit of new car fever too...

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I've had new-car-fever for a decade now, but the stab...

Side note: I had an uncle who loved to buy and sell classic cars, and he would always refer to monthly payments as "the stab". "That's a nice car! What's the stab?!" I have since adopted this affectation, as I find it both appropriate and charming.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
While I would love to widebody this big boy up, I'm probably going to at least wait another 14 months until the factory warranty expires :)

Drove it back from atlanta last night, and as I told a buddy of mine, I don't think this is new-car-euphoria talking when I say it's absolutely intoxicating to drive. It would take a team of surgeons to remove the smile from my face.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
That’s so badass looking. Thank god it doesn’t have those stupid yellow ground effects I’ve been seeing all over here lately.

Those tires look ‘spensive and soft. Could probably burn thru the back ones in a week.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
The yellow bars are plastic protectors for the front splitter. They are installed at the factory for transport, but they're supposed to be removed by the dealer upon arrival. Some people really like them, and a black-market for these throw-away pieces has developed to the point that people pay big money for them.

In my case, since the car was gently used, they were long gone, and I wouldn't have wanted them anyway. Aside from looking unusual, I hear they trap dirt and scratch up the splitter over time, as they weren't meant to be permanently installed.

The tires... we'll see. I hope to not have to replace them for a while anyway. As much as I love high-hp muscle-y cars, I'm a pretty conservative driver. I like to clean the dust out on occasion, but for the most part I baby my cars. There's a reason my '01 SS is still fully functional when 95% of it's brethren are no longer road worthy. Still, the camaro uses 275/40's also, and at Costco I can get BFG 45k tires for $600 per set. These new ones are 20's instead of 17's, but I'm hoping they don't completely break the bank.

I called about insuring this beast, and I was stunned to learn the Challenger is only going to cost about $10 every six months more than the wife's Grand Cherokee. I assumed I'd get bent over and have to smile about it, so that was a pleasant surprise.

1555780704137.png

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Pirellis are wonderfully handling tires, but yeah, a jack ass who wants to smoke his tires at every light is going to be sorely disappointed in the life span. It’s kinda funny to see them on American muscle since they are made for European cornering and muscle cars are made to go straight really fast. Maybe they’ll make your front stick as your ass is coming around the corner to give you a kiss.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
The awesomeness of the Challenger makes me so disappointed that they familied up the Charger.
Agreed. The idea of a four-door charger still rubs me the wrong way. However, given how poorly most cars sell these days compared to SUVs and trucks, especially 2-door cars, I can see why Dodge didn't see the need to make two coupes on the same platform that would effectively be competing directly against each other. I just wish they'd called it something else. That thing will never be a Charger in my mind.

That being said, I ha-t-e-d the look of the chargers when they were reintroduced 15 years ago. They looked like a bathtub with a Ram truck grille on the front. These days, the chargers look about as badass as a sedan can look. Dodge has done a great job on that front, even if it's named poorly. If they offered current models with a manual gearbox, I'd have been tempted from a practicality standpoint. But if I can't row my own gears, I'm not interested.

When you filter the list of possible vehicles to buy, simply checking the V8 and Manual boxes narrows the list from hundreds to a half dozen in a hurry. Take out the six-figure cars, and you're left with Challenger, Camaro, and Mustang, two of which have faux back seats for insurance purposes, as they will only fit dogs and groceries. So it makes choosing a car much simpler. Wading through the 37 trims of challenger was far more work. I found some I didn't know existed.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I refuse to live life without a 5-speed, yet I ride a scooter over a motorcycle because I have no desire to shift 20x’s between every light in suburbia while dodging texters in cages oblivious to my existence. I’ll switch to a motorcycle once the electric ones are under $10k.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I hear that a lot, the no desire to shift frequently. The dealer in Atlanta said he couldn't sell the car because it's a stick, presumably due to the terrible constant gridlock in ATL. He said if it had been an automatic, he could have sold it a dozen times already.

Maybe I'm weird, but I've driven nothing but a stick for nearly 30 years. Shifting is completely without thought. My arms and legs move independently from any conscious part of my brain. I don't find it to be a chore, as the only time it enters my mind is when I think about how much fun it is... or when I'm intentionally getting after it. I drove a stick in Houston traffic for years, and I don't recall ever wishing I didn't have it.

Plus, I feel like I'm part of the car, not just a steering monkey. And you can't get distracted, as texting with one hand just doesn't work too well. You're forced to be an active participant in the driving. That level of control and awareness is what makes driving fun. I just naturally assume that people who hate driving only do so in a beigemobile to a job they hate. If you don't like the destination or conveyance, I can see how they want to put as little thought and effort into driving as possible.... More fun cars for me!

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Exactly why I refuse to drive an automatic car. The connection to the machine is what makes driving worth it. I find it funny that I am completely the opposite on 2 wheels since you have so much more information to process to avoid dying, so I prefer the twist and go like driving a waverunner on the road.

Now if I had to commute in rush hour traffic downtown every day, then I would get an auto for daily commute since the rare times I am heading that direction in evening traffic I feel like I'm riding the clutch the entire time.

I'm giving my 5spd to my daughter in a couple years because I never want her trapped somewhere without being unable to drive any car on the road and I feel if one hand is on the wheel and the other on the stick, then there is no hands left to hold a phone.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
While not a demon or a hellcat, 2+ months in, I'm still completely in love with my challenger. It makes me sad to drive anything else. It's SOOOOO much fun. Fuel mileage be damned.

Actually, I drove to Atlanta and back on friday, and I averaged over 24mpg for the round-trip. Not bad for a 485hp V8... But it sounds so sweet when you stand on it. The exhaust note is addictive like a drug.