Slaymaker's random desert brick building

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa
I just got this assembled...still need to add details.

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa
Whoa...

Fire that brick mason quickly. He can't seem to build a straight wall on that left side! :D

I know, right! Now time to beat it up and make it look more worn and used...maybe dig a hole through the top level for a sniper hide on the top...gotta build ladders inside to get from level to level.

I got those "bricks" on clearance at Walmart for $3.00 and decided to do something with them.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Completely accurate to what passes for "architecture" in Hadjisland.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Completely accurate to what passes for "architecture" in Hadjisland.

That's what I was going to say, too.

You've gotta fix those wrists on Stalker, though. Take some fodder like a Star Wars or Mutt Williams or something and cutt off either a pants cuff or sleeve cuff and cap off the arm so you don't have the odd gap.

Dirty up that building! :) Did you glue them together?

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa
That's what I was going to say, too.

You've gotta fix those wrists on Stalker, though. Take some fodder like a Star Wars or Mutt Williams or something and cutt off either a pants cuff or sleeve cuff and cap off the arm so you don't have the odd gap.

Dirty up that building! :) Did you glue them together?

just got done putting it together today...so more to come...yep had a bottle of wood glue in the garage so that is what I used. I suck at washes so hoping I don't make this look horrible once I try to dirty it up...

Not sure I follow you on fixing his wrists...I see what is wrong...but what do you mean exactly? put a cuff on the end of the forearm?

I think I get it ... working on it now

Last edited:

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Not sure I follow you on fixing his wrists...I see what is wrong...but what do you mean exactly? put a cuff on the end of the forearm?

Yeah, just take like a pants leg bottom on a throwaway figure, Dremel out the inside to the right diameter to match the wrist, then cut off the cuff and put it on the end of the arm. I had to do this recently and it fixed the same problem you have.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Pretty cool...it'd be cool if them little bricks had some kinda connect feature like Legos so you could constantly create new buildings easily and sturdily...

Stalker looks great in khaki BTW

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Yeah, just take like a pants leg bottom on a throwaway figure, Dremel out the inside to the right diameter to match the wrist, then cut off the cuff and put it on the end of the arm. I had to do this recently and it fixed the same problem you have.

I do this same thing on the short sleeve part so there's a cuff there too...

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
just got done putting it together today...so more to come...yep had a bottle of wood glue in the garage so that is what I used. I suck at washes so hoping I don't make this look horrible once I try to dirty it up...

I dunno how well the cuff idea is gonna work (it doesn't in my mind, anyhow), but I'd definitely cut a couple of millimeters of the end of the peg.

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa
I think I got it fixed. will put pics up later...cuff is brown now...may leave it...not sure yet.

Tapper

suck it up cupcake!!!!
May 19, 2012
Instead of using glue you can also use toothpicks on the bricks.

snakeling

not an actual member
Mar 15, 2011
I have some of these bricks.... did a building but it got wrecked. I like how you framed the door and windows. I should try again. I look forward to seeing some more.

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
Just a suggestion for ease of building with the foam bricks, from my experience -

Try "Fabri-Tac". It's super tacky for an almost instant hold, and it dries 99.9% clear. The only downside I've found is that it tends to leave little "spider webs" if you're not careful when applying. You just need to wipe the nozzel as your last action when laying a bead on your material.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I dunno how well the cuff idea is gonna work (it doesn't in my mind, anyhow), but I'd definitely cut a couple of millimeters of the end of the peg.

It's gotta be a close proximity size, or you'll have comically oversized gloves. And you'll need to drill out the inside of the cuff, but it worked well for me. I'd post pics, but I don't wanna hijack the thread further or get it more off-topic.

I'll have to look into that Fabri-Tac stuff, Obi.

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa
I think what I did is what MR was getting at. I found a pair of brown handless arms from a fodder bag someone sent me...the wrist holes were about the same as joes and the ends were hollowed out like the sleeves went over the hands...I sliced off about 1/8" boiled some water and dropped the pieces and Stalker arms in. Popped the hands slid on the new "cuffs" on and popped them back on...I will post pics later. :D

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa
OK - I took these arms and cut off the last 1/8" (this is an after pic...the parts are already cut off)

And here are the updated pics.

WVMojo

Mocha Viper
Jul 20, 2011
That thing looks tasty...makes me want to eat a salad with lots and lots of croutons.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011

That sounds like an easier option. I use a lot of RoC RIA gloves and cut off the wrists.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
Anyone know a good mortar substitute for these bricks? They look decent but the rounded edges with gaps is a little distracting. Besides, the mortar material will strengthen it up.

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa
Anyone know a good mortar substitute for these bricks? They look decent but the rounded edges with gaps is a little distracting. Besides, the mortar material will strengthen it up.

Wood glue made it plenty strong...i used 2 5 pound plates on to hold the floors/ceilings while they dried.

I know it is not a perfect brick building with cracks and not straight walls...I was going for a run down 3rd world country in the middle of the desert look. I was thinking perhaps what I would do next "may" fill those voids...mortar if you will...but do not want to fill the pores of the styrofoam as well...

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa
That sounds like an easier option. I use a lot of RoC RIA gloves and cut off the wrists.

the arms I used were already hollow to recieve the ball of the wrist joint so all I did was cut and attach...which is simpler to me. :thumbsup:

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
Just a thought... but what about "almond colored caulk"? After building, maybe spread the caulk over all the joints. Haven't tried it, but it sounds good in theory.

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa
Just a thought... but what about "almond colored caulk"? After building, maybe spread the caulk over all the joints. Haven't tried it, but it sounds good in theory.

Yea, I was thinking of something like that...perhaps using some small syringes from work to inject into the area....so i don't basically spackle the entire wall.

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
Nah...

If you only cut the nozzel a little bit, you should be able to lay down a precise thin bead. Worth a try either way.

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Nice job. It's tough when you can't use mortar to make up for inconsistancy in block hieghts. Take it from a guy who does it for a living.

Maybe a plaster finish over it with exposed sections will help it out

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa
Nice job. It's tough when you can't use mortar to make up for inconsistancy in block hieghts. Take it from a guy who does it for a living.

Maybe a plaster finish over it with exposed sections will help it out

I thought about that actually...a small can of spackling compound and a thin coat over most everything...then I would have to paint...I was thinking the sand color was a good color...

Not sure where I am going to go next with this...right now it was a $3.00 and some wood glue experiment. :D I was thinking of a poorly built building in the Middle East when I built it.

Perhaps one could use the caulk Obi suggested as mortar/adhesive as they built to get the look all are talking about...

Tria

Enlisted
Sep 20, 2012
OK - I took these arms and cut off the last 1/8" (this is an after pic...the parts are already cut off)

And here are the updated pics.

hey that was my humvee!! :D

Now I see why did you want the humvee and the ourwar figs...