Small & Furious: Mega Hot Wheels Showdown

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Two and a half years later, the movie, finally she is done. I need a nap.

I was just going to post this in the cool video thread, but I thought, no dammit, I spent too many hours working on it to bury it there. It deserves it's own thread!

When we started, we didn't know jack squat about making a movie, but we learned A LOT along the way. Hopefully I have not embarrassed myself. Special thanks to Eddie for pushing us to use the COVID downtime to finish the remaining 85% of the film :ROFLMAO:. It's nearly 14 minutes of pure kid-like joy.

Place your bets, hang on, and enjoy the ride!

• Love
Reactions: NSA

zodiacflash

Have Gun Will Travel
May 28, 2013
Houston
Awesome! All the movie, TV, and music references... Great stuff! That bonk noise Elanor made hitting the bottom of the pool had me laughing every time!

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Got to watch it using the other link. No idea what’s wrong with the one here. That was a lot of fun! I absolutely loved the vehicle POV stuff! I hope it was half as fun as it looked like to make! Caught the F118 easter egg at the end too! Just how many feet of track do you have? 😝

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Thanks! It really was a ton of fun to make. The POV shots were, in fact, the most fun, and arguable the easiest shots to get (the "timing" shots were the hardest). The biggest trouble with the POV stuff was the camera car being top-heavy and wide, so it struggled with corners and most other track features. Still, I think we navigated that challenge pretty well.

On the long shot down my parents' driveway, we used approx 300ft of track. We wanted to go all the way to the bottom, but doing so likely would have required double that amount of track, so we took a detour into a flower bed.

Which easter egg did you catch? There are two... :sneaky:
----------
Anyone else having trouble with the link in the first post? It's just an embedded youtube link like any other. It shows up just fine for me. I dunno. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I saw the coin. I was watching on the (other) forum window so it was a little on the small side on my iPad.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Glad you enjoyed it! I'm pretty sure I had as much fun as the boy did making it. Lot of work, probably hundreds of man-hours, but there is a lot of satisfaction in that 13.5 minutes of goofiness.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
How did I know 88 was going to win before it even started!!
You didn't know! Hell, WE didn't know. Somewhere midway through filming we starting planning the ending and started working backwards so that the plot points would play out and that the order in each scene made sense. We really couldn't decide who should win, and that's when we came up with the Clue-style triple ending. I think most people that know me would assume the General Lee was going to win. I was a massive DoH superfan as a kid. But I'm also a Batman guy... It was ultimately Alex's decision in the end.

I had the most fun with the Truckster ;)

The other nod to this place was also in the credits, but it was probably too out-of-focus to see. The second shot of the credits, the dog tags are F118th officer swag.

Junior!!!! :fuckit:
Hell yeah! I tweeted him (and John Schneider) a link, but the odds he ever sees it are likely very slim. Oh well.

I love his interview at the end the most. We lifted that from some e-racing event over a decade ago when he was one of the few actual drivers who dabbled in virtual racing sims at the time. He trounced the other nascar guys, hence the cocky interview.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I was too. Dale Sr was the man. I was at Daytona in Feb '01. It was brutal. But I was also at Daytona in July '01 when JR won the return trip. I was also at Texas when JR got his first win. Even for non-fans of nascar, listen to the guy for two minutes, and he's hard not to like.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Very true! I think that Daytona race was probably the last race I watched from start to finish though. I still remember that the crash didn't look that bad when it happened and the shock when they announced later the result of it. The sport wasn't the same without The Intimidator always riding up somebody's tailpipe until they got out of the way. A true icon, that one.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I just remember seeing the crash and thinking:

"Damn, that's a lousy way to start the season, down in the points already."
five minutes passes
"Damn, he might have taken a tougher lick than I thought. He might not be 100% next week."
five minutes passes
"Damn, if he's that hurt, he'll end up with a sub driver, and that's going to put a big dent in his shot at a championship."
five minutes passes...

and so on. We made our way back to the RV campground and turned on the tv to see what was going on. I remember finally getting the news, and the whole campground came outside and was just milling around in a daze like something in a zombie movie. Everyone was in shock. It was the most surreal thing I was ever a part of.

But JR took that blow and became his own man, far different than his dad, but a good racer and a great dude in the process.