Solo: A Star Wars Story

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Spoiler makes sense now that I recall the timeline and that Rebels is canon. Spoiler appearance in the Kenobi movie, maybe? So NSA liked it, but I've also seen the complete opposite reaction around the webs. Sounds like a love-or-hate proposition, with little middle ground.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I am not sure what there is really to dislike. It's fun.. It doesn't try to be anything more than that. No real message or SJW bullshit or anything. Women in power positions are treated just as if they were men. The whole "Lando is gay/wants Han" subplot I read about online is nowhere to be found.

Everything more or less falls into place and you know the how's and why's other than the few things meant to surprise you. No wild wacky u turns for the sake of u turns like TLJ.

About as much force use as Rogue One. It's not a Jedi movie, which I really appreciate. Keeps it grounded.

Khalissi acts.. Fine. Nothing amazing but she doesn't ruin it either. Lando was perfect. Chewie was good. Han was passable, by the end you're not even really thinking about it.

LOTS of small easter egg type references that gave me huge grins as a Star Wars fan.

I keep coming back to Rogue One. It reminds me of Rogue One, but more fun.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Well, [SOLO] didn't do so hot at the box office.. 100M over the 4-day weekend doesn't sound bad to me, but I guess when you have huge predictions it ends up that way?

I still think it will have better legs with a decent word of mouth.

I feel like they had 4 mistakes here, that led to a sub-par performance:

#1. Following the 'terrible' Last Jedi. I think whatever Star Wars movie followed TLJ would have come in under expectations, at least for a launch weekend. TLJ was just too controversial to ignore. TLJ had a $220 million opening weekend, which ended up being about 35% of its total revenue (in the US). TFA had a $248 million opening weekend, which ended up only 26% of its $947 million haul. TFA had incredible legs, people seeing it multiple times/etc/etc. You take TFA enthusiasm and put another #'d Star Wars out there and you're going to have an incredible opening weekend. Everyone was excited to (finally) see Luke Skywalker on the screen again.. so TLJ had a fantastic opening weekend... and then died (relatively). For reference, Rogue One had a 29% opening day haul. So if you have a terrible movie (TLJ) last, the next one is going to have the opposite TFA result.. people are staying away at launch with a bad SW taste in their mouth. Now if the movie is actually really good (which I think it is), then it should have longer legs and make up some of they money down the road. I know I'd be happy to see it 2 or 3 times, whereas I absolutely didn't want to see TLJ again.

#2. Following Infinity War + Deadpool 2. These are basically pandering to mostly the same audiences, and Deadpool 2 came out 1 week before, and Infinity War is still putting butts in seats. I happened to see all 3, 3 weeks in a row, which is unheard of for me.. but most people might only see 1 movie every couple months. Putting SOLO as the last one means people are more apt to wait a bit before going to see it. Also, combined with the above reason, people now have a reason AND incentive to see something other than SOLO over the weekend.

#3. Poor marketing / bad release date. This is kind of two things, but basically is tied together. People have come to think of Star Wars movies as "Christmas" movies (even though they started the Summer Blockbuster thing). By releasing SOLO in May.. you're confusing people who just have come to expect a SW movie during the holidays. The marketing was also SUPER light for SOLO and didn't really start until the Super Bowl (3 months ago?). We got previous SW marketing for at least 6-months to a year to build up hype. I thought the trailer was really good, and it actually got me excited for the movie.. but I could see people not seeing it or getting caught up in the hype.

#4. Behind the scenes nonsense. Changing directors. He's not Han. Dramarama. Instead of marketing, we got stories about how rocky the production was, directors fired, Solo actor needs a coach, etc etc. It's like negative marketing, for months. No clue how much it hurt them, but it couldn't have been helpful. Combine it with "the internet hates everything" and everyone was expecting SOLO to be the worst thing since 1-ply toilet paper.

I think SOLO is great, a 1000x better than TLJ and I really hope Lucasfilm/Disney don't take the wrong lessons from this. In my opinion it's mostly TLJ fault, and the hangover was bound to hit. SOLO hopefully will start the trend upwards again, and get people actually excited for EP IX.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I'll most definitely be seeing it... eventually... Been so busy lately that I can't seem to make it out except for the hugest of the huge movies. Still trying to get a glimpse of Black Panther. At this point, I might see it on a plane before I see it otherwise...

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
If you read that article.. they don't like how they did it in SOLO (which was fine, very well done I think). They WANT MORE PC nonsense in Star Wars.. which normal people don't. I wish people would see something for themselves before commenting thinking they know whats what, but that's the internet I guess.

Sarcastic and ill-tempered Droids are nothing new to Star Wars.. I don't know why that article seems to think every Droid needs to be C3PO or R2-D2. Some are designed to do different things, and some are programmed to be more human-like or have opinions or.. whatever. We see in the original Star Wars that the droids have a restraining bolt in place which forces them to behave.. why would you need that if they never misbehaved?

I really really don't get the internet hate boner for Kennedy. She's been involved in a ton of my favorite films of all time (Raiders of the Lost Ark, Poltergeist, Gremlins, Temple of Doom, Back to the Future, Goonies, An American Tail (Fievel!), Roger Rabbit, BTTF II, Last Crusade, Arachnophobia, BTTF III, Joe vs Volcano, Jurassic Park, and all the SW movie so far, including my favorites Rogue One & Solo. If anything, she should get some flak for letting Rian Johnson do whatever he wanted, as TLJ was not good, but that doesn't suddenly make it part of some sort of weird conspiracy to 'ruin' Star Wars. It was a director who was left alone to his own devices and made a bad movie.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
As for the box-office, see my above 4-point response. It's really far too crowded a time to be releasing your movie unless its a guaranteed champ (or something totally different, like a chick flick). They should have stuck to Christmas releases and really hyped up the movie.. but oh well. I do still think there is a significant TLJ hangover happening.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
As for the box-office, see my above 4-point response. It's really far too crowded a time to be releasing your movie unless its a guaranteed champ (or something totally different, like a chick flick). They should have stuck to Christmas releases and really hyped up the movie.. but oh well. I do still think there is a significant TLJ hangover happening.
Huh? What was it really up against? A second-week-in-release Deadpool 2 ? Avengers: Infinity War, which has been in theaters for a MONTH? Disregarding anything else, it wasn't the release window, it was that the modern SW films have been crap-to-middling, and at the end of the day that's largely on Kathleen Kennedy. "Oh, oh, Star Wars fatigue!" Bullshit, the MCU has been dropping a couple of movies a year since 2011, and outside the Hulk, they've all done gang-busters. A Star Wars flop shouldn't even possible, and yet here we are.

I'm not gonna get into theories about the social agendas.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Like I said in my points above, the crowded release slate isn't the only issue, but it is part of the issue. On opening weekend, Deadpool 2 + Avengers siphoned off $75 million dollars. (all other movies that weekend accounted for $49 million total). The fact that the target audience for SOLO is basically the same audience that goes to Deadpool + Avengers is definitely an issue.

When TLJ debuted.. what was it going against? The next 4 movies.. Ferdinand, Coco, Wonder, Justice League. Their total gross that weekend? $32.8 million. TLJ captured a whopping 79% of the ticket sales that weekend, likely due to the huge expectations for the movie.. but the fact that it had no real competition can't be overlooked.

If you want to compare it to the MCU, their Phase 1 was Iron Man (good), Incredible Hulk (not good), Iron Man 2 (not good), Thor (just okay), Captain America: The First Avenger (kinda so-so), and then the Avengers, which was good. It took them a good 4 years to figure things out, and even then Iron Man 3 and Thor 2: The Dark World were not very good. By now, they're just printing money with them.. but you have people invested in these characters and they do stand alone spin off movies to introduce new characters, and then fold them into the rest. The MCU's 4th movie was Thor, which made $181 million, and SOLO should beat that.

I also strongly feel there is a Last Jedi hangover effect going on, that combined with other options at the theater make it easy for people to skip the movie. They also know it'll be on home video within a couple months.

It'll be interesting how episode IX does, in the normal December time-slot.. but with almost all the OT cast essentially dead. I don't think Carrie Fisher shot anything for IX, so will she even be in the trailers? Showing Ghost Luke in the trailer seems like a waste of a good reveal. JJ Abrams will have his work cut out for him for sure.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
It'll be interesting to see if the nerd rage is strong enough in 6 months to stick to the boycott. If they do skip IX, I wonder if KK will be booted and someone from Marvel is shifted over to reboot SW. The only reason I think the nerd rage is the #1 antagonist of TLJ and Solo is the abysmal toy sales since it's the same group that buys them. Even Hasbro is using "fatigue" to explain away the poor sales.

I'm going to see Solo tonight (FINALLY!), but me skipping the first 2 weekends was due to moving, not a boycott.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
It's like.. 18 months away? December 2019 for IX. So that's a lot of time to right the ship. Also makes no sense why they rushed SOLO out now, 5 months after TLJ. Until they make Star Wars like the MCU they can't be dropping the movies on top of each other and hope for them to succeed. SW was always about being 'event films', which is why the SOLO performance is being looked down on. If they were going the full MCU route they'd have 2 more SW films in the pipe before IX even comes out. I suppose maybe we could get a Kenobi or Fett movie rushed for next year, but I don't think it'll happen.

TLJ just wasn't a fun movie.. it wasn't a movie that made you want to go watch it 3 or 4 times. You walked out feeling "eh". I saw the Force Awakens 4 times in the theater, and I don't think it was an amazing movie, but it was fun. I saw Rogue One twice, and I'll see SOLO another time or two I think. To get into the billion $$$ realm, you need a movie where people are seeing it multiple times, with multiple groups of friends. TLJ had that with the opening weekend, but then it nosedived as word of mouth started getting around.

I think IX will be fine, it's a mainline SW story and people want to see how this trilogy ends. JJ also makes fantastic trailers, so he'll get butts in seats. After that? I dunno. Couple 'Star wars Stories' and then..? Rian Johnsons non-Skywalker trilogy? Will anyone care? Are they going to do a X, XI, XII?

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
I also strongly feel there is a Last Jedi hangover effect going on...
It's definitely this. But you have to ask yourself, what about TLJ turned people off so much that they bailed on a movie in a property that they once held VERY dearly. So dearly that no amount of other movies on the preceding weekends or even the same weekend would've stopped them from lining up around theaters? Disney can blame it on "too many competing" movies if they want to, but the box office pulls of those other films before and after Solo are doing just fine. There seems to be only one film that isn't living up to expectations. Again, why?

Maybe it's an amazing film, but people making them have cheesed people off bad, and they have spoken...literally.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Like I said, I think people walked out of TLJ not feeling happy.. or enthused. I know I didn't. There were some cool set pieces (hyperspace suicide, Kylo/Ray/Guard fight, the showdown, etc) but overall when you leave the theater you're not thinking "WOW I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE WHATS NEXT!" like I used to feel. At the end of TFA you see Rey & Luke and.. damn it I want to see what's next! At the end of Rogue One you see Leia escape with the plans.. I want to see what's next! At the end of SOLO you see.. well, you see something that I want to see whats next! At the end of TLJ you see.. some kid playing with a force broom.. ehhhhhhhhhh.

I mean even going back, at the end of Empire you have Luke & Leia looking out over the stars, knowing they need to find a way to get Han back.. I want to see what happens next! A New Hope and Return of the Jedi have more definitive endings.. but that makes sense as neither of them were planning on having sequels.

The SJW and Rose and all that was annoying at times, but ultimately the film just wasn't fun or enjoyable to a lot of people, so it killed their fan boner. It's going to take some concerted stroking to get that boner back. SOLO is a really good start, and I anticipate a lot of people will see it on home video or something and come to enjoy it more over time. It's like the salt after the shot of tequila. It doesn't make the bad taste disappear, but it helps, and the next thing you eat will taste normal again.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Another thing SOLO does way better than TLJ or TFA is worldbuilding. The Sequel trilogy has been horrible.. no explanations for anything, no cool new places or aliens. SOLO shows you the galaxy (far far away) and makes it feel believable again. TLJ made it seem like there were 5 ships in the whole universe and 1 planet of rich people.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
The next Star Wars celebration is in April 2019 in Chicago. They'll have a big trailer reveal for IX and it'll be JJ awesomeness and people will hop right back on board. I think they'll slowly right the ship.. the new Star Wars Resistance TV show starts this fall. WWII-type fighter pilot show that takes place before The Force Awakens and will give backstory on the First Order/New Republic/etc. Just the kind of stuff to shut up nerdrage.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
TLJ pissed people off but it doesn't leave you wanting for what's next.

I don't think it was a true boycott as some suggested but a reasonable wait till week two to see it if it is good. Mixed reviews combined with the dark picture in theaters story spelled the death of this film. Even if I wanted to see it, half of the theaters aren't playing the movie correctly so why bother paying for a crap movie experience

Truth of the matter is Star Wars isn't the guaranteed money maker Hollywood thinks it is & people are getting tired of shoveling shit & being told it's Steak

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Holy crap Solo was good. Like really good. Pretty sure I like it more than Rogue One. L2 is annoying at times, but honestly the only SJW’ish distraction and even that would not be noticeable if it hadn’t been for TLJ. It just goes to show good Star Wars movies are possible when they stick to the proven formula and are not casting parts by equal opportunity quotas.

Was that Willow?!?

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
So I had to pee twice this time.. Last time I pee'd during L3's first little rant.. So I can see her being a little SJW.. But by the time they get to Kessel it's all forgotten and she's funny and it makes sense. Love that she's part of the Falcon.

Everything else was great. Beckett was fantastic.

The movie was just pure star wars fun. I love Rogue One.. But this is R1 without the sadness. Just Saturday morning cartoon awesome.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
L is only SJW annoying upon her introduction, but they do it with humor which makes it tolerable. I’m surprised no groups have screamed about racism for them creating Aunt Jamima bot.

Is it me or did they dub Harrison Ford in there 2 or 3 times? Always on a pan away from Han for one of his catch phrases like “good luck kid”. The kid did a surprisingly good job to the point you forget it’s not Ford by the time they reach the train and give you something else to focus on. Definitely buying this on on 4K.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
And yes that was Willow.. and he was playing the same "grown up" character that he played in the Phantom Menace (Weazel). Kinda fun bit of continuity.

2nd viewing was great, looked around a bit more.. loved some of the background stuff on Corellia as they're assembling the Star Destroyer.

There were a couple times where it sounded like Harrison and Billy Dee, but like you said it was usually during cutaways. I kind of wonder if they just did it better during dubbing but it looked funny it you saw it coming out of their mouth? I don't know that they used any old audio, but I suppose it's possible. The Han actor was fantastic, wayyyy better than I thought he would be, and yeah, you just kind of stop thinking about it a little ways in. I think by starting the movie with him 'even younger' it allows for him to 'grow' into more of the Han Solo we know. I felt like by the end he was almost there, which makes sense, story wise.

The music was great. I think it was even better than Williams with The Last Jedi.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I liked the fact that it was a straight story. Beginning, middle, end. No side plots, no glut of characters. Everyone you care about gets good screen time and keeps the story moving. I've seen people say the first half of the movie was slow.. but seeing it again I just don't see it.

The Corellia section was fast paced and led right into the mud planet which led right into the ice planet/train heist.. which then took off into hyperspace mode really.

I keep going back to saying the movie is just fun. It's not anything mind altering or earth shattering or award winning.. but it's fun, really really fun.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
The "fans" can't blame George anymore so KK is the next in line, who will now receive the hate formally given to George because a project like this could somehow never be a collaborative endeavor with more than one person to blame.

Reguardless of what you think of the films at least 2 of them had significant reshoots. So these films are not as cheap to make as they should be. Merchandising has been horrible. We can blame Hasbro for a lot of things but in the end they get as screwed over as we do because no one knew enough to say Zuvio wasn't a main character.

While I am on a Star Wars rant I would like to say congrats to Kelly Tran for not putting up with the sw crazies & deleting her Twitter account. No one should have to go through that shit & for the record while the last Jedi had its issues she was NOT one of them. Every character was under developed & an actor can only do so much with a script that wasn't ready to begin with.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
The "fans" can't blame George anymore so KK is the next in line, who will now receive the hate formally given to George because a project like this could somehow never be a collaborative endeavor with more than one person to blame.

Reguardless of what you think of the films at least 2 of them had significant reshoots. So these films are not as cheap to make as they should be. Merchandising has been horrible. We can blame Hasbro for a lot of things but in the end they get as screwed over as we do because no one knew enough to say Zuvio wasn't a main character.

While I am on a Star Wars rant I would like to say congrats to Kelly Tran for not putting up with the sw crazies & deleting her Twitter account. No one should have to go through that shit & for the record while the last Jedi had its issues she was NOT one of them. Every character was under developed & an actor can only do so much with a script that wasn't ready to begin with.

No actor was the issue with TLJ, it was the shit story wrapped in forced political views. Solo had politics just like all the original SW and it was great because they weren’t tha damn focus. The story was enhanced by them, not hindered like the Rey trilogy. KK gave the thumbs up to let Rian run wild and Solo suffered tremendously at the box office due to the backlash and therefore it is her burden to carry. Politics should be on the side like the MCU, not the driving agenda as with TLJ. People keep trying to tell those of us that disliked TLJ that it’s because a female was the lead and yet I’ve never met or read one complaint about Rey. It’s the purposeful strip down of Poe and the glory stealing from Finn wrapped in a nonsense plot hole filled space chase story that was the issue.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
The whole Tran thing.. Well people are terrible on the internet.. It sucks. Her character was not good, but especially after reading the novelization.. The character was just written poorly with a bad character arc. Don't know what else she could have done with it.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Sad thing is Rose could easily have been a meaningful character had she been given something useful to do. They wrote her character to be a lost puppy tagging along for the ride with 2 pointless tasks. The first was saving the alien horses which only my 12yr old daughter thought was cool and the second was cock blocking Finn from being a hero which just pissed everyone off (since we have to sit thru ep IX watching Finn’s bad character as a result). I just hope JJ can recover ep IX from this mess and make us care about the 3 good characters from the new trilogy (Rey, Poe & Kyle) again. They should have made Rey black if they wanted diversity since her character’s attitude and backstory is perfectly suited to making a political statement without it being in your face. It’s not the audience’s fault that Rian turned the minorities into throw away characters.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
That is interesting and something I don't see brought up much from "the other side". I guess his Holdo move appeased them enough that they overlook the fact that Rian ruined the Black and Asian characters?

In the book Rose is a bit more.. bitchier? She's constantly asking Finn why he cares so much about stupid Rey. Her arc basically goes from "Oh wow that's Finn! Finn sucks he's a deserter! Oh maybe he's not so bad. I LOVE HIM!" Which is just as dumb as it sounds.

Finn has a little more character growth in the book, but it's still bad. It's basically supposed to be him starting as "I don't care about anything!" to them making a big point that he says "we" (when talking about the resistance) and Rose and Poe shed a little tear that he's now one of them.. it's also just as dumb as it sounds. It's like they wanted to re-do Han's character arc in ANH but as hamfisted as possible. Then they cut half of it from the movie.. so it's all just very confusing and bad. It's weird because in the movie the big point with Finn was he was going to sacrifice himself (which gets ruined by Rose) but I think they were trying to make the point about him being on their side was the big revelation.. but it didn't work out that way on film.

All that being said, I was so happy that none of that followed over into SOLO. And, really, TFA didn't have anything egregious like that. Finn was black, but it was no big deal. Rey's a woman but it's not big deal.