Solo: A Star Wars Story

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Went with a couple other friends to see [SOLO] again.. they hadn't seen it.. my 3rd time.

Still fun, still good, still entertaining. The friends liked it as well, some were confused with
Maul
, but overall it was well received.

Can't wait to own it when it comes out. Will definitely be in the regular rotation.

Last edited:

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Maul???

[SPOILER ALERT]???

Just kidding... somebody else spoiled it for me already. Can't speak for the other 10 people on here who didn't see it yet though... :troll:

Last edited by a moderator:

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
SOLO isn't coming out until 9/25! September! Curses!

Avengers is coming out in a week for digital.. guess they wanted to give more time between releases?

Either way, I was a bitch and preordered the steelbook from Best Buy.. fuck I loved this movie.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I got the SOLO "Extended Novelization" and started it last night. Only made it to the point where they're headed to the spaceport (3 or so chapters). So far it's good, it has a little prologue on the deal-gone-bad that happens right before the movie starts, and due to the nature of books, it gives a lot more detail into Proxima and her henchmen.

Looking forward to reading the rest as I get time.. it seems like once I get into a book I stay up super late and finish it in a day or two.

I did read that even the author didn't know who the person at the end was, so it's written very vaguely, so looking forward to that.

Movie comes to digital next week.. but I'm going to try and be strong and wait for my 4K disk.. hate that they delay it like this.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
So I got the book at launch and blasted through it in 12 parsecs.. ha ha I mean 2 days..

It was good! It is "expanded" like The Last Jedi novelization, so it adds in some more background details and "what the character is thinking" since you can't do that easily in a movie.

Biggest parts were.. (spoilers ahead)

What happened before the movie starts, the deal that 'went bad' and some more establishing info on what Corellia is like.

It went into what happened to Qi'ra between getting left on Corellia and showing up again. What the Crimson Dawn did to her to whip her into shape.

More background on the SJW droid.. wasn't really all bad, and you get a little bit more character out of it.

Han Solo at the Imperial Academy and what he did to get busted down to infantry.

At the end there is a prologue segment.. where Enfys Nest is taking the coaxium.. turns out she's handing it over to one Saw Gerrera.. and while they're taking, a young Jyn Erso comes down the ramp and talks for a moment with Enfys Nest. It's a very small segment, but it was cool, considering the tie to Rogue One and Rebels.

Lots of other small things that just flesh out the basic idea a little more.. but I enjoyed it!

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
They could've just used Anthony Ingruber and accomplished the same thing. *Grumbles* Stupid Hollywood jewish nepotism robbing us of better suited actors. 😡

EDIT: Ha! It even made the emoticon extra tiny!

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
I saw it & I liked it. Some stuff toward the end they crammed in there, when it could have been its own movie. But maybe giving the production hell, they knew they weren't getting a sequel.

Would have liked to see more of the first group, I was hoping Val would be a new take on a Marvel Comics character (Han's wife/not wife) Glad they kept the imperial years in with his origin

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I'll say it till the end of time, but I really feel like SOLO is the perfect movie for people who grew up with the OT and wanted a proper movie in that vein.

TLJ poised the fan well so much, the very people who would have enjoyed the movie the most were the ones who stayed away in protest/boycott/disinterest. It really should have come out in December like all the other ones, giving fans more time to breathe after TLJ.

I watched some of the special features the other night (There are like an hour and a half of them!) and they were all involving Ron Howard.. they cut all the stuff from the other guys.. I really want to know what happened.. and where the movie was when they left.

I really really hope they somehow find a way to make more adventures in that time frame. The "all powerful" Empire, at the height of their reign is the best Star Wars time.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
You guys high praise finally got me to cave and watch this. I wish I could say that I liked it as much you guys seem to, but I just didn't. I just did not like the actor playing Han. I tried, I really did, but he was NOT Han. Ford was Han, and this guy wasn't even close. He didn't even try. And I'd admit that my dislike was because I was biased and had a preferred actor in mind, but that really wasn't it. I mean, it certainly didn't help that I knew factually that there was a FAR superior actor out there that may as well've been a time traveled young Ford. But I didn't like Donald Glover as Lando, and he actually did a really good job. He did an amazing job as Billy D from his very first line. The guy playing Han? He was ass. Dirty, dingle-berry laden ass.

I liked all of the other characters, even the "muh slavery!" fembot. Sure, that narrative is tired, but her sass was funny. It's unfortunate that the four armed dude bit it so early. I liked him AND he looked cool.

The production value was pretty decent. The environments looked very SW-y. It reminded me of Blade Runner 2049 that I love so much. Though maybe it was watching it on Netflix, but during the vast majority of the movie, it looked like I was watching it through dirty, smudgy glasses that desperately needed cleaning. I get trying to make it look like classic dirty SW, but whatever they did didn't portray that right. Rogue One nailed it. It was crisp, clean and vibrant cinematography, but the environments looked dirty and worn. With Solo the environments looked dirty and worn, but so too did the cinematography.

And I don't know what they could've done story wise to make it happen, but I would've loved to've seen more of the Empire in that time period. It's the epitome of the look of SW. I think that's what made RO so awesome. It just had so much classic Empire!

The music was good. New mixed with old at just the right moments.

One part that sticks out as so stupid was making Han speak Wookie. I get the point, but really? That's the ONLY time we EVER hear Han speak in Chewie's tongue? What's worse is what Han said sounded like gibberish compared to the different tones and inflections they put on the standard Chewie "dialogue".

I liked it better than the prequels and sequels, but not more than the OT or RO.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
For the record, I never raved about it. I found it very middle of the road and generally forgettable. To quote myself from a while back on the other thread:

Solo was... okay. It was fun at times and dragged at others. It was better than TLJ and better than TFA, but not as good as RO. I could never get past the non-compatibility of the actor. He was never quite Han to me. Also, the Lando romance (?), the droid revolutionary, rebellion origin and Darth Maul cameo were just dumb. And the villain was meh. Otherwise, the action was good, even if a little predictable. Overall, kinda middle of the road.
Looking back now, I have a hard time even recalling the story. I may have had a couple while watching, which is never good for my memory, but also I just didn't find it that compelling or relevant to the greater canon.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
I liked it, my expectations were very low. Would have liked to see the crew last longer than they did. (Wonder if that had anything to do with the rewrites.)

Since I got clued into the fembot jokes beforhand, I enjoyed it, but I get why people feel why that crap is being forced down our throats.

Its on Netflicks for free right now so if you are on the fence about it, its really the best time to see it.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I pulled it up again last night and watched 15 minutes'ish after commenting to try and figure out what it was that looked so off to me. I think they filmed a lot with a soft focus, for some reason. I guess technically the whole movie was a flashback, at least for us. 😄

Last edited: