Star Wars - Episode VIII - The Last Jedi - SPOILERS

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
None of them were gawd awful, but they are least impressive and just haven't aged well. The older OT looks better for the most part. That's sad.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I'd put down decent cash for an original (aka unabused) digital version of the OT.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I used to have at least Jedi recorded off the TeeVee, complete with commercials... :p

Little did we know that Lucas would jack up the OT and then refuse to produce DVD copies of the original versions...

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I don't recall where/when I heard/read it, but supposedly unedited versions are coming or at least expected thanks to the merger.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
According to that article I paid $89.95 in 2006! Adjusted for inflation.. that's $112.10!

I don't recall it being that expensive.. but sure, maybe. Those were the days I'd go and blow tons of money on DVDs.. what a waste.. but in this case.. good!

They're listed on eBay for $200-$400.. yikes. Maybe I will show them to my son for the first time he's seen the OT.. no way to better experience it other than the original way!

Reactions: ThunderDan19

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Maybe I will show them to my son for the first time he's seen the OT.. no way to better experience it other than the original way!
Don't get your hopes up that he'll enjoy them if he's seen any other modern film/TV. They literally look comical to them and the pacing is painfully boring.
I showed a tween Superman: The Movie, and she cracked up. "What is this?!" MFW ➡😡. She mysteriously died shortly after. 🤷‍😈️

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I thought the originals were only issued digitally on laser disk.
This Best Buy-only DVD set was just the laser disk copy on DVD. They didn't even add anything, just slapped it on smaller disks. This is good (and bad).. good because it's VERY original.. Ep IV just says STAR WARS.. bad because.. well it's very rough to watch apparently.

Don't get your hopes up that he'll enjoy them if he's seen any other modern film/TV. They literally look comical to them and the pacing is painfully boring.
I showed a tween Superman: The Movie, and she cracked up. "What is this?!" MFW ➡😡. She mysteriously died shortly after. 🤷‍😈️
Truth.. though I bought Superman: The Movie in 4K to watch a couple weeks back and sat down to watch it.. and oh my god.. it's so freaking slow. I made it to about when he's gonna land on earth and turned it off for something else.. I did not remember the part in the beginning on Krypton taking so long. Zod and them were in the first movie?!

But anyway.. yeah its a different pace back in the day..

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Zod and friends are only banished in the first film. Donner had part II planned out ahead of time and knew he'd be bringing them back.

But yeah, like Man of Steel, the Krypton scene is painfully boring. It's far worse on the extended cut that came out last year.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I wonder if I was watching the extended cut or not.

I completely didn't remember hardly any of that from watching it years and years ago, maybe I blocked it out. Buncha old farts not even really arguing. I guess I think MoS did that part better.. up until the dickships.

But yeah I forgot they were banished in I, I figured they were introduced in II. Cool continuity there.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Is there a SW general thread? Eh...

I'm curious what a linear mash up would look like, but this isn't bad. It's weird how jarring some of the sequel material is to me, but I assume it's because I haven't watched them countless times.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
That was good!

I am always amazed how well I feel SOLO and Rogue One fit in with the overall feel. Though this video did a great job even making the Sequels feel connected. I think having Han Solo missing from TLJ really hurt it. He had a very strong "anchoring" part in TFA. If he'd been his old self, I think people could have accepted Luke being different. Instead we got Leia, who was really barely in it, and a bunch of new/different without enough old/nostalgia to keep us connected.

I would love to see a Prequel super cut with a good editor. There IS some good stuff there, it just needs to be coaxed out. I love that Jimmy Smits came back to play his character in Rogue One.

Sequel trilogy will heavily depend on EPIX. EPIX! If it blows us away, it has the ability to fix a lot of TLJ problems in retrospect.. but it has to basically be a perfect film.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah, I mean we'll probably get some Ghost Luke in IX but can't be too much. It'll have to be the Rey/Finn/Poe/Kylo show.. which.. ehhh.

Like I said, JJ is going to have to dig deep to pull on whatever nostalgia strings are left to get butts in seats for IX. I am not sure how he'll do it though. Ewoks? Old Lando? Mothball Red Squadron back to save the day?
*snickers*

So after TROS, and watching TLJ again, I did some thinking about where I place TLJ now, and how I feel about the issues/etc. I read through this thread again and it's pretty funny how we all felt way back in 2017 and beyond.

I do think TROS retroactively makes SOME things about TLJ better, it gives excuses for a few others, and hand waves away 1 or 2 more. I can't think of any way where TROS makes TLJ *WORSE* in retrospect, which is a good thing.

I think I have narrowed my complaint list on TLJ to 3 things, these are the 3 BIG offenders, and while there are still a bunch of smaller dumb things (Poe & Hux conversation, Firing at the base before the ship, all of Canto Bite...), they're not at the "movie ruining" level and can pretty much be eye-rolled away.

#1. Holdo. Just... no-ldo. Uh oh! I must be misogynistic! In fairness, she isn't 100% movie-breaking in every scene, and even her stupid man-hating opening parts could be justified in certain ways. However, where she goes 100% movie-breaking is at 1:26:43. Poe goes to the bridge (and is informed by Bird Lady that the Admiral banned him from the bridge, but he goes anyway). Holdo greets him with a dismissive 'flyboy', which, while rude.. is whatever, could just be her character. Poe asks (legitimately) what the plan is. He says they had a fleet and now they have one ship. The actual conversation goes as follows:

Poe: "Tell us we have a plan. That there's hope."
Holdo: "When I served under LEIA, she would say hope is like the sun, if you only believe it in when you see it-"
Poe: "-you'll never make it through the night."
Holdo: "Yes."

Sidebar, at this point they seem to make a legit connection, okay maybe she's not such a bitch, maybe he's not so brash. We got off on the wrong foot, but hey lets fix this for the betterment of the Resistance. NOPE!

[Poe notices the transports are getting fueled]
Poe: "Are you fueling up the transports?"
Holdo: [SILENCE]
Poe: "You are! All of them?!"
Poe: "We're abandoning ship? Is that... that's what you got? That's what you brought us to?"
Poe: "Coward! Those transport ships are un-armed, un-shielded! We abandon this cruises we're done, we don't stand a chance. No, you are not just a coward, you are a traitor!"
Holdo: "Get this man off my bridge."

So by my count she had AT LEAST 5 times to tell Poe what the plan was, that there WAS a plan, or literally anything other than some vague axiom about hope. There is zero reason at this point for her not to say anything to Poe. If anything, knowing he's hot-headed, she should be making sure to defuse any kind of situation before it escalates further. Of course this leads to Poe telling Finn/Rose about the plan to abandon ship, which DJ overhears and eventually tells the First Order, thus ruining the whole plan for everyone. Is that Poe's fault? I guess technically, since he was the one who shared the info... BUT... there is still zero point zero percent reason for Holdo to not be telling literally everyone on board what the plan is. I'd previously said if they'd introduced some sort of espionage or potential trailer aboard, that would have given Holdo SOME sort of reasoning, but instead it comes off as just being too much of a fucking bitch to say anything, and that's NOT Star Wars-esque at all.

Because this impacts the whole rest of the story, it's borderline unforgivable. I have a really hard time swallowing this scene and moving on. Ugh.

#2. Rose. Oh no! I'm misogynistic AND racist! Like Holdo, I don't think Rose is 100% bad, I just think the character isn't needed. She does act as a sounding board for Finn, and I guess moves his character forward in seeing that the galaxy isn't black or white I guess? It just all feels kind of inconsequential for the amount of screen time she gets in TLJ. But most of that isn't movie-breaking. It's just annoying. However, Rose knocking Finn out of the way of the... uh death star ram? is pretty freaking stupid. I mean, look at this. He was THAT close. Don't tell me the First Order was going to shoot him down, at that speed he would have at least hit it. Would that have destroyed it? I have no idea, if it wouldn't have, they should have made that more clear (showing that Finn was going to die for nothing, thus giving Rose a purpose).

TLJ-Stupid Rose.png

The following "Love" sentiment and completely stupid "kiss" is just icing on the terrible Rose cake. I am glad her role was reduced in TROS, since she is just not a needed character with so many others running around.

#3. Luke's sacrifice. Now, surprisingly, I've come to terms with this, especially in light of TROS. What still sticks in my craw is the way it's played out in TLJ. I can (finally) get behind the themes and emotions of him coming to Crait as a force vision or whatever, to fight the battle without violence (like throwing down his lightsaber instead of finishing Vader). It shows growth, what the light side should stand for, etc. Fine fine. What I have a problem with is.. he shows up, walks around, and then walks out to confront Kylo et al. Okay. Doesn't tell anyone what to do? Hints? Best case scenario is he delays them, since he's not dealing any damage. If he'd said something like "I'll face them, I'll buy you some time to escape" then it'd make sense. But he doesn't, they all stand around watching until finally Poe is like "uh maybe we should try to get out of here..." like, duh! This complaint list is in descending order, so this one is just barely still on the list, but it is just such a stupid omission that I think of it every time.

So yeah, I think I'd rank TLJ about a 70/100 now after all is said and done, MAYBE even a 75/100 tied with The Force Awakens. As part of the trilogy as a whole, it's reduced/changed/or otherwise tempered a lot of the things I originally didn't like about TLJ.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
Holdo could have been easily fixed, it seems like they edited out a spy subplot that could easily explain her behavor as as a normal human being.

Oh my God they are tracking our ships through hyperspace how is that possible? Could we has a spy. Looks at coma Leia with the tracking device on her so Rey can "find" them.

Canto Bright - Not really so bad but does need the plot to be paid off later, supposedly in another movie we will never get to see.

Most of my issues have to due with movie structure, plots that contradict other things in the movie (Timeline) The 1st Order is a joke & can never be taken as a threat.

Finn - How can I betray you Finn. Seriously if you were a really good stormtooper buddy of his, he enjoyed killing you. I half expected him & Lando to get together & say "Who's your Daddy?" You are, you gonna betray me? "Hell ya!"

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah, and kind of intrigue on the ship could have/would have gone a lone way towards explaining her reticence towards revealing their plans. Though, at that point in the movie, clearly a TON of people on the ship know what is going on because the transports aren't secretly being filled either.. it really just seems like she's purposefully only keeping Poe out of the loop.. which again, is just inexcusably bitchy.

The best part out of Canto Bite was the revelation that the arms companies were making X-Wings & TIE Fighters.. but of course that was never mentioned again or even relevant ever again, which seemed like it could have gone in an interesting direction.

And yes, the First Order was never allowed to have the same sort of gravitas that the Empire had, which is a shame. It never made sense to me how after TFA they were suddenly in control of the galaxy in TLJ.. like literally hours had passed since the Resistance blew up Star Killer base.. wtf.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Boyega is pretty based. He has a right to be pissed. They could have made him a force-sensitive ex-stormtrooper, but instead they made him a stock black side character at best (TROS), and at worst, like something out of a 1930s film (TFA).

After watching this trilogy, I'd keep my pecker far away from any "Reylo" shippers. There is nothing approaching a normal acquaintance relationship in this story, far, far less a romantic one.
Besides, if Kylo took off that fucking helmet and looked like Jason Alexander or Carrot Top (pre-roids), they'd be the ones reeing the loudest over the toxicity of this supposed relationship, instead of dousing their moth-eaten panties over the "dark and brooding bad boy I can save" fantasy insert they've concocted because it's Adam Driver.

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Boyega is pretty based. He has a right to be pissed. They could have made him a force-sensitive ex-stormtrooper, but instead they made him a stock black side character at best (TROS), and at worst, like something out of a 1930s film (TFA).
After watching this trilogy, I'd keep my pecker far away from any "Reylo" shippers. There is nothing approaching a normal, acquaintance relationship in this story, far, far less a romantic one.
Besides, if Kylo took off that fucking helmet and looked like Jason Alexander or Carrot Top (pre-roids) they'd be the ones reeing the loudest over the toxicity of this supposed relationship, instead of dousing their moth-eaten panties over the "dark and brooding bad boy I can save" fantasy insert they've concocted because it's Adam Driver.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Anybody swooning over Adam Driver needs to raise their “Hollywood hot” standards... by 1000.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
Did I post my Theory here?

Now that Rey is a known Disney Princess she is instantly required to get into the most dysfunctional abusive relationship possible.

Seriously none of these princesses get a happy ending
Cinderella- hooks up with the guy who necro romanced Snow White & sleeping beauty. Should have seen the look on Charming’s face when those bitches WOKE up.

Arial - Married a guy in 3 days then he filleted her once she started talking

Beauty “stockholm syndrome”

Pocahontas- see real history

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
Yeah, and kind of intrigue on the ship could have/would have gone a lone way towards explaining her reticence towards revealing their plans. Though, at that point in the movie, clearly a TON of people on the ship know what is going on because the transports aren't secretly being filled either.. it really just seems like she's purposefully only keeping Poe out of the loop.. which again, is just inexcusably bitchy.

The best part out of Canto Bite was the revelation that the arms companies were making X-Wings & TIE Fighters.. but of course that was never mentioned again or even relevant ever again, which seemed like it could have gone in an interesting direction.

And yes, the First Order was never allowed to have the same sort of gravitas that the Empire had, which is a shame. It never made sense to me how after TFA they were suddenly in control of the galaxy in TLJ.. like literally hours had passed since the Resistance blew up Star Killer base.. wtf.
That was the flaw in Force Awakens. Star Killer base basically obliterated the New Republic and no one cared because we were worried about it killing a resistance base of 100 extras.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Let’s be honest: TLJ and the rest of the ST was designed to supersize the OT, grab a new female/woke market, and cash in. It went to an absurd level on all but the last, which petered out as the original fans finally gave up on it.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
That was the flaw in Force Awakens. Star Killer base basically obliterated the New Republic and no one cared because we were worried about it killing a resistance base of 100 extras.
Which was a huge disservice. I'm not sure how they fucked that up. I mean, obviously it parallels ANH.. Death Star destroys a whole planet of people we don't know (Alderaan), but then we're worried about them taking out the small rebel force we literally just met as the audience. However.. somehow it works. I think because it's all new. By TFA we all knew who these characters were previously, so we wanted to see how the universe grew and expanded since then.. but we got nothing, just kaboom New Republic, and oh, look there's a Resistance! It's always stuck in my craw that there was a Resistance WHILE there was a Republic.

Let’s be honest: TLJ and the rest of the ST was designed to supersize the OT, grab a new female/woke market, and cash in. It went to an absurd level on all but the last, which petered out as the original fans finally gave up on it.
Yeah I have no idea, outside of the man-hating Holdo and MAYBE the lesbian kiss in TROS, I felt like the woke-level was kind of all over the place. Nothing about Finn seemed woke. He's black, but none of it was ABOUT him being black. Same with Rey, she was a super-powered woman, but I don't think any of it was especially focused on the fact that she was awesome was strictly because she was a woman.

The whole WOKE thing gets messy when everyone starts saying anything OTHER than a straight white man is woke. To me it feels like there needs to be a clear message than the whatever is better simple because they're not straight/white/man/etc.

Disney always wants their cake and to eat it too, so they tend to not go overboard on too many things, and I think everyone can agree that they just mishandled SW the last couple of years.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
In ANH, the Empire took over the government separately from blowing up Alderaan. There was exposition that world build Empire’s standing as both a political and military entity. We had the Emperor as an established ruler. The First Order felt like the Rebellion only evil. I know they can’t fix everything in this trilogy but it was doomed when they chose such arbitrary elements to make it feel like Star Wars.

I think they painted themselves in a corner by making this a rule of 3. “Let’s have a trilogy of trilogies!” I think they would have been better off planning 6 movies with 1:35-1:55 runtimes. There’s just so much they’re trying to cram into 3 movies with probably 4 movies worth of runtime. Like if these were 3 two parters, it could have been something. They would have had enough space to build on a lot of these hanging threads.