Star Wars Mandolorian thread

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I thought it was all great. There were moments during the season where it was 100% movie-film quality, but then a lot of times where you go "ah right, this is a TV show". Which is fine, just interesting how it's not 100% consistent.

They had some bigwigs directing this season too.. this episode was done by the guy who did Ant-man (and the Wasp).

I keep hoping somehow they're going to just erase the Sequel Trilogy, as I don't like that it's the predetermined future of the saga.. anything these characters do now doesn't matter because it's all still leading to TLJ.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah I also saw today they're filming the Fett show now, and as soon as it's done, they start filming Mando season 3, so I am guessing either they'll air at the same time, or Fett will go first and maybe overlap a few weeks and then Mando continues the story perhaps. Should be interesting to see how they intertwine all the shows.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Ok, so the fam and I just mainlined both seasons of Mando in 24 hours. It was like a SW injection to the veins.

I get what everyone has been saying. It was very OT, and I enjoyed the hell out of it. Some of the episodes were better than others (duh), and a few of them were s-l-o-w. The one with Ahsoka put me to sleep. So much talking that I glazed over. I find Rosario Dawson to be boring as hell. The ones directed by Opie's daughter were less exciting, while the ones directed by Robert Rodriguez were incredible. I'm a huge Desperado fan, so I wasn't surprised when the better episodes of S2 were his.

I went in 100% cold, having avoided spoilers for over a year. I knew baby yoda existed just because I'm alive, on the internet, and follow SW toys. But I knew nothing of the plot of the series or where it was going.

I will say, I am proud of the actors I recognized in costume. In the very first ep, my wife and I looked at each other and said "That blue fish guy is Horatio Sans!" I also correctly identified one of the funny S1 Scout Troopers (that abduct the child from the Ugnaught) as Jason Sudeikis. And I appreciated that everyone carried their valuables in ice cream makers, a nice nod to Willrow Hood, the ice cream man.

I was laughing my ass off at Timothy Oliphant in boba fett's armor. I absolutely loved Deadwood and Justified, so that episode was classic. But my favorite cameo was in the slow Ahsoka episode. I was watching Mando face off in the street with the magistrate lady's right hand man, and he said, "Fight's not with you, Mandalorian." I thought to myself: "wow this really is a space western b/c that line is straight out of the final quickdraw scene of Tombsto.... holy shit that's Johnny Ringo!" And sure enough, Michael Biehn it was. I totally had not recognized him before then in the first 92% of the episode.

I have little to say that hasn't already been said. It really does fill out the world nicely while feeling new yet familiar all at once. I had a few quibbles here and there, but overall, I couldn't have asked for better. It was abundantly clear the people making the show had sensibilities that are very much in line with our generation of SW fans.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I do think you miss some of the .. je ne sais quoi when you binge it. It makes the slower episodes better, because you've been waiting a week to see it, so you're still just as invested. The Ahsoka episode was mostly a lore dump, Grogu's name! Where he came from (the Jedi Temple!), THRAWN! It was cool finally seeing a lightsaber on screen too, and the Beskar spear came in handy down the road.

Mando is really as close to OT SW as I think we'll ever get. I really do appreciate that they set to make a Space Samurai/Western again, and NOT make more "SW". The Sequel trilogies were looking to make more Star Wars, and in doing so, the greatness was lost in translation I feel. The ST was very much STAR WARS in every possible way, except for the feeling and heart.

Favs captures the style and essence, Filoni makes sure canon is being respected and the story threads are aligned.

I really hope they can stick the landing with Book of Fett, Mando Season 3, Ahsoka show, Rangers of the Republic.. and everything else (Andor, Kenobi, etc). It's a lot, but they've earned my eyeballs until they let me down.

Oh, and LUKE FUCKING SKYWALKER.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I think I was more excited about Johnny Ringo ;)

I assumed it was luke who showed the minute I saw the x-wing, because fan service... but in the back of my mind, I was hoping it was Kyle Katarn. As an avid player of the Dark Forces and JK video games, Kyle was the man. And given that he was facing down dark troopers, it seemed like it would be far more fitting... and be a character that could be recurring in a way cgi-Hamill cannot.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Stupid question, in the Favreau article NSA linked above, they state that Fett has reclaimed his palace in the teaser for Book of Fett. Where in all of the media and fiction did they ever establish that Jabba's Palace previously belonged to Boba Fett? I was shocked that something that significant was nowhere in my memory...

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I don't know that he REclaimed it, I would assume he CLAIMED it?

"In it, the two took back Fett's palace from Bib Fortuna". Ehh.. took back would imply he once had it, I think it's just lazy writing unless there's a big missing info gap out there. He clearly didn't own it before Jabba, MAYBE he escaped the Sarlaac and tussled with Bib for a bit or something.. but that seems overly complicated. I think it's just a lame toofab writer.. It LOOKS like he's taking it back, sure, and someone with a vague sense of SW would know he WAS there in the OT.. so 1+1=3 of course.

And for Kyle Katarn.. that would be cool, but a weird way to use him with no lead in. Even Ezra would have been a weird link for first time viewers. I too thought they'd fake us out until I saw the green saber.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
In my mind, Kyle is inextricably linked to the Dark Troopers, so that made me twinge with excitement at the possibility. He would be a great Jedi character to introduce in these shows b/c he has plenty of history in the universe but not so much that they couldn't tell a ton of new stories about him.

And the sheer mention of Thrawn was also a big deal. I don't know how much of the original Zahn books is still in Disney-SW continuity, but there is probably a lot in the Thrawn era outside of Luke/Mara that can be told. I have a soft spot for Thrawn, as I think he was a better big-bad than vader or palpatine. He was the military genius and far more suited to running a galaxy-spanning empire than a deranged politician-wizard.

• Love
Reactions: NSA

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
In my mind, Kyle is inextricably linked to the Dark Troopers, so that made me twinge with excitement at the possibility. He would be a great Jedi character to introduce in these shows b/c he has plenty of history in the universe but not so much that they couldn't tell a ton of new stories about him.

And the sheer mention of Thrawn was also a big deal. I don't know how much of the original Zahn books is still in Disney-SW continuity, but there is probably a lot in the Thrawn era outside of Luke/Mara that can be told. I have a soft spot for Thrawn, as I think he was a better big-bad than vader or palpatine. He was the military genius and far more suited to running a galaxy-spanning empire than a deranged politician-wizard.

Yeah, they mentioned I think this is the 3rd iteration of the Dark Troopers.. so I suppose there is still a backstory to be told where you could have Kyle involved earlier than now, or I suppose still in the future as I can't imagine Moff Gideon had ALL the Dark Troopers on his little ship. He still figures to be somewhat of a lower-level Imperial if that was his flagship, and he was just doing tasks in the Outer Rim. The Darksaber backstory should be fun though..

And yes, Thrawn was amazing in the books. I feel they've done a decent job at portraying him so far in the new canon books and in Rebels, though he was a bit, I dunno kid-ized in Rebels (same with Palpatine), so I am hopefully they'll do him justice in one of these shows. Disney more or less kept his origins from what I can tell, Chiss, super smart, blue, etc. They had him interact with Anakin/Vader in the Middle Time (After PT, Before OT). Having him warp off to parts unknown with Ezra right before ANH was a brilliant way to explain what he was doing the whole OT. I think in the original books he was just off in the far reaches of space doing.. stuff.. during it all (so technically still sorta accurate maybe).

He really is more of a trilogy-level villain instead of a show.. but I am guessing from what they said, the Mando season 3, Ahsoka, and Fett will all dovetail into the Rangers of the New Republic series which I am guessing will be mostly about confronting the "big bad" that links all the shows together (which I assume has to be Thrawn).