Star Wars |OT| General (Kenobi) Thread

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I think it would be cool with older Ewan.. a perfect bridge to ANH Obi-wan. Some prosthetics.. perfect!

I can't imagine he can face Vader though, as that's the big thing in ANH. Would it all take place on Tatooine?

Bail Organa and the Resistance seem to know pretty keenly about his "Jedi friend" in Rogue One, so I am guessing he didn't just sit around the desert planet exclusively between Revenge of the Sigh and A New Hope.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Just watched T2: Trainspotting, and while it has nothing to do with this movie, it did make me remember that I appreciate Ewan's work. This could be a SW project that actually doesn't suck.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
So why didn't anyone tell me that stupid DisneyXD "Rebels" show was so good??

They did a marathon of all the episodes over the weekend and my 4 year old and I started watching them from the beginning and it's a good show! (Better than TLJ...)

Gotta binge the rest this week so we can watch the finale..

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
15 years after Revenge of the Jedi, I'm only in season 1, but the ship and droid had small cameos in Rogue One, so I'd guess the end point should be around then.

So far they had 2 cameos by OT characters, and I know a few more are in the wings. Short (20 mins) episodes when you fast forward past commercials. I'm sure it's streaming somewhere too.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
*snickers*

We finished the first season of Rebels last night and started on the 2nd.. oh my goodness. The final episode of season 1 was EPIC. There was a scene where my 4 year old was standing on the couch going WHOA and it legitimately felt like a kick-ass Star Wars moment. I was impressed.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I watched the first 3 seasons of the Clone Wars toon. Got bored. Didn't want to bother with another SW toon that I assume would also bore me.
I watched the first three episodes of Clone Wars, got bored, and never bothered with any more SW toons. I just assumed they weren't aimed at me and left it at that.

My SW universe consists of the OT movies, the Zahn books, a few post-Jedi books by Kevin J Anderson, and maybe a few others (Wolverton?)... and that's about it. The new movies are *fine*, but they'll never be canon in my head, no matter how many press releases Disney puts out.

I have never had any interest in the prequel era, the far distant past, or the far distant future in the SW universe. I try very hard to forget they exist. By having other massively big threats in different eras, it feels 1) repetitive and 2) like it diminishes the OT, as if none of it really mattered b/c the big bads are just going to resurface ad nauseam anyway and "our" heroes weren't really that special.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I wonder if watching it with an enthusiastic kid makes it more enjoyable...? Second hand hype? :unsure:
I am sure it helps, but honestly I think I'm more into it than he is. I legit got chills at one part, it was so cool. The pacing/etc was just done perfectly. It was just a fun moment where his shock/joy was about the same as mine.

I watched the first three episodes of Clone Wars, got bored, and never bothered with any more SW toons. I just assumed they weren't aimed at me and left it at that.

My SW universe consists of the OT movies, the Zahn books, a few post-Jedi books by Kevin J Anderson, and maybe a few others (Wolverton?)... and that's about it. The new movies are *fine*, but they'll never be canon in my head, no matter how many press releases Disney puts out.

I have never had any interest in the prequel era, the far distant past, or the far distant future in the SW universe. I try very hard to forget they exist. By having other massively big threats in different eras, it feels 1) repetitive and 2) like it diminishes the OT, as if none of it really mattered b/c the big bads are just going to resurface ad nauseam anyway and "our" heroes weren't really that special.
Yeah, I never got into Clone Wars, and that period wasn't ever really high on my list of things I wanted to explore MORE of. Rebels is a direct sequel to Clone Wars, so there is some carryover with plot lines and characters but nothing too big, as I'm not lost or anything and I didn't watch Clone Wars.

Rebels is definitely aimed towards kids, but it doesn't seem to be done in an offensive or irritating way. The characters are mostly younger, so they act younger, but they act like young people theoretically would in the SW universe. They're not acting like kids would here. There are also adults who act like SW adults for the most part. Some of the episodes are certainly filler, and at like 20 minutes they mostly fly by and the problem-of-the-week gets resolved. What has made it so good for me is the SW details they fit in, and how well it fits in. I'm going to post some Season 1 and light other season spoilers so you get an idea.

Lando shows up in a couple episodes as a smooth talking smuggler. It's not just fan service, and he has goals and motivations of his own, not just to be like 'hey, Lando!'. Bail Organa also shows up, and is vital to the formation of the rebellion. Grand Moff Tarkin plays a part, as do a few other familiar faces.

In one of the upcoming seasons they have the return of Thrawn as well, so I'm excited to see how that happens, as it means he's still canon.

So far, Rebels feels like it absolutely fits in with the Rogue One-theme, just a little bit more kid friendly. Storm Troopers get blown up, TIE Fighters blow up, characters get tortured, etc. It's not GI JOE level of silliness where no one dies or gets hurt. I need to finish it to see how it all ties into the OT properly, but season 1 seems to be about 5 or 6 years before A New Hope, so there is time to flesh out the universe a little bit.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Yeah, the further they get from the OT characters, the more insignificant they seem. I have that feeling in my own life. The further I look outside of it, the more meaningless everything I do becomes. I start applying that to humanity in general, and we become insignificant on a space scale. I guess the only truly significant impact we have is on the planet/nature. Sheesh we're cancer.

Wait, what were we talking about?

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Well, yeah, I mean we like to think of ourselves as important in some meaningful way, but there were literally billions of people alive and now dead before you were even a gleam in your fathers testies. There will be billions more after we're dead and buried.

Only a few people have their legacies transcend time.. Jesus (whatever/whoever he was), Buddha, Hitler, probably a couple others, but it's a small list.

From a universe perspective in SW, Luke/Han/Vader/etc are a tiny part, only magnified in our eyes because we follow their story. Were they important? Absolutely. But there were a ton of other people/aliens/etc that were also important in the grand scheme of it all.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
But that's my point. Our characters were the keys to defeating a galaxy-spanning empire. Even in a big universe, something that profound shouldn't happen with any regularity. By making the OT so epic, it somewhat precludes other conflicts from being similarly epic, lest these types of conflicts become a fairly routine occurrence.

If defeating an enemy this big is something happens 2-3 times per generation, then all of it becomes fairly mundane and pointless. These guys become the space version of the Middle East, just chucking the same rocks at each other for millennia. I really don't want to view my SW through that lens.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Well, I mean the prequels were about the great evil arriving, so that doesn't really take away from the OT. In the grand scheme of things they defeated the Separatists or whatever.. but they were the Grand Army of the Republic and 10,000 Jedi Knights.. so it was kind of expected.

The Sequel movies.. well that IS rehashing the formula a bit, oh, ANOTHER evil empire is here and somehow taking over.. even though we didn't get a clear explanation for that.. I can see that. Though I imagine it could be kind of a WWI and WWII type of thing.. cause and effect. WWII happening doesn't change the bravery of the WWI soldiers, but it does put the whole conflict into a different perspective.

As far as the extended media goes.. I feel like they're more coloring around the known stuff, without superseding it. Rogue One doesn't make Luke any less heroic, it just adds new characters who were heroic in their own way. It's a big galaxy and a lot of people needed to do extraordinary things to defeat the Empire.

As far as Rebels go.. I have to wait till I finish it before I can assess the impact it has on the OT, but so far it's all small skirmishes. Foundation work towards building something bigger. By the time the OT arrives, the Emperor basically disbands the senate and seizes total power. Prior to that there had to be some sort of working government that wasn't 100% Empire, which helped sow the seeds of rebellion, we're getting to see that play out, and it is cool in my opinion.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I guess the overarching theme of the discussion boils down to dilution. For me, I don't want or need to explore the rich tapestry of this universe. I'm interested in a small subset of characters in it that I have deemed (correctly or not) vastly more important than the rest, and outside of those characters, I just don't give a f#$%.

Ep VII, VIII, and RO as films were *fine*, perfectly enjoyable, no problem. And the further from the original trilogy we go, the less interested I become. I no longer read the new books, buy the comics, hunt the toys, or watch the cartoons. It's not that I no longer like SW, because I do... but maybe my give-a-damn bucket is simply full. I care about A, B, & C... and I don't have the spare time or energy to invest whole-hog in X, Y, & Z.

*slides plate to the middle of the table*

I'm good, thanks.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah I guess that makes sense.

I was big into the old EU, from Thrawn to the New Jedi Order and all of that. For the 90s and 00s, it was really cool to see all these fantastic ways the Star Wars universe was continuing on.

When they killed the old EU, I got pretty mad.. but I understand that it really limited what kind of stories they could tell.

I've always enjoyed the 'expanded universe' type of thing for properties I'm invested in. When I like something I WANT TO KNOW OMG EVERYTHING ABOUT IT. I suppose I can accept some people don't want to.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com

I was big into the old EU, from Thrawn to the New Jedi Order and all of that. For the 90s and 00s, it was really cool to see all these fantastic ways the Star Wars universe was continuing on.

When they killed the old EU, I got pretty mad.. but I understand that it really limited what kind of stories they could tell.

I've always enjoyed the 'expanded universe' type of thing for properties I'm invested in. When I like something I WANT TO KNOW OMG EVERYTHING ABOUT IT. I suppose I can accept some people don't want to.
Halo is the one I want expanded, but I want the early stuff like Reach, not the Halo 4 & 5 nonsense. Can’t get enough space marine on my tv! Aliens is another one, but they keep avoiding the marines.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com

I went through that phase. I read all the books in the 90's and early 2ks. But my interest still centered around the OT cast and the stragglers they picked up along the way (Talon Karrde, Mara, the kids, etc). I played the Dark Forces and Jedi Knight games... love me some Kyle Katarn. But learning what happened in that same place 1000 years before or after seemed... irrelevant. I disconnected with Old Republic nonsense or the much much later books. Those things really felt like they were diluting the property rather than enhancing it.

As for Disney, I understand their decision to clean the board. As a fan, I was horrified, but from a business perspective, it makes perfect sense. But that's part of the issue. I'm a fan, not a stockholder. SW 2.0 feels like something totally different, like the sterilized, monetized, focus-grouped version of something that was cool once upon a time. It's like the "New 52" for DC or Bayformers for TF. It's been diluted, changed in odd ways, and ends up vastly different than what you fell in love with.

I still watch the movies, I still like the property, and I still collect OT 6" figures... but my desire to embrace this new thing in the same manner as I once did the original... simply isn't there.

(This feels like I'm telling Star Wars that I just want to be friends. Should I go eat a pint of ice cream now?)

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Your feelings and my feelings are nearly identical on this stuff, nacho. Like everything you're saying I'm nodding along. The further they get from the OT, the less I care. Kind of like that new Krypton show. A show about Superman's great great grandpappy??

I can see maybe finding interest in something leading up to the OT like Rebels, considering how much I enjoyed Rogue One, but the more I think about RO, the more I think I love it only because of the last 5 minutes, and not the movie as a whole. I'm really not sure. NSA's description helped Rebels, but then did the opposite at the same time. It all sounds pretty cool EXCEPT for the ragtag group of kids. ♪Annoying!♪ :grumpy:

It's not on Netflix, sooooo... I guess I can check Kodi to gauge interest.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
G.I.*EDDIE It's not a group of kids, 2 of them are teenagers (I guess) and 1 is a droid, and 3 are adults. Like I said though, it's not annoying kid antics like you'd see in a normal show. Really they're not a whole lot different from Luke in ANH. Thankfully it's not the kids fighting, like, Empire kids! A few of the episodes revolve around an Imperial Academy, so there are some other kids involved, but they're not the focus or the driving Force for the show.

I enjoyed Rogue One, most of it really. I watched it again a couple months ago after Last Jedi and it was good. The ending was awesome of course, but I liked the build-up as well.

pcsguy88 Yeah.. I consume almost all the Halo media and.. ehhh. None of it has really captured that initial feeling. They've come close a few times, but I think the grand scope of the universe has tripped them up.

nacho That makes sense. I suppose I've kind of given up on nostalgia. Sometimes it'll get to me, but I think the GI JOE debacle kind of killed it for me. I'll give the new things a try and drop them if they suck (TLJ) or embrace them if they're good (Rebels). I'm not pigeonholing myself into either one all the time.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I don't think it's nostalgia that's causing my feelings toward the current SW. I understand that things evolve, adapt, and change with the times and for new audiences. That's fine. I'm ok with it. But like I said, I think I simply don't have the time or mental bandwidth to deeply care about what's new. I'll go see the new films, but that's the extent of it. I don't begrudge the new things for existing. I simply recognize that I don't really need more of it. I'm content with the space this franchise occupies in my head already.