So??? It's almost 6am your time, why haven't you reported in yet??? :p

Buzz around here is... non-existent.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
It 'retcons' maybe 2 things from TLJ, but not really, it just pokes fun at the stupider things from that movie that nobody liked/didn't make sense.

It basically has to do 2 movies worth of moving the story forward, since TLJ didn't do much (outside of Luke's struggle). So it kind of jumps around a lot in the beginning, but I felt it was all easy enough to follow.

It FEELS like a sequel to Force Awakens if anything (which I guess makes sense). It does, I think, the best anyone could possible have done with where the series was left after TLJ. It also more or less puts a bow on top of the whole series, which is nice.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
That's in line with the other accounts I've read regarding it being a sequel to TFA and an middle finger to TLJ. Still too bad they had to redo instead of pushing forward, due to Johnson being a douche, but hopefully it's enough to redeem some good from the ST.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Is the ST needed, even with TROS? No, not really.

Is the ST entertaining with TROS? Yeah, probably.

Does TROS make the ST make more sense? Maybe.

So I finished my re-watch of TLJ last night (with copious amounts of 20 year scotch aged in Sherry casks mind you).

It... it wasn't horrible. WTF?! Mind you, there are a few parts that are absolutely atrocious. This was pre-TROS so I wasn't colored by anything in that movie.

Almost any scene with Holdo in it is ruined because she's just mean/sarcastic/rude for no reason. Her not divulging the plan just makes no sense. NO SENSE. Poe even gives her multiple opportunities to do so, and she refuses. It's absolutely idiotic, and, this is a big one, if you can't let yourself just get over it and move on, it'll ruin anything good about the movie. I was there for a long time.

Canto Bite.. still dumb, but not as offensive. Rose also just has an annoying character in this movie. She's frumpy and yet sanctimonious (she is fine in TROS by the way, proving this was just poorly written). All that being said, Rose & Canto Bite don't RUIN things as bad as Holdo, so they are easier to ignore. Ultimately neither of them contribute much to the overall story either. Canto Bite, is theoretically the catalyst towards Finns growth, but really he just cares about his only real friend in the world (Rey).

The Luke/Rey stuff is actually good. It's not what I wanted when I saw TLJ, but it's an interesting take on how things could have gone.

Oh, Leia space flying is also horrible. Just memory hole that and move on. Nothing good comes from thinking about it.

So.. IF you can just roll your eyes at a couple parts, TLJ can be entertaining (I actually enjoyed it last night). I think outside of the couple of horrible decisions, the biggest problem with TLJ is it doesn't DO anything or GO anywhere. This makes the setup for TROS hard, and makes the trilogy really feel unbalanced.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
JJ giving even fatter Rose a 3 second “action” scene and shooting it in a way to make it look like she run just so she can play a part (she got the Revenge of the Sith Jar Jar treatment) had me rolling.

Hobbits are very distracting in space.

Besides Rose being in 30 seconds of the movie and Poe mentioning the battle of Crait (what freaking battle???), I would have never known TLJ existed.

I caught a couple arm hole peeks of Rey bra on one planet and all I could hear in my head is Carrie saying “they do not wear bras in space” during an interview.

JJ really did a terrific job. It’s crazy fast for the first hour, so you’ll miss like 2 scenes if you get up to pee, but it’s worth cutting him a break over the movie being 3.5hrs long to correct Rian’s mess. Almost everything happening is explained in a character’s lines to keep it moving and tying things together. I just couldn’t be happier really unless TLJ didn’t exist and JJ had 2 movies to cover this material.

There is probably a lot to pick at, but honestly I’m just so relieved that I’m just going to forgive it all.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
There is probably a lot to pick at, but honestly I’m just so relieved that I’m just going to forgive it all.
This sums it up nicely. Could it have been done differently/better? Probably. It would have benefited from being a quadrilogy at this point. But.. it's done, it's over, and I walked out smiling and happy. I'm not about to ask for any more than that in this day & age. It made 10 year old me happy, it made almost-40 year old me happy.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I think the thing that helps the most is how JJ made all the star characters seem mature. They actually feel like they belong now instead of feeling manufactured in the first two movies.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
The characters finally feel like a team this time around, they have camaraderie, shared experiences, it just works. It makes the jokes land better, and the action feel weightier.

Splitting them up in TLJ was so dumb. Poe didn't even MEET Rey until the last minute of the movie! Not to mention how bad it sidelined Finn. Here they all get a chance to shine, and my favorite parts are probably when they're all together.

Reactions: pcsguy88

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Well, that’s some pretty strong endorsement. I’ll keep my expectations low, but at least put my dread on hold when we go see it in late January or so.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Keep them low. The movie is probably a mess and takes a LOT of liberties explaining things with a one liner or an image, but it honestly is better than we could have hoped for coming out of TLJ. It’s a ridiculously fun movie if you just turn off that analytical switch in your head and enjoy the ride. It moves so fast in the first hour that you just don’t have the compute time to pick it apart on the fly. It’s entire aim is to stroke fanboy’s egos and it does it in a satisfying way. If TLJ did not exist, I’m sure I would take a star off of the rating, but I’ll have to see how I react during my 2nd viewing Monday evening.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
Well. I haven't seen it. I still don't want to. I had this same feeling when Revenge of the Sith came out. I don't need to watch the conclusion to something I don't like. Of the Disney films, Solo is the only one I enjoyed. Is it at least that kind of fun?

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I feel like the
hyperspace skipping
was tossed in there by JJ to make fun of how fast the scenes change.

Guess I should mention that 3D was done very well and added to the fun. It wasn’t just a bolted one gimmick like a lot of films.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
Spoilers
The movie feels like a bunch of short marvel comics strung together to make a bigger story. Don’t stop to analyze anything because it starts to fall apart if you question the weird logic C3po can read Sith but can’t say it. The giant fleet of star destroyer are all parked no one with guns on the one entrance.
Death lasts for 2 minutes, then they are ok.

It’s a fun movie but not great if you are on the fence wait till DVD you will be more forgiving

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
It’s a fun movie but not great if you are on the fence consider it non-canonical you will be more forgiving
Fixed it for you.
It's as bad as I thought, and as the spoilers made it out to be. Nonsensical and lore-breaking beyond belief. It managed a couple of Star Wars moments, but in the main I'm just glad this fiasco is over.

Call me when they do an R-rated, Joker-style Darth Vader origin story.

Reactions: Videoviper

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Apparently they included a celebratory L-kiss. Wonderful. I have now lost any motivation I had to take my kids to see it. Crappy story telling, now with a side of in your face LGBTQ agenda to complement TLJ’s feminist propaganda. They really are out to kill the SW saga. Thank God Mando has (thus far) stayed away from agenda.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Apparently they included a celebratory L-kiss. Wonderful. I have now lost any motivation I had to take my kids to see it. Crappy story telling, now with a side of in your face LGBTQ agenda to complement TLJ’s feminist propaganda. They really are out to kill the SW saga. Thank God Mando has (thus far) stayed away from agenda.
It’s so fast at the veeeeeeery end that I doubt a kid catches it. Think celebration scene from the “improved” ROTJ.

Story telling really is not that crappy as long as you keep the fact JJ had to cram 1.5 movies into 1. It’s just as convoluted as Endgame, but Star Wars. Way too much story for 2.5hrs.

Reactions: Mistermarks101

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I get it. TLJ is so bad that it diminishes every other SW movie. It just pisses me off that they always have to sneak ideological crap in. Just freaking work on fixing the crap from TLJ. Don’t introduce a whole nother load, no matter how “fast” it passes by. The best indoctrination is kind that you don’t consciously recognize.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
It won't be in the Chinese cut, not that anyone in China is actually going to go see the film.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
Fixed it for you.
It's as bad as I thought, and as the spoilers made it out to be. Nonsensical and lore-breaking beyond belief. It managed a couple of Star Wars moments, but in the main I'm just glad this fiasco is over.
That's what I was afraid of. I'm not dependent on it but I can't ignore it.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Saw it a 2nd time over the weekend, been mulling on my thoughts. Like PCS, I think I liked it better the 2nd time, though it was less emotional. Once you've seen it, you have a better grasp of what is going on and what is coming, so you can really watch and enjoy more without being on the edge of your seat the whole time. I picked up on a number of small little details I missed the first time.

In the 2nd viewing, I found the perfect spot where it should have been split into two movies. Spoilers ahead.

In a perfect world.. TLJ wouldn't exist. It would start with a version of the CRAWL from TROS, something something.. "with the destruction of Starkiller base, the terrifying voice of the dead Emperor could be hear throughout the galaxy. The RESISTANCE, fresh off their victory are now trying to track down the source of this message.. etc" Some of TLJ would have been folded into the first 1/2 of TROS. Keep all of the Luke/Rey stuff (tweak it a little, show him reacting to Han's death, talking more to Chewie, etc). This 2nd movie would keep the link between Kylo/Rey as well. Kylo's opening scenes would be him & Hux & main combat staff reporting to Snoke's ship after the Starkiller base disaster. His chair turns around, and he's dead! A hologram of the Emperor is in his place, infuriating Kylo and creating dissent in the First Order ranks, some want to join him, some thing it's a fraud/they are better than the old Empire. From here, you'd get most of the first 1/2 of TROS, culminating with Rey/Kylo showdown on the Star Destroyer (where he tells her she's a Palpatine). She escapes on the Falcon, with the dagger and the location of the Wayfinder/Death Star, but we end on that point. The rest of the group would have been doing the side missions while Rey was training. You'd also have scenes with Lando/etc going to different worlds trying to drum up support for the Resistance throughout, so it doesn't seem so slapped together.

2nd movie would be the rest of TROS, but with everything spaced out more to give it room to breath. More time on the 2nd Death Star, more with the ship of First Order deserters.. more on the evil Sith planet, and Palaptines goals/motivations/etc.

Even in a non-perfect world, if you did 4 movies, and kept TLJ, I think that would be the perfect spot to cut the movie, big reveal, promise of an adventure to come, you can have a small time lapse as maybe it takes them a bit to work out exactly where the 2nd Death Star is, or maybe it's in a First Order controller system, so it takes a while to come up with a plan to sneak in.. whatever. Damn, now I want to re-edit the movies.

But anyway, it's a fun movie, the lesbo kiss is a nothingburger. You will literally see worse in a health insurance TV ad. Don't take other people's advice, just for yourself. I'm a HUGE "lore" guy, and I didn't think there was anything especially egregious here.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I think...

If you were trying to keep things as close to what we saw as possible, the confrontation on Pasana (desert planet) could be timed so it's Finn/Poe/the Resistance and Rey is finishing her training/leaves Ach To to help her friends there/confront Kylo/etc and so the big showdown is on Pasana instead. OR.. since the group would be going around doing quests in movie 2, maybe they get tracked down by the first order, there is a SHORT space chase, and they get grounded on Crait just the same (but 1/10th the time!) and so the big showdown can be the same as we see. I feel like there is some wiggle room there. I'd cut out Canto Bite completely, and Finn/Rose's whole subplot in TLJ as it's not needed/doesn't do anything, same with the mutiny subplot on the ship.

Some of the Kylo/Rey bond would be combined/shorted I think, but you'd end up in the same place, since it's a huge part of TROS.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
GASP! My oh my! My sweet sensibilities are downright being attacked!

Hey maybe that's just how they say hi in space. We don't know.

I have two thoughts on the matter (because I know you all are waiting for my take):

#1. Oh My God! Who the hell cares? (familyguy.gif)

#2. I suppose there is some credence to the.. I don't know, pervasiveness and acceptance of the gay lifestyle? It's basically normalized now across most aspects of our lives. It's not 100% there, I still don't think we'll see a STAR openly gay NFL/sport player, but it'll happen at some point. BUT I would say it's become more common and really less of a big deal over time/exposure. Is this a bad thing? I dunno. Super anti-gay 1990's me would probably think so, but adult freedom loving me doesn't really care. What are the perceived downsides/negative aspects of this.. kids will see it and suddenly think "I'M GAY!". Possible, but unlikely. Some sort of normalization of things that go against the Bible? Ehh, sure, point taken, BUT.. so are 1000 other things in our daily life. I never understood why the whole being gay thing was enemy #1 when supposedly all sin is sin.

ANYHOO...

TROS left me OK with Star Wars being done for a while, but in a much different way that the immediate aftermath of TLJ. I'm content. The story has been told. Hopefully they can do fun fill-in stuff over time (like the Mandalorian, Obi-wan), but overall I'm just good with things I think.

Reactions: Mistermarks101

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
We all got plenty of sin. Of that there is no doubt. It’s the putting it out there in the faces of our kids that I have very little tolerance for. Whether it’s loud and proud or sneaky and pervasive, I don’t need to come home from a “kid friendly” movie and have to explain to my 9 year old why to two “resistance” women were kissing. They have to freedom to make whatever crappy movie they want to (TLJ was proof of that), but injecting agenda into said movie will ALWAYS make me less likely to take the 6 members of my family to spend money on it.