Star Wars |OT| General (Kenobi) Thread

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
So I finished Rebels... it was amazing.

I cannot recommend the show more. It's only 4 seasons, with 2 of those being short, so it doesn't run long in the tooth. It manages to fit in perfectly between the Prequels and the OT. It has a ton of cameos, but none of them overshadow the actual members of the team, and are not shoehorned in awkwardly.

The first two seasons and the last two seasons kind of go together, there is a time break in between which helps move the stories along.

This show has single handedly made me interested in Star Wars again after TLJ suppressed my fandom.

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
I had DVR'd them off the Disney XD channel when they had a marathon.. I have to assume they're streaming somewhere. Maybe the Disney NOW app?

Really so, so good. Just felt like 99% OT perfect for a lot of the scenes. The only complaint is that I feel they could have done a lot more with 1 hour episodes instead of 30 minutes, since that only gives them 20ish minutes of content with commercials. That being said, I felt like they got a ton accomplished in those 20 minutes.

I watched the 2nd half of the last season again with my son and it was just really really well done.

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
If its not Ewan the internets would riot me thinks.

Come to think of it.. this is an Old Man Kenobi tale AND a Young Obi-Wan Adventure tale all wrapped in one.. depending on your certain point of view..

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
Let's quote this wise dude from Rebelscum.

VideoViper;20097316 said:
unfortunately we won't be seeing some of the planned stories in development.

Obi-Wan: A Star Wars Story
Boba Fett: A Star Wars Story
Luke Skywalker picking his nose: A Star Wars Story
Space Flying Leia: A Star Wars Story
Star Trek: A Star Wars Story
Rebel Scum: A Star Wars Story
Star Wars v Marvel: A Star Wars Story
Darth Vader Master of the River Dance: A Star Wars Story
Rise of palintine: A Star Wars Story
Everybody loves Jar Jar: A Star Wars Story
Rey does Tatooine: A Star **** Story
Disney needs Money: A Star Wars Story
Disney takes your Money & leaves you on the side of the road like a dead hooker: A Star Wars Story

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
😄

It does feel like a punishment directed towards OT peeps or maybe everything is on hold because KK really is leaving in September and the want the new person to make all the decisions?
Who knows. The whole mess is hilarious. Similar to DC's movieverse. Every article that comes outs regarding it cracks me up. WTH are you guys doing??

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
I still don't see why people are going so crazy over this.

I absolutely didn't like TLJ but SOLO & the end of SW: Rebels was good Star Wars fun, and they brought JJ back for IX so I am willing to accept that maybe TLJ was a bump in the road. Someone somewhere got too many funny ideas in their head and it didn't work out. It happens, we learn to move past it. If SOLO had been trash or full of all kinds of SJW stuff or whatever.. then.. sure, you could say there is a pattern, but right now I don't see it.

I would guess the people who didn't like SOLO loved TLJ. Ideally I think the "Saga" movies would be for the SW fans and the spin off movies would be SJW-fest for 'new' fans or whatever.. but it is what it is.

Personally I'd place Rogue One and SOLO equal to the OT, maybe a little above in terms of repeated view-ability. Some of that is due to time, and the # of times I've watched the originals. I think they all gel together very well and can be taken as 1 big time-frame saga. The prequel movies are their own thing, and the sequel movies will be their own thing, but in my mind anything taking place near the OT is now just part of that timeline saga. I wanted more of that, as it's the most interesting time we've seen!

SOLO spoilers.. sorta..

I was hoping the Boba Fett and Obi-wan movie would be soft sequels to SOLO, with it exploring the gangster influences across the galaxy. You could easily have Han and Boba Fett crossing paths, Lando could easily be involved, and then work in whatever Obi Wan has been upto.. if done right it could have been an MCU style build up.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Longtime SW fans were just sending a message: "We matter more than you want to admit". Disney/Kennedy/Rian writing off the OT characters (some in insulting ways) in favor of SJW SW and telling the OT fans that they don't matter caused this. Solo might be amazing, but this is based on principal to some fans now. My personal boycott was something else entirely.

And lets not kid ourselves, TFA was packed with SJW nonsense too. Honestly, even RO (which I rank as one of the very best SW films) was SJW'd. Aside from SOLO, the lead in 3 out of 4 SW films is a woman. If SOLO hadn't been based around Han, they probably would've made the lead a woman or a non-white too. And we already know that IX is woman led. What about Rian's next three SW films? You think he won't SJW them up?

This SJW stuff may not bother some, but it most definitely DOES bother others. Others that have money and have spoken with their wallets.

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
I suppose I'm not in that hardcore hater group then.

I don't think Rogue One was SJW because there was a woman 'lead'. It was really an ensemble and honestly it would make no difference if Galen Erso had a son or daughter the way the story plays out. She's not a Mary-Sue character really in any way, she just had a shit upbringing and is tough. Kinda like Han I suppose.

I also think Rey is fine in TFA/TLJ. She's a funhouse mirror for Luke in the OT. I don't think the simple act of gender swapping is SJW, it's how its used. Leia being the leader of the Resistance in TFA makes 'Star Wars sense'. Phasma being a bad-ass female Storm Trooper COULD be approaching it, but I felt the way it was handled was fine.. and really.. why wouldn't they be enlisting female troopers at that point, and while her character was really wasted, she didn't do anything that was out of place. I can't think of anything else in TFA that would really count either. Can you elaborate?

Obviously the things in TLJ that were SJW were Holdo's complete lack of tactical sense in withholding information from Poe because he's a big bad man. And Rose knowing whats best for Finn without giving him any sense of agency and face raping him with a kiss (lol).

I do think the box office impact from Solo was a little lower due to holdouts, but I still hold that the summer release date and 5-month difference from TLJ hurt it more than any kind of internet crusade. They should have moved it to Christmas to go up against the normal Christmas fare. SW had become a holiday tradition, not a summer thing like it used to be.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Rogue One was SJW’d up? 🤔

That’s like saying Tomb Raider or any other woman lead moving is... TFA and TLJ are SJW’d because they constantly made references to it (“Stop grabbing my hand!”), but even then, JJ kept it within a tolerable limit. Rian is the one that took it over the top into man hating territory and the reason there is a backlash.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
Out of 4 star Wars films at least 2 have had Major rewrites to the point where it might have been cheaper to just make a new film.

That is a heavy burden on KK & Disney. & I do suspect a new leadership team will be announced within the next year. Disney is building a freaken Star Wars land at their parks & now is not the time to trash Star Wars.

Disney needs to regroup & figure out what makes the films "Star Wars" Disney is great at marketing to girls, but they don't seem to currently understand this is not a girl's franchise. TLJ basically announced that there was no overall plan for where Star Wars was going, so you can't blame fans for becoming uninterested.

SW EU has always been a 50/50 chance of being good, whether its comics/books/cartoons etc. The new saga faces the same issues.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I suppose I'm not in that hardcore hater group then.

I don't think Rogue One was SJW because there was a woman 'lead'. It was really an ensemble and honestly it would make no difference if Galen Erso had a son or daughter the way the story plays out. She's not a Mary-Sue character really in any way, she just had a shit upbringing and is tough. Kinda like Han I suppose.

I also think Rey is fine in TFA/TLJ. She's a funhouse mirror for Luke in the OT. I don't think the simple act of gender swapping is SJW, it's how its used. Leia being the leader of the Resistance in TFA makes 'Star Wars sense'. Phasma being a bad-ass female Storm Trooper COULD be approaching it, but I felt the way it was handled was fine.. and really.. why wouldn't they be enlisting female troopers at that point, and while her character was really wasted, she didn't do anything that was out of place. I can't think of anything else in TFA that would really count either. Can you elaborate?
We just disagree on this. We see it all differently. Everything you mentioned as not appearing to be part of an agenda, clearly looks like it is to me. And that's okay. We've never all agreed on everything around here. Though it is nice when we do.

I do think the box office impact from Solo was a little lower due to holdouts, but I still hold that the summer release date and 5-month difference from TLJ hurt it more than any kind of internet crusade. They should have moved it to Christmas to go up against the normal Christmas fare. SW had become a holiday tradition, not a summer thing like it used to be.
Marvel. That's my argument. They seem to do just fine with what, three MCU films a year now? Have any of them bombed? SW is such a big name (bigger than Marvel?) that it shouldn't matter when in the year it falls or what other movies are around it. I think SOLOs failure was more than just a boycott, but I'm not discounting that boycott either. I think lack of trust on the general audiences part was also huge. Similar to DC. You make a stinker and people get cautious.

Rogue One was SJW’d up? 🤔

That’s like saying Tomb Raider or any other woman lead moving is... TFA and TLJ are SJW’d because they constantly made references to it (“Stop grabbing my hand!”), but even then, JJ kept it within a tolerable limit. Rian is the one that took it over the top into man hating territory and the reason there is a backlash.
I'm not viewing the films or actions of characters individually. If you take them all as a whole, there's a clear woman in lead message. Especially when coupled with what the people running Lucas film are saying and even more when you view the SW films against our "men = bad, women = good" societal message. I don't recall that being rammed down our throats when awesome female led films were just awesome female led films in the past.

And SJW doesn't just mean feminist nonsense.

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
That was my biggest issue with TLJ.. and the sequel trilogy I guess.. is it ended and we're all like "okay". No good hooks for the next movie. We have like 5 resistance people vs.. whatever is left of Kylo's forces? Based on screen shown stuff.. that's a pretty tiny force. I am guessing they'll pull the "they had 500 Star Destroyers waiting in the wings! and now the First Order is REALLY COMING TO GET THE GALAXY!" or something.. but.. I dunno, it just feels disingenuous. TFA and TLJ were both really such "small" movies that you don't get the feeling of a galaxy spanning adventure like you did with the OT. Hell, TLJ takes place like 5 minutes after TFA ends (okay maybe a little longer but not much). So all of that leads people to just go "well who cares".

I fully expect JJ to come out with an amazing trailer for IX that shows some familiar stuff, cool new stuff, and gets the hype train rolling again.

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
Regarding Marvel.. so SW is 4 films in.

MCU 4 films in was: Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor.

Looking back, Iron Man was good.. and.. yeah. Others were OK but not amazing. Avengers was good, but I don't think they really got going till movie #9 (Winter Soldier).

Obviously SW has prior movies/etc so it's not a 1:1 comparison, but I think they need to let them find their legs before making rash judgement. If TLJ ends up being "The Incredible Hulk" of the SWCU.. then so be it. There is also the fact that people had been conditioned for a while for SW to be a every couple year thing.. then it became a yearly thing, then 6 months later? With IX being 18 months later.. we'll see how it does. I expect it to do better than TLJ but not as good as TFA.. which would hold with a box office performance of ANH/ESB/ROTJ, and TPM/AOTC/ROTS.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I'm not viewing the films or actions of characters individually. If you take them all as a whole, there's a clear woman in lead message. Especially when coupled with what the people running Lucas film are saying and even more when you view the SW films against our "men = bad, women = good" societal message. I don't recall that being rammed down our throats when awesome female led films were just awesome female led films in the past.

And SJW doesn't just mean feminist nonsense.
Yeah, we definitely disagree on Rogue One. I didn’t see anything in there that doesn’t fit nicely into any other sci-if box. Everyone was bad in that movie, all coming from shit backgrounds doing whatever slimy, murderous acts that were needed to get to the next day. They all find themselves in a situation to do one good thing to make a difference, hopefully redeeming all the bad deeds before dying. They all do it equally. If I had to pick the lead hero who did the most to save the day, it would be Cassian. Damn that movie is so good and now I need to watch it again.

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah, we definitely disagree on Rogue One. I didn’t see anything in there that doesn’t fit nicely into any other sci-if box. Everyone was bad in that movie, all coming from shit backgrounds doing whatever slimy, murderous acts that were needed to get to the next day. They all find themselves in a situation to do one good thing to make a difference, hopefully redeeming all the bad deeds before dying. They all do it equally. If I had to pick the lead hero who did the most to save the day, it would be Cassian. Damn that movie is so good and now I need to watch it again.
Seeing the Rebel fleet starting to flee and Darth Vaders Star Destroyer coming in and just mashing them was better than sex.

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah that seems like a big bunch of nothing right there, other than angling for clicks.

I CAN see them moving on from her.. but really.. who would want that job? Seems like it'd be more of a headache than anything else. With some segment of the fanbase always mad at you.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Hell, even Lucas didn’t want it after the Wrath of Prequel. Makes me sad so many people who would love Solo will never see it due to TLJ’s wrong turn. It’s just so fun and oozes Star Wars in every scene from the scenery to the characters to the dialog.

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
I was looking over the Solo box office yesterday, it made it over $200 million in the US! Woohoo! It really tanked worldwide. Usually Star Wars movies do over 50% of their business overseas, I think TFA was 54% and TLJ was 53% but Solo is at 42% or something, which is really low.

I can see US SJW-haters not seeing it due to the TLJ backlash, but overseas viewers aren't really impacted the same way. I assume the poor marketing and release date and movie competition did the most damage?

I hope it does gangbusters on home video.. I think it'll be a Netflix hit once people can watch it in the comfort of their own homes.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
True SW fans will see it eventually. Could you imagine if Kennedy and Johnson did get fired and then the next weekend Solo took the box office?
OMG that would've been an AWESOME ultimatum! 😄

- They say, "okay, they're fired! See the movie!"

- Strong-armers go see SOLO in droves.

- Two months later..."We re-hired them.:troll:"

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com

Extended preview for the new Star Wars tv show..

Initial thoughts.. I don't really care for the art style or the ton/voice actors... BUT.. the trailer gets better as it goes along.

It's a prequel to the sequels? I guess? Finally some backstory on how the hell things got to how they were in The Force Awakens. Really, the first half of the trailer is stupid, the 2nd half gets good with First Order stuff. Whoever they have voicing Leia does a pretty good job.

Poe Dameron and Captain Phasma both are voiced by their actual actors, which is cool. We won't have any Rey nonsense either! Wouldn't be surprised by a Finn cameo though.

I'll watch it, and it's obviously aimed at kids, so I'll enjoy it with the kids.

SJW WATCH: There's a diverse cast, an asian girl ace pilot, the main character is a(n) (evil) male.. but he appears to be some ethnicity. Lots of aliens. Nothing terribly egregious, or really much different than SW: Rebels.