Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Does jumping the tie fighter = jumping the shark? :troll:

I'll admit, that's a strong teaser....

Epic music? Check.
Beautiful visuals? Check.
The characters we all know and love? Oops. Dead (ghosts?), underdeveloped or ruined... Replaced by bad caricatures and Mary Sue... and... Old Lando and Chewy.
"Help us, JJ. You're our only hope..." Wait. You killed Han!!! :hulk:

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I know, but reasonable people can negotiate. Something would have enticed him to stick around at least a little longer and do something more significant in the conclusion trilogy.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I don't know, outside of not getting them to have a big reunion, I thought his death was done fine and made sense in the grand scheme of TFA. It SHOULD have led to a very somber reunion in TLJ between Luke/Leia/Chewie.. but we didn't really get that.

Ford is Ford.. ain't no one making that guy do something he doesn't want to.. and if you do.. you're not going to like what you get.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Wow, better man than I. Even after you said that was the Death Star, I'm still not sure what I'm seeing. uter ring of the super laser? That and the old Alderaanian medal showing up are sort of cool, I guess. Not sure which is the more egregious instance of cheap fan service: Billy Dee Williams returning as Lando, the Emperor's laugh at the end, or the fact that they're so bereft of an original idea that they had to resurrect Sheev Palpatine in some capacity at all.

I guess I'm just intractably cynical.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
9 not the real 8
Slowest tie fighter in the galaxy
Rey is apparently a Skywalker I guess
Lando looks like he could be in a wheelchair
Added black girl to match Finn might be his sister since we been guessing he was stolen from Lando since ep 7 (really a baby picture in Finn’s adult file)
Palps is alive I guess like every other EU story clone I guess don’t care
Ghost Luke maybe does something
Back on Tatooine or stand in for that planet still “not” Dune

Plus JJ copy a new hope..... I just don’t care

Also they screwed over the expensive theme park that they built

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
I don't know, outside of not getting them to have a big reunion, I thought his death was done fine and made sense in the grand scheme of TFA. It SHOULD have led to a very somber reunion in TLJ between Luke/Leia/Chewie.. but we didn't really get that.
Hamill made a good point. Two basically strangers witnessing his death held no weight. That should've been significant. Luke, Leia should've been there. We should've been nearly in tears.

Was the "Every generation has a legend" tag for TPM referring to Anikin/Vader? If so, is it again?

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Man. You guys are a tough crowd!

I disliked TLJ as much as the next person but Rebels and SOLO (and even TLJ novelization) redeemed SW enough in my eyes to go into this open minded.

The only thing missing from this is an epic space battle.. hopefully we get at least one of those in this trilogy.

JJ is the master of the twist.. so who knows what any of this actually means. My guess is Rey is a child of the force like Anakin was.

But it looks very nice and is hitting all the right tones for me so far. If they actually have an adventure this time it'll be a step up.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
True true. As for the legend thing.. I guess it was Anakin? Not really sure. Obi Wan was really the hero of the prequels.

I dont care.. the Emperor was the best part of Star Wars and now he'll be tied to all 3 trilogy's. Makes more sense than a damn Snoke. If they can find a compelling way to being him back I am all for it.

They need to go all out with fan service in this one and just close the book on a high note.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
They need to go all out with fan service in this one and just close the book on a high note.
They screwed that possibility right in the donkey by going all SJW and killing off the biggest heroes of the OT we all loved because "We don't need no evil white men to save us! Chicks and brown people will be the ultimate heroes by the close of this saga!"

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I'll laugh if Kylo ends up turning good and saving everyone after all. White men ruining it again! He's really the only one huh.. besides Hux and I guess C-3P0.

As for the panel.. after the trailer reveal they cut immediately to this.. and played it again. As a long ass time SW fan.. it was awesome.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I’m warming to Kylo a little (or maybe just cooling to absolutely everybody else), but that boy’s got some serious luggage and red in his ledger to ever be legit redeemed.
I’ve always liked Kylo. People hated him for being a sniveling bitch, but go back and watch Luke in A New Hope and Empire or Vader in Ep 2&3. All males in that family are spoiled little entitled brats.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yeah, but Kylo and Anakin were sniveling, emo bitch-whiny. That's the problem, Anakin's story falls far short of being some Shapesperean tragedy and reveals that there was, despite the assertions to the contrary, no deep lore outside of episodes 4-6. It was all shit Lucas pulled out of his ass when he decided to get off the massive thing and make the prequels. Kylo's is an even less-compelling fall to the dark side. Planet of Twilight is more compelling.

Yes, I'm still anally-annihilated by Luke's treatment in the sequels.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
To be fair, emo didn’t exist in the 70’s and early 80’s, so I have to imagine Luke was that’s era’s version of bitch. It annoys me almost as much as Anakin when I go back and watch. “But I was going to Toshi station to get some power converters”...

I actually like Kylo’s outbursts the best of the 3 since they are destructive and humorous (imagine your 16yr old self with a lightsaber when your mom says you can’t go to the party), but his self pity loathing emo scenes make me want to choke him. He was better in TLJ, but the shit show surrounding him robbed him of any glory. I bet Kylo is the villain we all want once he hooks up with the knights of Ren and starts laying waste to populations. I’m sure it helps that I enjoy Adam Driver as an actor in other things (he was the only reason I survived watching Girls with the wife).

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I've watched the trailer a few times and I've got to be honest, it's boring. If it wasn't for Lando or Emperor, I'd just think it was a trailer for TFA or TLJ. The bad taste TLJ put in fans mouths, they need MUCH more to get fans excited...if they even care about fans anymore. Honestly, I don't think that they do.

The best scene in the trailer is the half of a second we see of C3PO on that skiff. Reminds me of the RoTJ Tatooine scene.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
  • NSA

NSA

Of all the SW stuff.. TLJ was the aberration so I'm treating it as such. If this new one somehow is as bad, then sure, fuck Star Wars.. but it's kind of childish to hate on something for one mistake in 40+ years. Sure the prequels were so so. But people think fondly of them now! I'll be happy with an entertaining movie.. something JJ has never let me down on before.