Star Wars |OT| General (Kenobi) Thread

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Trying to not be negative, but this news has been eating at me since you posted that. She really has no sci-fi experience and feels like a diversity for the same of it “the force is female” hire. Hate that we have to wait for the Mandalorian before we can rest easy.

Yes I’m totally being over dramatic, but it’s mother ducking Ewanwan Kenobie and we had to beg for that to happen and now it’s in threat again.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I would guess the Mandalorian is all but finished already, so they likely saw what they liked already.. and if she's already familiar with the Disney+ system.. it's probably a plus.

I never saw it before, but this was the blurb on the Mandalorian:

The series will be written and executive produced by Emmy-nominated producer and actor Jon Favreau, as previously announced, with Dave Filoni (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels) directing the first episode. Additional episodic directors include Deborah Chow (Jessica Jones), Rick Famuyiwa (Dope), Bryce Dallas Howard (Solemates), and Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok). It will be executive produced by Jon Favreau, Dave Filoni, Kathleen Kennedy, and Colin Wilson. Karen Gilchrist will serve as co-executive producer.
I didn't realize they got so many high profile people to direct episodes. Also interesting that the Obi-wan series will all be 1 director. I guess the Mandalorian will be more of a show and the Obi-wan one will be more of a long form movie? Like the MCU ones.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Saw the new RoS trailer... Looks pretty good. But... visuals and call backs do not a great movie make. I’m crossing my fingers that RoS > TFA > TLJ. I want to like Star Wars again.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
I thought the trailer was just mostly fan service with no real substance (ok all the Star Wars trailers are like that) I just felt more like a cash grab.
Rey’s evil but not really
Kylo’s Good because we didn’t see that coming from ep 7
New cast plays second fiddle to not dead original cast & dead guy’s hat.
C3PO will die because killing off OT characters has really worked so far.
Carrie is in it but not really because it’s cut footage from the one everybody hates.
Brings back a dead guy because cash grab.

At this point i’d Rather do a Dune rip off & have Luke the unquestioned supreme Emperor of the Galaxy. (Dune spoiler)

So unless Mickey Mouse strikes down Kyle Ren himself I really don’t have high hopes for this.

But the guy from Lost will be addressing the answers that the movies.... awe fuck i can’t even say that with a straight face.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I'm already on the 6 months Netflix / 6 months HBO Go train. Not paying for all of them all the time and I could care less if I'm not watching most shows as they air. $8 Disney+ is a no brainer and I'll get AppleTV free for a year since I bought an Iphone (and I bet they have that deal every year). Amazon is free with Prime. Life is good.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I got the 3 years for like.. $120 or whatever it was. Maybe it was $140. But it came out to like $3.5 a month or something for the 3 years. I couldn't say no to that.

I keep Netflix right now for the kids, as they can watch a ton of kids stuff.. once Disney+ is out and working I'll likely cancel Netflix and only do it on a month basis when something good comes out. It's gotten stupid expensive too. Like $15.99 a month for the 4K version.

I need to cancel HBO too, we rarely watch anything on there anymore.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
  • NSA

NSA

Cool video.. a little long, but actually has some good info on how they've made the trailers. Covers Rogue One & SOLO at the end.. is interesting that SOLO didn't follow the trailer formula they used with literally all the other movies.

Wonder if they just sent it out to die knowing it'd do bad.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
  • NSA

NSA

Disney+ is amazing. Just amazing, already. ALL the Star Wars movies in 4K HDR.. Pirates movies in 4K HDR! All the damn Disney movies.. if you have kids it's a no brainer. So much classic Disney goodness from my youth. MR BOOGEDY!

Watched the first episode of the Mandalorian.. it was pretty good. Starts a little slow/weird, but gets better. There was one scene that had me literally laughing out loud.

The ending!

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
  • NSA

NSA

Guess I should have said it's not really a spoiler, but more of a leak on the difficulties they have faced with the test screenings this year. Sounds like a goddamn mess, but Solo went thru the same and I love that movie.
I read an article that talked about the same stuff.. seems plausible, though I wonder if that was true we'd have gotten a ton of more leaks. People can't keep their mouth shut if they really show it to "random people".

I don't know if a Lucas version sounds better or worse to me.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
They said Solo was a shit show too, but it was a generally good movie. But I’d understand not liking it on the heals of TLJ.

I said I’m not seeing this the 1st weekend it’s just bad fan fiction at this point same reason I stopped with the EU. Hard to tell what would be good & what would be crap.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I don't know if a Lucas version sounds better or worse to me.
The original sounded the best until he said the audience scored it a 4. It must have happened in a ridiculous way. At this point I just hope it's decent (I've never not enjoyed a JJ Abrams movie), it honors the last 30yrs (like Endgame did) and most importantly, it ends the saga once and for all with no chance of future Skywalkers to further degrade what was such an important part of our youths.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The first episode of The Mandalorian didn't suck, which is surprising.
Youtube recommended this to me and for some crazy reason it sounds legit.

Doomcock is hilarious. I want to believe this stuff, but even if it were true the masses are still gonna have IX up over a billion dollars.

Say "Nein" to Nine.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
  • NSA

NSA

The first episode of The Mandalorian didn't suck, which is surprising.

Doomcock is hilarious. I want to believe this stuff, but even if it were true the masses are still gonna have IX up over a billion dollars.

Say "Nein" to Nine.
The Mandalorian was very okay, borderline good. It sets up to be an interesting tale. I like that aspect of the SW Universe too.. It seemed to fly by too. Will be interesting to see how the different directors tackle the episodes too. Taika Waititi (IG-11) is even directing the last episode I believe.

IX will be successful, of course, but Star Wars is never going to challenge Marvel, maybe ever again. SW just is not super popular overseas. It's a US property, and we're the ones with the nostalgia. It will be interesting if they work to pander the new series (whatever it is) to international audiences. It's funny because the MCU really didn't previously, and they still ended up uber successful.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Taika has quite the range. From directing Marvel movies to making children nazis and now playing an assassin droid? Most impressive.

There is no way the masses will not flood the million showings of Nein on opening weekend, but I’m really curious how much it drops over the 2nd week once real reviews (do those exist anymore?) get out. No amount of bad reviews will stop the parents of little kids or those that have seen the other 8 and just want to ride it to the finish line.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The Mandalorian was very okay, borderline good. It sets up to be an interesting tale. I like that aspect of the SW Universe too.. It seemed to fly by too. Will be interesting to see how the different directors tackle the episodes too. Taika Waititi (IG-11) is even directing the last episode I believe.

IX will be successful, of course, but Star Wars is never going to challenge Marvel, maybe ever again. SW just is not super popular overseas. It's a US property, and we're the ones with the nostalgia. It will be interesting if they work to pander the new series (whatever it is) to international audiences. It's funny because the MCU really didn't previously, and they still ended up uber successful.
I think the current Star Wars trilogy could have been so much more, especially if Kathleen Kennedy's agenda had been checked, and if someone, ANYONE, had bothered to take the time to come up with an overarching story. That's where the MCU really excelled. They took the time to map shit out. I can't speak to whether Kathleen Kennedy is a fucking hack who rode the coattails of infinitely more talented men or not, but I sure as fuck can say that George Lucas was sorely, sorely mistaken in his faith in her.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
  • NSA

NSA

Yeah, I don't know enough to really pin it down. SOMEONE dropped the ball, big time.

TLJ somehow works to UNDO all the important build up from TFA. All of the stuff you invested in TFA was basically thrown out with TLJ and it just makes no sense.

It will be really interesting to see how TLJ is seen in a post-TROS world. It's possible they can make a good movie that somehow retroactively makes TLJ better (or maybe they retcon it out), but we'll see.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
It will be really interesting to see how TLJ is seen in a post-TROS world. It's possible they can make a good movie that somehow retroactively makes TLJ better (or maybe they retcon it out), but we'll see.
That’s what Ep 3 did for the first two, so I guess there is some hope.

I liked the Mandalorian and am glad it sits in the time gap we all wanted to see. The only thing annoying about it is the music. They really pump it up to make you feel a sense of importance during the gun fights and such, but it all falls flat. It’s not needed. The action is way slower than the music tries to make it.