Star Wars |OT| General (Kenobi) Thread

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I just remember 3 times where the music tried to add emphasis to what was going on and it really missed the mark. Felt like during one of the screenings they were told it was boring (by people who wanted an action movie) so they amped up the music to make it exciting. Or maybe it's just so 4yr olds will know what the director deems important. Anyways, I prefer the slow burn that this show obviously is and would prefer a more subtle score to match the pace. The only fast paced action was on the ice since the gunfights are deliberately shot like a western.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Great googley moogley! Episode 2 is live and it was good!

Short, like 30 minutes short, but well paced, and feels very Star Wars/Western.

I thought the music was good, it's very Western. It's not super Star Wars-y but it's also not super related to any existing SW stuff so not sure the themes would fit yet.

Will be interesting to see where this thread goes and if it will have any impact on TROS.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Got D+ via Roku last night and downloaded the two episodes of The Mand and the first season of Clone Wars for an upcoming trip. Trying hard to recapture the SW bug.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Got D+ via Roku last night and downloaded the two episodes of The Mand and the first season of Clone Wars for an upcoming trip. Trying hard to recapture the SW bug.
Mando is Rogue Squadron world stretched out into a miniseries. Attention to detail of the world is high. Mando is a bad ass space cowboy man who does things the way he wants, so of course all the hipsters are going to hate it.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
How much for the OT disks? :p

So I watched The Mandalorian eps. 1 & 2 on one of my flights w/o it’s own entertainment. It was glorious! Full of OT goodness and actual characters (not like the sequels). I can’t wait for more!

Also started watching The Clone Wars. Not nearly as awesome, but entertaining enough when you have few other options. Really makes me understand why SW characters all seem to hate/disdain droids. Those “battle” (fodder) droids are beyond annoying. Still trying to decide if I like the animation or not.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
I don't know if you can find in wide screen though. I think I'm going to hold onto these though. I just thought back then there would always be the option. Especially factoring in how many versions of Blade Runner are floating around.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I dug up my DVDs to check.
The trilogy I’ve got on DVD I believe was the limited edition that came out right after the last special edition was released on DVD.

It claims the second disks of these sets have the original theatrical versions.
I think I have this set too.. it was a Best Buy exclusive I think. Mine came in a metal tin.

It has the theatrical version of ANH, ESB, and ROTJ.. HOWEVER.. it is like.. the crappiest quality ever. Whoever got them to agree to include them got the shittest copies in existence. I feel like they're widescreen but not really, artifacts everywhere.. BUT Han shoots first! I do want to sit down and watch them sometime, quality isn't exactly super important in this case I guess, pristine film prints would be nice.. but oh well.

Also.. I watched ANH (2019) on Disney+ last night, it's a new cut (MAKLUNKEY!), but with 4K and HDR and.. whew, lads. Parts of this movie look AMAZING in 4K/HRD. You can see so much detail on the droids, costumes, etc. Some of the lighting is awesome too. I think it might make the crappy "Special Edition" CGI look even worse though.

I am showing my 6 year old the mainline movies for the first time. I thought about starting with Rogue One, to lead into ANH.. but.. it's kind of a dark spot to start with. I think I'll do 4-6, 1-3, Rogue One.. then maybe the new ones if we ever get to them. SOLO was actually the first one we watched together, and he liked it. He's seen some of the Disney cartoons already.

I had kind of forgotten what a good/fun movie ANH is.. just well paced, well acted (especially considering the mumbo jumbo they were saying had no bearings in anything at the time), and you know.. all of the other content that has come out (Solo, Rogue One, cartoons, etc) really helped color ANH without changing the tone or anything else. Like now, watching it, I have backstory to Obi-Wan on Tattooine, the Death Star stuff from Rogue One.. random aliens you see in the bar/etc.. but it just makes it feel like part of a larger world. I suppose it's the best part about Star Wars (and what is missing the most from the Sequel Trilogy).

Also.. watched Episode 1 & 2 of the Mandalorian again over the weekend (what prompted watching ANH), and yeah it's good. I like that the Mando isn't a full on superhero.. he's just a dude..

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Also.. watched Episode 1 & 2 of the Mandalorian again over the weekend (what prompted watching ANH), and yeah it's good. I like that the Mando isn't a full on superhero.. he's just a dude..
Exactly. Skilled, proficient, but still gets shot and makes mistakes and learns. So much better than the characters of the sequel movies thus far. It’s almost as if he were being brought to life by some of the talent that brought us the best of Marvel... oh, wait...

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
Exactly. Skilled, proficient, but still gets shot and makes mistakes and learns. So much better than the characters of the sequel movies thus far. It’s almost as if he were being brought to life by some of the talent that brought us the best of Marvel... oh, wait...
This is definitely a bright spot.

In other news, Ep 9 sounds like an absolute disaster. They keep saying the reshoots aren't as bad as Solo's but I don't remember Solo within the last month before opening, drifting from 3-6 possible endings and major characters being gutted from the film.

I'm glad I committed to not seeing it until I'm bored and it's on TNT.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I feel (and hope) that a lot of this Episode 9 talk is just the rumor mill trying to generate headlines since nothing concrete is known. It could all be 100% accurate.. but some of the stuff seems like it's written just to get clicks, since everyone is at "max hype" (whatever that is these days).

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I watched it at my desk.. lol. I've had it running 3 or 4 times in the background since.

It feels VERY PULP SCI-FI in the way the original movie did.. and it has some cool SW references.

I liked it. Hope the quality continues and the other shows are as good..

Really curious how the Cassian show will be, since obviously it takes place before Rogue One. Has to be the gritter side of the rebels..

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I agree it was good. The series is really ramping up now.

Cassian is my favorite character outside of A New Hope, so I hope they do him justice. Shouldn’t be too hard since his part was so recent and his participation in the VR thing I did was of high quality.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Cassian will be interesting, because his turn from asshole to good guy is one of the good parts of rogue one. If they make him a nice guy in the show it kind of ruins that. Maybe he was a nice guy and gets fucked over so it turns him mean? So rogue one is him redeeming himself maybe?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
This weeks Mandalorian was fucking fantastic!

The director of this episode was Deborah Chow,, who is in charge of the Obi-wan series too.
It was pretty dope. About the only thing I wasn't feeling was the Mandalorian jetpack cavalry, it looked a little too much like they were on wires. They are on a budget, so I got to let it slide.