Star Wars |OT| General (Kenobi) Thread

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Poor baby Yoda, denied the life of a simple krill farmer. I kind of rolled my eyes at them shitting their pants over an AT-ST. A bunch of 3' teddy bears killed 3 or 4 of those fuckers with logs. It also would have been simpler to ninja your ass over to it in the camp, then climb the bitch and set the charge on it. Still, I am entertained.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
So did I hear it right that "The Mandalorian" was actually a child found by the real Mandolorians and simply "adopted" by them? Not that it matter I suppose.

And I was surprised in the last episode that ALL the Madolorians came to his aid after they made such a big deal about "hiding their numbers being their strength".

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yes, that's how I took it, and was also a little surprised when the cavalry arrived. I suppose it illustrates that they are more loyal to each other than they are concerned about hiding their strength. Maybe something to do with the empire no longer being a direct threat?

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah, from the flashbacks, he was on some planet where the DROID ARMY was attacking and killing everyone, and "SOMEONE" swooped in to rescue him (not yet revealed). He was then raised by the Mandalorians as his family was killed.. so he's a "Foundling" I suppose, which must be someone they found and raise. I suppose that makes baby Yoda a foundling too? Will be interesting to see how it is who found him.. maybe someone from one of the cartoons.. as they featured a lot of Mandalorians before the OT.

This last episode featured a Lothcat.. from Rebels.. I thought that was a cool little cameo.

I liked that the AT-ST was a threat.. as being on a bumfuck planet with no real weapons.. it would be pretty unstoppable. Ewoks not withstanding.. clearly they were a higher race of beings than SpaceKrill farmers.

I felt like this last episode was a perfect filler episode.. and felt like an episode of StarWars: SG1 if I'm being honest.. which is fine, and is actually more in line with what I thought we'd be getting with the show. Ep 1-3 felt like a very cool arc that was almost movie like.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
The Mandalorian is totally taking the Star Trek approach to episode writing. First we had the cowboy planet and then Ep 4 moved to the knights in shining armor renaissance planet.
I do feel like SW has always been that way "Desert Planet, Snow Planet, Swamp Planet, Forest Planet" now we're just getting the character archetypes to go along with it :)

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
It has, they just never had to have so many new humanoid societies queued up as required by a planet hopping tv show. They are all guilty of tapping into humanity's past for their alien cultures.

Also, the Mando's did mention that now they would have to move after revealing their numbers.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I like that we're seeing the COOL post-OT time.. when Empire remnants are still around, recognizable tech/characters/etc is still around.. and actually seeing what impact the fall of the Empire had. The ST movies.. it's been so long, there is like nothing recognizable.. it really made the whole OT feel SUPER inconsequential.. which is one of my main dislikes about the new movies.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
Given the timeline. Given the “Purge”. Given the fact Boba Fett isn’t accepted as a true Mandalorian and his ties to the Empire, I wonder if they’ll bring him back in a flashback as the savior. It will allow them to have Fett in something while not saving him from the Sarlacc Pitt later on. Him being the one to save Mando by blasting the droid, mirrors him saving Baby Yoda, and probably mirrors Mando’s complicated relationship with the other Mandalorians.

After that. Seal Boba Fett in the vault and never let him out

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
  • NSA

NSA

Some of those are really good! I think, personally, I'd wait for at least this season to be over before committing to that. Watch they just send him off somewhere and we never see him again.

That being said, Baby Yoda is just about the most iconic thing to come from Star Wars since the OT I think, which is impressive. The PT for sure. So, it's better than getting a Rey or Kylo Ren or Rose tattoo (which I am sure exist).

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
  • NSA

NSA

Episode 5 IS ALIVE!

It was okay. Some cool throw backs to the OT/etc. Nothing super amazeballs, but Baby Yoda is still cute as hell.

30 minute episodes are hard, you can't really do a deep dive into anything, but they're still making it entertaining. It'll probably be fun to binge the whole thing when it's done, as it seems like it'll only be like 4-5 hours maybe?

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yeah, I watched one of those today too. I was pretty impressed, except for the obese First Order guys and the fanboys squealing throughout the one I watched. Pretty amazing stuff!

I'm hoping by the next time we make it down there (whenever that is) this and the Avatar ride are stale enough to be accessible. No way I wait 2+ hours (Fast Passes used up by the Disney resort occupants) for any ride, no matter how cool it looks. Tron coaster and Guardians ride should also be open by then. Figures all of the Disney parks are getting upgraded while I'm getting too old to enjoy them and my kids are growing out of them... :p

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
  • NSA

NSA

I just want to walk around in the AT-AT room on that ride. :eek:

Speaking of AT-ATs...
'Rise Of Skywalker' To Introduce First Lesbian AT-AT
Ha!!

Now that IS scary...

Episode 5

Please don’t be Boba, please don’t be Boba, please don’t be Boba
I think I'd be ok with it, at least it'd make some sense.

1,000,000 bonus points if they got him to come back.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
I know. I just want to believe he really wasn’t superhuman and died in the pit. There’s something about the Sarlacc being undefeated that I hope for. I wish franchises would just create better characters than to keep going back to the originals. That’s why I was okay with Fett being in a flashback.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
  • NSA

NSA

It'd be a nice twist if it was his armor but not him, maybe the sarlacc spit out the Beskar.. that doesn't seem digestible maybe. I'd be fine either way, but if it is him, they better bring back the Jango actor, otherwise I riot.

I still wonder who the rescuer is. I dont think it should be Boba Fett as he'd be too young, Jango... doesn't seem like something he'd be doing either at the time. A de-aged Anakin & Obi-Wan? A little too on-the-nose, but if they got them to reprise their role for a cameo I'd shit myself.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Episode 5 IS ALIVE!

It was okay. Some cool throw backs to the OT/etc. Nothing super amazeballs, but Baby Yoda is still cute as hell.

30 minute episodes are hard, you can't really do a deep dive into anything, but they're still making it entertaining. It'll probably be fun to binge the whole thing when it's done, as it seems like it'll only be like 4-5 hours maybe?
I was surprisingly happy with the throwbacks, even the pit droids. I believe it's 8 episodes, so ~4 hours. It's entertaining enough that I'm slightly vexed when the episode ends. Certainly the best Star Wars media in a long time, even if the bar is laughably low.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Ep. 5 was certainly fun! All of them have been very good and rewatchable. My whole family is into The Mando, for different reasons. I love the show for Mando and the sheer quality of it. My wife and younger daughters, Baby Yoda of course.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Everyone hearts baby Yoda. Disney really fucked the dog not having that little shit merchandised to the gills for Christmas '19.

On the plus side of merchandising, I've yet to see BS Mando. I've see Cara Dune a couple of times, but the Mando-based stuff seems to move.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
  • NSA

NSA

I was surprisingly happy with the throwbacks, even the pit droids. I believe it's 8 episodes, so ~4 hours. It's entertaining enough that I'm slightly vexed when the episode ends. Certainly the best Star Wars media in a long time, even if the bar is laughably low.
Yeah, it took me a minute to realize where they were, and the Cantina felt a bit emptier than I'd of liked, but overall the throwbacks were golden. I appreciate that they can do them in a way that doesn't feel IN YOUR FACE, and yet is right there, in your face. The show just seamlessly seems to exist in a post-OT universe without having to explain itself, which is what I think we all wanted from the sequel trilogy.

Episode 5 was the first one that felt lacking. Way to short too develop any story and so it felt like television.
I do think the 30 minute episodes is a bummer, though it does always leave you wanting more, which I guess is a good thing? They certainly don't overstay their welcome. It'll be interesting to see how the Obi-wan show goes, since those are all supposed to be an hour long.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
  • NSA

NSA

It wasn’t long enough to develop the characters introduced. Didn’t even explain who the dude shooting at them was.

Was that Han’s booth that the bounty hunter was sitting in?
I mean, not 100% sure, but it was framed just the same way. I'll have to watch again to see if there is a blaster mark on the wall from when Greedo shot first second whatever

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
I wonder if the Cantina being empty was kind of showing what happens when the Empire is no longer around. Like Mos Eisley is where everyone hung out because there wasn't a huge Empire presence and now since their gone, they lost their core customer base.