Syria

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Just when you think you got Syria figured out a short movie like this comes along. Made by a journalist/Freedom fighter I co-respond with and recently have gotten into heated debates over whether there is a sane opposition he released this.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RA8Hsf...top_uri=/watch?v=RA8HsfRioWE&feature=youtu.be

This place is a real mess.

That video certainly packs a punch. What is worse, seeing the people suffering or knowing our cities could look like that in just a matter of months if the fuse is ever lit?

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Just when you think you got Syria figured out a short movie like this comes along. Made by a journalist/Freedom fighter I co-respond with and recently have gotten into heated debates over whether there is a sane opposition he released this.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RA8Hsf...top_uri=/watch?v=RA8HsfRioWE&feature=youtu.be

This place is a real mess.
It was a compelling piece. However, it tells the story from only one of three points of view. I have no doubt the original FSA people had a serious beef with the government there (though I saw no open evidence of oppression while visiting - heck, less than other places), but you have to wonder what they envision to replace that government, which is just like every other government in the Middle East.

Another point would be to hear from the pro-government side. There are plenty of videos showing soldiers being beheaded or gunned down on their knees, unarmed as well. And, while tragic, abuses happen in war, particularly when the hatred is so strong between the factions.

Third would be the pov of the (Al Qaida backed) rebels. What do they see as the outcome if they do win? What kind of laws would they set up? You think that girl would be happy being forced to wear her burka all day every day or be killed as a heretic?

This is a huge mess. Heck, the whole Middle East is in the same boat. The only thing keeping places like Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Yemen, Jordan, Lebanon, Pakistan and others from going the same route is (some would say too) powerful [totalitarian] governments. Any spark, and the whole ME could blow up.

We do not want to be there any more than we want to go back to Iraq again. There is no win in this for us.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I did like the end, I will support the cat :)

And yeah, I can understand the call for freedom.. but like you said, what form does that take? Freedom for Sharia law? For religious extremists?

I think all these 'freedom' movements in the Middle East are being co-opted by other causes. It's one of the main reasons I can't back anyone over there.

Egypt was the model of totalitarian stability for years and years. Was it GOOD for the people? Probably not, but it had to be better than it is now.

There is just something fundamentally wrong with 'those people' over there, and their desire for 'freedom'. I am guessing its tied to their religion? I am not really sure. Every time they do work towards ending these regimes.. they replace them with something even worse. It's like they're too uncilvilized to be 'trusted' with Democracy.

On the other hand, look at the US and the rest of the West, holding ourselves as shining examples of what to do.. and we have plenty of issues of our own.

I still firmly feel that unless we plan to go in as conquerors we should stay the hell out.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I think the only country capable of truly "conquering" another significant nation is China, because they are the only ones to have enough fodder to spend. We can occupy and crush pockets of opposition, but "conquering" would require more carnage than we are remotely comfortable with.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Oh, yeah. For sure. We are not in that business anymore, sadly sometimes!

I think we could have 'conquered' Iraq if we'd wanted to. Hell, the private companies sure made a pretty penny off of it. I just wish we'd of sent barrels and barrels of free oil back to the US Taxpayer.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I still firmly feel that unless we plan to go in as conquerors we should stay the hell out.
The only way to do that is genocide, and we stopped doing that after we exterminated our own indigenous population. Besides, have you seen our RoE post-Korea?

We need to stop our interventionist busy-bodying around the world in general and Southwest Asia in particular. Democracy is an alien concept to the lion's share of its inhabitants.

The gal in the video is cute, and I empathize with her, but I think she's naïve if she believes anyone but fundamentalist extremists will snatch the reigns of power from Assad. Worst of all they'll do it through the edifice of "democratic" elections.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2013
Colorado
When it comes to Syria, I think we're just "flexing our muscles" at the moment. Their is no way in hell we get involved with Syria, our forces are spread out way too thin already.

On the other hand I take comfort in the fact that I'm out and did my time. I get to sit out of this one if anything does happen, but I'm sure nothing will.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Assad is on the cusp of victory and we are withdrawing. Who benefits from the optics of a chemical attack on "civillians"? Sure as fuck isn't Bashir al-Assad. I'm sure you've seen Molyneux's latest video, Eddie?

I won't go with it being one of (((their))) false flags, but it doesn't smell right.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Re: Eddie's linked article. If I had a single clue about who John McCain really was I would have simply sat out the 2008 election. Can you believe I am actually thankful he lost. We wouldn't have had Obamacare, but might have ended up with WWIII.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yeah, it's like the warmongering deep staters aren't even trying to present a case any longer. "[Even though it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever] Everybody knows Assad did it... because he's a bad man..." :whatever:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yup, Pence is taking his place in South America. Christ, I hope Syria isn't going to be the 21st Century's Serbia.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Definitely not excited about this, especially considering where I and other family members are due to be over the next couple weeks... C'mon, Mr. President. Be smarter than this...

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Wonder how much his change of attitude has to do with his lawyer being raided. Hope he doesn’t start a shooting war just to Wag the Dog. He has to know a nuke could go off anywhere in the world and the MSM would still devote 80% of their time attacking him for personal issues.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah, I get the feeling their proxie war with Iran combined with ours is just training. Combine that with us arming them to the teeth and the lines become pretty clear. Turkey is definitely on their side if the hot war ever starts up. Tired of it.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Dude needs to chill on the instant emotional response and just wait for actual evidence before diarrhea of the twitter, let alone actual military action. Hopefully, Mad Dog will pull him aside and tell him to stop being such a reactive beeotch on this stuff...