"The Americans" on FX

Psycho Joe Guy

Enlisted
Mar 5, 2013
Anyone here watching this series? It's a REALLY good look into Cold War espionage with some stellar acting and an interesting view of the US in the early 80's. It's way more substantive than I expected and one of the executive producers, Graham Yost, also happens to have the same name of the author of a number of books in the 80's about spying and the KGB. (AFAIK, they're not the same person.) IMO, it's the best show on TV right now.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
I see the commercials all the time watching fights. Haven't actually watched the show. It looks interesting.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Like Monkey, I see the adverts (during Justified), but haven't been moved to watch it.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
The teasers before the show even started had me interested...but the more I saw of it, the more it looked like a boring drama...tell me I'm wrong so I can start checking it out...

YT1

NO LONGER A MEMBER
Mar 15, 2011
Your wrong, it's good and Kerri Russell is a hotty.

Psycho Joe Guy

Enlisted
Mar 5, 2013
The teasers before the show even started had me interested...but the more I saw of it, the more it looked like a boring drama...tell me I'm wrong so I can start checking it out...

There's drama, but not bad TV drama: they do an excellent job of capturing Cold War paranoia on BOTH sides and there is bunch of sex, but it has never once felt like it was shoehorned in for ratings. The sex they do show gets points for being very realistic- no mood lighting or soft focus and fake romantic complications. Everything is tied to something else.

I love it so much, I'm afraid it'll get cancelled because it's literally TOO good for most American TV diets. Keri Russell is awesome and cold without being a stereotypical badguy or damsel in distress, but THE star is Matthew Rhys. To quote David Allen Coe, 'the boy can make folks feel what he feels inside.' It's better than Dexter at its peak and on par with Rome for sheer realism.