The Compound W.I.P.

TIE_FighterTK069

Enlisted
Oct 20, 2014
Back in Tucson, AZ!
So, it started with a two-building façade, my first diorama, and has grown into a complete scene plan.
Figure I could share my noob process with y'all and get some input or just crack some jokes during the work.

I'm a huge apocalyptic fan, always have been. So, the compound is "set" in a post-collapse city inspired by the rust belt and 80's Brooklyn ala Street Trash. Cobra won, but is struggling to maintain control in a world without fuel, or a usable grid. At least that's the inspiration.

Should be good for all kinds of shenanigans, though.
Approximately 5'2" long, 2'2" wide, and probably 2'2" high... Just a rough estimate right now, but space is somewhat limited.

Here is the plan, and some close shots of the first facades.

Last edited:

TIE_FighterTK069

Enlisted
Oct 20, 2014
Back in Tucson, AZ!
Thanks, Eddie.

So, I made some cuts and mocked everything up this morning. It is big, and I think the layout is going to work. I do wish I had more room to allow for more interior space, but I'll have enough to set up dude in the windows and whatnot for shoots.

The whole layout ended up being 40" long, 22" wide, and the flop house roof brings it up to 27" high. I'm itching to start the detailing, but damn it is nice outside. But with my fiancee off doing costumes today, I may just turn up the music and work on this... She found something perfect for my fencing at the thrift store last night. knowing I was on the lookout for something that would work as scale chain link, she picked up two desk, or maybe drawer organizers. F'ing perfect, by my eye, for security fence. What do y'all think?

Here are the mock up shots:

Cheers!

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Wow that's big! In a good way!

That "fencing" looks good...I've seen some trash bins and other things for office use made out of a material that would also make good fencing, at Target.

TIE_FighterTK069

Enlisted
Oct 20, 2014
Back in Tucson, AZ!
Wow that's big! In a good way!

That "fencing" looks good...I've seen some trash bins and other things for office use made out of a material that would also make good fencing, at Target.

Yea, I think it is made by Rubbermaid. Although this shit only cost $2 at the thrift :)

Here are some more updates for y'all!
I spent some time tonight trying to sort out the hotel, and decided to add a bit to the roof of the liquor store. Did some painting on the overlook, back wall, and some of the bits and pieces. I'm happy with this layout, so it'll stay like this as I continue working on it. I feel like there is a ton to do, but I'm happy with the progress.

Time for a beer.

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
Looking good. Lots of progress. Leave the jacked up look on the bricks, gives it character. The real world has mistakes everywhere. I didn't even notice it.

Your gonna get many photo ops out of this.

TIE_FighterTK069

Enlisted
Oct 20, 2014
Back in Tucson, AZ!
Fair play man this is looking really good! are you going to expand on it? maybe make a small town?

Thanks! I would love to expand on it, but don't have the room for anything more than this right now. Eventually, it'll expand. I could see a level below the street, and a few blocks of urban decay surrounding this, and maybe some overgrown waterfront. My fiancée wants to get in on the expansion as well, which could be a cool joint project. She has some cool ideas about the sewage system and a giant bridge...
If only we had the room!

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Looking good. Lots of progress. Leave the jacked up look on the bricks, gives it character. The real world has mistakes everywhere. I didn't even notice it.

Your gonna get many photo ops out of this.

This ^^

Also, you're fiancé wants in on the project?! She sounds like a keeper...or a dude. :D

TIE_FighterTK069

Enlisted
Oct 20, 2014
Back in Tucson, AZ!
This ^^

Also, you're fiancé wants in on the project?! She sounds like a keeper...or a dude. :D

Hahahahaha! Yea, definitely a keeper and she has always been a woman. Definitely not a dude.
She's a costume and prop designer though, and lives for this kind of shit. Mad skills, too, so her sections will make mine look like shit... Good job I'm getting some practice in!

TIE_FighterTK069

Enlisted
Oct 20, 2014
Back in Tucson, AZ!
Jesus! That thing looks amazing!

Right on, man, thanks!
I appreciate all the feedback, this being my first diorama and all.

So I posted specs on the dumpsters and shipping container I'm going to make, and then I made my patterns. I'll scan them and post them too so anyone can print them who wants them. Well, except the shipping container, as that is too big.
Anyway, I started the small, 2 yard dumpster this evening after work:

I just need to add the lid rims and scrim it, then it'll be ready for paint.

TIE_FighterTK069

Enlisted
Oct 20, 2014
Back in Tucson, AZ!
That came out really nicely. Really thin foam?

Thanks, man!
It's made of basswood. The rims for the lids are card stock, and the hinges are just some wire. Then I put a scrim coat of glue and tissue paper on it (same as the hotel facade) for texture. The hinges suck, but since I have no idea what the hell I'm going to do with this (just built it to build it, turns out, since there is no room in The Compound for it) I'm not concerned.

The shipping container is really what I'm stoked about building! That'll be part of The Compound's barrier wall.

kt174

Assaulter
Oct 20, 2013
Carolinas
Those are some great looking buildings. Wish I had your skills. Really like how you made the fence and dumpster. Keep up the impressive work.

Last edited:

TIE_FighterTK069

Enlisted
Oct 20, 2014
Back in Tucson, AZ!
Those are some great looking buildings. Wish I had your skills. Really like how you made the fence and dumpster. Keep up the impressive work.

Thanks! I'm learning as I go, and taking my time, that's all. Cheers, man!

It sure does, you make one, put it in tutorial thread, and I will front page it!

Roger that, Meddatron. I'll see about getting one done this weekend. Cheers!

TIE_FighterTK069

Enlisted
Oct 20, 2014
Back in Tucson, AZ!
Well, I spent a bit of "spare" time today working on the hotel for The Compound. I'm running with the post-collapse establishment of a stronghold, and trying to think about how a group of survivors would modify and rebuild the structures.

I should have a bunch of time to put into this during the week, and intend to focus on finishing the buildings so I can move on to the street and terrain. For now, it's time for a beverage.
Cheers, Fighters!

TIE_FighterTK069

Enlisted
Oct 20, 2014
Back in Tucson, AZ!
Thanks, y'all.
I think it is a little monotone, so I may work on the when I do the final I stall and touch things up.
It may be good, monotone, considering the backstory I'm working on, though. We'll see.

I'm wide open for suggestions!

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
Really good work. The buildings are fantastic. I like the monotone. It ties it together as being in a commercial district possibly owned by same person.

That Hotel sign kicks all kinds of ass!

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Add more greens for overgrowth...that should help break up the drabness...maybe add some actual dio mossy stuff, grass and weeds...maybe even some tiny trees/shrubs...

TIE_FighterTK069

Enlisted
Oct 20, 2014
Back in Tucson, AZ!
Really good work. The buildings are fantastic. I like the monotone. It ties it together as being in a commercial district possibly owned by same person.
That Hotel sign kicks all kinds of ass!

Thanks, Med! The sign was a snap to cut out of basswood. The letters are for fucking scrapbooking! Found 'em at Michael's on a run for the show my lady is working on. They seems perfect, and damn if they aren't, right?

Add more greens for overgrowth...that should help break up the drabness...maybe add some actual dio mossy stuff, grass and weeds...maybe even some tiny trees/shrubs...

I'm really struggling to figure out the terrain bits, and how to make the moldy overgrowth and whatnot. Seems the hobby and diorama shit is so expensive, and well... just not cool looking. I've collected up some detritus from the parks around me, and some moss from the flower sections of the aforementioned Michaels, so we'll see what I can come up with. I have a few days of work before I get started on the ground.

The whole place, in the story in my brain, was under 12 feet of water for 10 years or so after Cobra rocked their Weather Dominator, and the US decided to reveal that the HAARP project could actually alter the weather, then use it against Cobra. Shit went sideways, 6 years of rain ensued, seas desalinated and rose, blah blah blah. Everything crashed, both systems shut down and the environment stagnated. Drought, plague, dogs and cats living together, while survivors sought sanctuary in the mountains and waited for the waters to recede. When they did, some came down from the hills to resettle the cities.
This is what they found.
This is where they made their new home.

Something like that... I'm a few beers into my Friday, so... ya know.

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
One thing I do for greens is buy the real moss from plant section at AC Moore and I press it into the seams and cracks in the foam with a small straight edge screwdriver. I than just cover it with elmers glue and give it one press down with my finger. Dries great for me each time.

dirt, stones and such, I use course sand. Put elmers glue down, sprinkle on. let dry, pat excess off and paint it to make it good and sturdy on the foam. Here is an example of both I did for this months Officer give-away.

I have also used the bristles from an old worn broom where ends are splitting for rag weeds and such. Old fake Christmas tree pieces work too.

Last edited:

TIE_FighterTK069

Enlisted
Oct 20, 2014
Back in Tucson, AZ!
One thing I do for greens is buy the real moss from plant section at AC Moore and I press it into the seams and cracks in the foam with a small straight edge screwdriver. I than just cover it with elmers glue and give it one press down with my finger. Dries great for me each time.

Okay, there is so much going on in those pictures I'm not sure where to start.

First: excellent tip on the moss... That is the stuff I picked up, and have been staring at trying to figure out how to use. Good to see it in use and looking *exactly* like what I'm wanting to achieve. Thanks!

Second: holy shit those dioramas are incredible. The toilet? Fucking amazing. The woodwork on that shack... I would love to see more of that piece. I have a swamp shack idea ruminating for a future project, but that may now be redundant. What you have going on there looks outstanding! The wall looks great, and that sidewalk is perfection.

Third: what is this officer give-away you speak of? I see those officer logos on some of y'all's accounts, what's the scoop, man?

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
Thanks. I made the toilet with sculpey. The woodwork is Skinnies brand popsickle sticks. I recently sold that dio to Keenan for a future episode of his End of Days Dio stories. Pics of it's interior and exterior can be found in my photo bucket. meddatron's Library | Photobucket I don't post a lot of my dios except in action shots. I been busy making them for others so I have not made many for my self lately and I seldom post commissions on public boards. That is for the owner to decide. :D

For the dirt on the dio I used some real dirt and mixed it with a lot of sawdust. Spray glued the base and covered it with the "dirt" mix. I than sprayed the entire surface of it. Once glue was dry parts were/are still loose. So I took brown paint and watered it down enough to spray out a spray bottle. I applied many many many coats of paint this way (almost supersaturation each time). The sawdust turns brown and the dirt stays natural color but gets really hard because of the paint. Since than I have just used sawdust and sand. Cleaner to do, but not quite as natural.

The officer dio is all insulation foam except the bubble plastic as window glass and the printed newspaper. Mandingo Rex's tutorial is a perfect place for how to use that foam and where I got the info from. http://www.fighting118th.com/forum/custom-tutorials/153-tutorial-creating-dio-walls-foam.html

Officer's info is here. http://www.fighting118th.com/forum/...2015-fighting-1-18th-officers-club-drive.html This year's is already in full effect, but next year's will arrive fast. We do some free give aways there and have contests as well. That first dio shown is a part of the give aways.

Last edited:

TIE_FighterTK069

Enlisted
Oct 20, 2014
Back in Tucson, AZ!
Thanks. I made the toilet with sculpey. The woodwork is Skinnies brand popsickle sticks. I recently sold that dio to Keenan for a future episode of his End of Days Dio stories. Pics of it's interior and exterior can be found in my photo bucket. meddatron's Library | Photobucket I don't post a lot of my dios except in action shots. I been busy making them for others so I have not made many for my self lately and I seldom post commissions on public boards. That is for the owner to decide. :D

For the dirt on the dio I used some real dirt and mixed it with a lot of sawdust. Spray glued the base and covered it with the "dirt" mix. I than sprayed the entire surface of it. Once glue was dry parts were/are still loose. So I took brown paint and watered it down enough to spray out a spray bottle. I applied many many many coats of paint this way (almost supersaturation each time). The sawdust turns brown and the dirt stays natural color but gets really hard because of the paint. Since than I have just used sawdust and sand. Cleaner to do, but not quite as natural.

The officer dio is all insulation foam except the bubble plastic as window glass and the printed newspaper. Mandingo Rex's tutorial is a perfect place for how to use that foam and where I got the info from. http://www.fighting118th.com/forum/custom-tutorials/153-tutorial-creating-dio-walls-foam.html

Officer's info is here. http://www.fighting118th.com/forum/...2015-fighting-1-18th-officers-club-drive.html This year's is already in full effect, but next year's will arrive fast. We do some free give aways there and have contests as well. That first dio shown is a part of the give aways.

Right on, man, thanks! Killer work. Your attention to detail is inspiring. I have a lot to learn, but this shit is fun... y'all are a great bunch, too. I've been using that pink foam stuff, and took some time today to play around with carving it. My better half has a hot knife, which is my next tool to experiment with.

I finished up the garage and liquor store for The Compound, today. Well, finished is a relative term... I still have some details to sort out, like the security door and garage door. Not sure what to do bout the slither of garage floor that is needed. Now that I'm ready to work on the terrain though, I have a couple options with what to do. I'm thinking a pit and grates, and also that I wish I had more room to expand this fucker!

TIE_FighterTK069

Enlisted
Oct 20, 2014
Back in Tucson, AZ!
Just a quick update from a bit of work I did today...
I have the guard post and gate finished, and the patch for the fence line as well, now. I cut out a crawl space that will get filled with rubble. Then, on a tip from from here, I picked up one of those toxic waste sour candy drums today and started work on the bio-diesel fuel tank for the compound... I still need the finishing touches, but it is Friday night...
The bike is going to get done up like a mil-spec KLR.

Time for a beverage.
Cheers!