The Military’s New Toys

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yeah, counter rotating with a push rotor is the way to go for speed since they've pretty much topped out conventional.

RIP Comanche. Here's hoping the next one gets past the prototype.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yes, but this has fixed rotor blades and a push propeller. I think the Havoc’s blades tilted.
All of Kamov's rotor systems work like normal (pitch and the like), The coaxial, contra-rotating system negates the need for an anti-torque tail rotor.

That Boeing thing sounds suspiciously like an autogyro.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
But weren't they having lots o problems with them? All a-o-k now?
They had a lot of highly publicized problems during R&D, but are generally okay now. I know they've been deployed to Iraq and maybe A'stan too. The most recent loss I am away of was off Japan, within the last couple years. 'Course the Navy has had all kinds of issues with equipment lately. Partially a function of the awful budget issues of late. Supposedly getting better under Trump.

dannyc

Resident Cuban
Jan 28, 2012
miami

They had a lot of highly publicized problems during R&D, but are generally okay now. I know they've been deployed to Iraq and maybe A'stan too. The most recent loss I am away of was off Japan, within the last couple years. 'Course the Navy has had all kinds of issues with equipment lately. Partially a function of the awful budget issues of late. Supposedly getting better under Trump.
Last non combat crash was in Australia
we also lost one in Yemen and one in Syria