The Military’s New Toys

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yeah, I was looking for the crane as well. Did you guys happen to catch the Iron Man episode of Savage Builds? The miniaturization of jet engines has gotten really good, so we may yet see those jet packs/flying cars we were promised.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yep, but the miniaturized jet engines are a little better than the old school James Bond rocket pack. I think they are up near of over 10 minutes of fight.

Coolest current one I've seen is here:

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Problem with adding wings (or anything else really) is weight. If the existing engines are able to overcome that at all, it would certainly reduce flight time due to the need for more fuel for thrust. I know I'd be marketing to the military though for sure if I were that guy, or at least to Lockheed Martin to sell the patent so they could build even more capable ones to sell to the military.

While I think the winged ones are cool too, they can't actually take off from the ground or land there. They have to be dropped from a helo or a seriously elevated position, and they only actually travel semi-parallel to the ground as they ultimately descend to parachute level. So they are ultimately just wing suits on steroids.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Yeah, imagine some hostage rescue mission where you land on the roof of the building rather than trying to go up a few flights of stairs. And while I'm sure the thing isn't silent, it's not going to make noise like a chopper or something. You'd be in and out while the bad guys are still watching the front door.

This is exactly the type of thing I expect from a high-tech military. 5-10min runtime, specialty application. I never imagine they'd be like, "ok, off to the middle east with my jetpack, might have to stop in Germany for refueling..." But this is exactly the kind of thing that could be a game changer for some specialized mission types.

Plus, can you imagine what kind of recruiting tool this would be? "All you X-Games slackers with your skateboards and snowboards... sign up and you can ride THIS instead!"