The Military’s New Toys

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yeah, counter rotating with a push rotor is the way to go for speed since they've pretty much topped out conventional.

RIP Comanche. Here's hoping the next one gets past the prototype.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yes, but this has fixed rotor blades and a push propeller. I think the Havoc’s blades tilted.
All of Kamov's rotor systems work like normal (pitch and the like), The coaxial, contra-rotating system negates the need for an anti-torque tail rotor.

That Boeing thing sounds suspiciously like an autogyro.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
The Ospreys are fully active. I think they've lost a couple in the last few years though.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
But weren't they having lots o problems with them? All a-o-k now?
They had a lot of highly publicized problems during R&D, but are generally okay now. I know they've been deployed to Iraq and maybe A'stan too. The most recent loss I am away of was off Japan, within the last couple years. 'Course the Navy has had all kinds of issues with equipment lately. Partially a function of the awful budget issues of late. Supposedly getting better under Trump.

dannyc

Resident Cuban
Jan 28, 2012
miami

They had a lot of highly publicized problems during R&D, but are generally okay now. I know they've been deployed to Iraq and maybe A'stan too. The most recent loss I am away of was off Japan, within the last couple years. 'Course the Navy has had all kinds of issues with equipment lately. Partially a function of the awful budget issues of late. Supposedly getting better under Trump.
Last non combat crash was in Australia
we also lost one in Yemen and one in Syria

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Woo. I think I'd go for something a little stiffer than what he's holding...

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I mean, if you can get a nuclear bomb UNDER a carrier group.. well that's not good. I assume they'd have sonar to detect it? They need to design it so it can lay in wait on the bottom for the carrier to pass over and then zoom up and KABOOM!

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Wheels down just in case? Or always wheels down?

Yeah, a nuclear war would suck. Why the people in charge would want to turn the WHOLE world into Haiti I do not know.