The mother of modern artillery: trebuchet

klausbrazil

klausbrazil
Jun 22, 2011
São Paulo
I do not know whether I allocated this topic in the right section because the trebuchet belongs more to the middle ages. It is a real challange to bilt one and the following link shows a simple model I built some years ago.

http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b2/Klausmerkel/Roman and medieval artillery/

No specialized shop can help you. You really would need to invest some time in scratch-building, but if you get to build one it is very funny and very rewarding.

Here are the catches:

1. The box with the counterwight has to have about 1,5-2 kg (3-4 English pounds). You need to fill it with nails or other heavy metal objects. You must use screws and nails and glue for the whole machine because if you would use only glue it would break after a few shots. The trebuchet shown in the pictures is about 50 cm high, 20 cm wide and 35 cm long.

2. The biggest problem is to get the projectile being shot in the right direction. That seems obvious but if you do not make it right, the sack with the projectile either would open too early and the projectile would be thrown to the rear or simply straight upwarts. If it opens too late, the projectile would land a few inches in front of the trebuchet. I got to threw projectiles up to six meters (20 feet)with that trebuchet of approximately 1:18 scale.
Here is a hint: On top of the long vertical lever you can identify a nail without head. That is where the loose end of the sack for the projectile is fixed before shooting. This nail has to be a little bit bent. The right measure of bending of that nail determines where your projectile goes.

In case you need pictures or drawing plans for a trebuchet, just search on the internet. I have found that there are several clubs in the USA which re-build medieval and Roman artillery. There you find what you need. I may add that I find it amazing how Americans can combine a sense for history with having fun.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
As i recall "onager" translates out to "wild ass".

Here in the States there's a pumpkin chunkin' league, with trebuchet as a class.