The Official Introduction Thread!

Mar 20, 2014
Leesburg, VA
Ha! I live in Newbury Park right now. Small world. But I grew up here (Malibu/Calabasas/Agoura). Did you like it out here? Work for Amgen?
I liked it somewhat, my cousin(s) and good friend still live there. I thought SF Bay was a more interesting place to live. I was in high school at the turn of the century in NP. My aunt and uncle made a fortune from Amgen, if that counts? Living there also made me a contact with a producer who is working to help me sell some scripts, so... I certainly don't regret living there!

hardcorps

The Unwashed
Mar 27, 2014
near Harrisburg, Pa
Who: Scott disguising himself as Hardcorps
What: Retired Marine, current war profiteer or defense contractor if you prefer. customizer more than a collector, not a good one, but enthusiastic.
When: 42 or thereabouts. Got in on the ground floor of ARAH but then discovered girls a few years later. Should have stuck with GI Joe
Where: Central PA by way of the Marine Corps, originally from Montana-where the men are men, and so are the women
Why: Why do I customize? I had a box of vintagish Joes I bought for my daughter about 6 years ago. 2 years ago, she was making a diorama and I googled diorama accessories and found the world of 1:18 customizing. I found this was sort of a weird hobby that tapped into all my previous skills-knowledge of the military and equipment, some model making as a kid, knowledge of a wide variety of tools, and an enjoyment of creative work and problem solving.
How: googled 1:18 military stuff. been lurking for a while soaking up all the knowledge, well, soaking up some of it anyway. Got a long way to go.

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
Who: Scott disguising himself as Hardcorps
What: Retired Marine, current war profiteer or defense contractor if you prefer. customizer more than a collector, not a good one, but enthusiastic.
When: 42 or thereabouts. Got in on the ground floor of ARAH but then discovered girls a few years later. Should have stuck with GI Joe
Where: Central PA by way of the Marine Corps, originally from Montana-where the men are men, and so are the women
Why: Why do I customize? I had a box of vintagish Joes I bought for my daughter about 6 years ago. 2 years ago, she was making a diorama and I googled diorama accessories and found the world of 1:18 customizing. I found this was sort of a weird hobby that tapped into all my previous skills-knowledge of the military and equipment, some model making as a kid, knowledge of a wide variety of tools, and an enjoyment of creative work and problem solving.
How: googled 1:18 military stuff. been lurking for a while soaking up all the knowledge, well, soaking up some of it anyway. Got a long way to go.
welcome aboard bro. Another local!

Mar 25, 2014
wotcha guys .. should hae sussed there was an intro thread earlier ...
any how , pleased to be here , im goaty..or simon , whichever ye prefer.
42 years of age and should know better.
only got into the 1/18 scene a coupla o months back and then only through the acid rain stuff.
not into joes really or the more realistic figs ..yet
been around the block a bit , lived all over from the middle east to africa and just finished a year volunteering for a small charity in britain ..
back out in the wilds now and trying to find a place to live and a job that wont kill my soul
when im not tryna paint wee figs im outdoors a lot , tracking , teaching wild craft or whatever its called these days and carving spoons or skinning roadkill
i really dig goats in a non sexual way , once got my arse out in front of the queen and have a lot of trouble keeping sane in this beautiful fecked up world of ours..

x

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
Who: Josh can also find me out there as the Archivist or Jayd

What: 1:18 super collector. I especially love fantasy and sci-fi figures

When: early to mid 30s

Why: I always had action figures as a kid. Mostly TMNT stuff but in the late 90s I really got into Star Wars and then into all lines that are 1:18 scale. I have tried a couple times to put together a 1:18 scale photo archive and database. I have a pretty good MS Access db going and recently commandeered my wife into developing me an actual web based db where you can search figures by character, category, line, company, or species. Its still a pretty big work in progress but I chip away at the database a little every day. Someday I'll get it done. check it out at www.118archive.com/archive
I have a couple actual figure entries in there. to see how it works just type in "a" and click search. That will give you a good idea of how it works at least. I have over 7k more entries to put into the figures table. If you want to see the results of just the characters or other tables check out the customs page and there are some test links there that display all the results.
1:18 Customs

If you have any suggestions to make it better let me know while it is still in its design phase.

Where: Just moved to Atlanta from Central IL

How: I found this site while looking for more forums to talk about 1:18 scale figures. I've mostly just read and checked out everyones customs. but decided to join last December. I'll probably continue to read more than post but who knows...

Who?: Drew AKA 1000nuglets AKA Brickhead

What?: Collector, artist, newb customizer

When?: I'm 29

Why?: The news of having a child got me excited and I tapped back into my inner-child. I got back into LEGO first and dug out my old collection in my folk's attic. Then I dropped about $3,000.00 on more LEGO for the sake of getting newer bricks. LEGO led to Megablok. Then Megablok figures got me back into action figures. Started to then collect Marvel Universe figures. Visiting figurerealm.com got me interested in Ratfink's custom GI Joes. I've always been the creative type--LEGO, Warhammer40k, sculpy, melting army men, and illustration. I came across fighting118th when I started to research ways to cast and customize.

Where?: Hollywood, Maryland

How?: How did I not do this sooner? hmmmm

Just found this thread, so:

Who: TIE Fighter TK069 aka Jason.

What: Molder of minds during the day, nightmare creator by night. OG Joe fan, Star Wars geek, Spielberg and Henson junkie, and veteran of the Army (oh, youth) and the Air Force (sensible decision of a 20-something).

When: October, 2015, I will have achieved the answer to life, the Universe, and everything.

Why: Found some old ARAH Joes over the summer, and immediately became overwhelmed with nostalgia. Picked up more, started selling them off because who the hell needs a collection of old action figures (but I'm keep all of 1984, bitches!) and in the process of taking pics for auctions, decided to build something more interesting than a light box for photos. Stumbled on these new Joes, and now I'm tumbling down the rabbit hole. I've always been a maker of things, and have found working in miniature to be ridiculously satisfying.

Where: Newly transplanted to Tarrytown, NY from The Old Pueblo.

How: I was looking for info on calculating scale because I wanted to build a diorama... Knowledge, the original gateway drug.

Rider

Au Soleil !
Jul 30, 2015
Marseille
cobra.4umer.com
Hello all

Long time reader I finally registered so I may first introduce myself:

Who:
Tibo AKA Rider

What:
Illustrator looking for work ... Homme a tout faire ...

When:

Why:

Always enjoyed to modify my toys to make them more accurate to TV show or just to whatever was in my mind.
From my first Joe (a Cobra guy named Firefly actually) up to date I always prefered 1:18 scale action figures as it is easier to make backgrounds, vehicles and stuff, mixing brands in order to create a huge universe with all the characters I loved and tell stories out of it.
Having practiced some Games WorkShop WarHammer 40K for a time, I discovered green stuff and Citadel paints, so when the 25th line appeared with figures more and more articulated and with better sculpts, I started again sharing my works and stories with others first on the french "Cobra Island" forum then some place else up to here ...

Where:
Marseille

How:
I discovered your forum quite some time ago looking for customs tips and ideas and enjoying others stuff (especially love your "one shot thread" or "House Battle/Wars" and "On the workbench".
After a recent discussion with Contraband telling me how cool you are here, I decided to finally register ...

----Edit:

Looks like my avatar can't be seen ? Is it normal ?

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014
Whoa now! I never said these guys are "cool"! I believe I said "a bunch of douche bags in a slightly more relaxed atmosphere":trollface:

Welcome aboard man:D

CoreyD

Enlisted
May 3, 2015
DC
Who?: Corey aka CoreyD

What?: Collector, painter, customizer. Need to work on my photography skills.

When?: 37? 38? Dear god, am I almost 40?

Why?: Spent my younger years trying to bash up GI Joes and The Corps figures into some sort of ultimate special forces unit (that actually looked like a special forces unit...) After many years spent painting scale models, I actually started getting back into the hobby with the Acid Rain line.

Where?: DC, Mid-Atlantic

The How: I found this site while searching for more info on Pickel's 1/18 Mi-24 Hind. Now, I have to find room for the damn thing!

I've been lurking/reading for a while. I suspect a fair number of you all also post on the Acid Rain Facebook page, sooo what's up?

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014
I don't post in acid rain,although I'm a must of the group I still do not own a single acid rain anything....yet. I'm mostly an impulse buyer,it takes too much forethought to buy online. If they where in stores Id have them already.