The X Reviews: SDCC 2012 Maria Hill Exclusive Figure

XOC2008

Caution: Troll Ahead!
Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
As I understand it, the SDCC Exclusive Maria Hill figure is a repaint of Avengers ScarJo Black Widow, with a new head. Since I do not own Black Widow I will have to base all my opinions on this figure.

ARTICULATION

It seems to be all that we have come to expect from Marvel line figures; Head, full shoulder and elbow, swivel wrist, hip, thigh, knee, ankle. Speaking of the ankle, it looks like Marvel was going for the rocker ankle on Maria/Black Widow, but it really sort of fell short. Instead of the peg going in at an angle, it goes in straight vertical and gives it the normal up/down, left/right rotation.

Also of note is that the torso lacks any articulation at all. No mid-torso joint, no waist swivel. It makes for, in my opinion, pretty stagnant poses.

MOLD

It's a nice, solid mold in my opinion. Stylistically, it looks great and is only hampered by some of the articulation issues mentioned above. Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the new head, this figure also has new/different forearms. Everything else appears to be the same as the much sought after ScarJo figure, with different paint applications.

PAINT

Paint apps are fairly well done, so it seems QC was pretty good for the exclusives that came with the Helicarrier. Maria's done in a black and white scheme, with silver trim around the neck and down center mass, and a nicely done Avengers/SHIELD logo on the left and right shoulder.

The paint apps for the head are also nicely done, and don't appear caked on, nor does it hide some of the finer details, though as you can see it's not the best paint job. There are some spots that were missed, and her right eye appears a little misshapen because of some detail work gone slightly awry.

ACCESSORIES

Holster belt, two pistols. That's it. Same ones that come with Black Widow. Then again, you really can't expect them to be outfitted with more than that since they came with a $160 display shelf. ;)

OVERALL

Overall, this is a nice figure. I really can't complain since it gives me something few other people have since Maria's not available retail and not many people wanted to shell out the cash for the super helicarrier. But if you want to add another female to your ranks, this is a good one to get if you can find her for a decent price.

-X

Attachments

• mariahill1mold.jpg
    mariahill1mold.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 5
  • mariahill2mold.jpg
    mariahill2mold.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 4
  • mariahill3mold.jpg
    mariahill3mold.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 4
  • mariahill4mold.jpg
    mariahill4mold.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 4
  • mariahill1artic.jpg
    mariahill1artic.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 3
  • mariahill2artic.jpg
    mariahill2artic.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 4
  • mariahillcloseup.jpg
    mariahillcloseup.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 3
  • mariahilllogoleft.jpg
    mariahilllogoleft.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 3
  • mariahilllogoright.jpg
    mariahilllogoright.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I have BW and I'm pretty sure the body is a straight reuse.

I'm sure XOC is gonna send that head to Jesse for casting. Right? RIGHT?

XOC2008

Caution: Troll Ahead!
Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
I have BW and I'm pretty sure the body is a straight reuse.

I'm sure XOC is gonna send that head to Jesse for casting. Right? RIGHT?

I can, and likely will. ;) Just wanna wait till he's done with all the work he's got right now with his sale! Check the forearms, KT. I think BW has big gauntlet, bracelet things.. Maria doesn't.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I can, and likely will. ;) Just wanna wait till he's done with all the work he's got right now with his sale! Check the forearms, KT. I think BW has big gauntlet, bracelet things.. Maria doesn't.

Removable!

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Good, those pieces of crap were one of the first things I took off BW.

I think Maria's head will look good on the 25th LJ torso. Can't wait to see it pop up on Jesse's site.