This is my Rifle, This is my Gun

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I thought 5.45 got the axe because some dickheads proposed making an AK pistol. I heard on the news that that was what they're using against M855, its use in AR pistols. If we really want to add to the confusion, M855 was technically banned back in the '80s, but given a sporting use exemption.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I heard a few things around the time they banned the 5.45 from the "armor piercing" angle to boycotting Putin's Russia. I'm not really sure what the real story was. Some have said that this one originated with all the surplus M855 that's due to hit the mainland once hostilities are officially ended over in the 'stan. Someone apparently doesn't want this stuff to go super cheap, so decided to ban it instead.

I read it on the internet though, so it's all true I guess... :rolleyes:

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
So I have the gun-itch again, and I think I've settled on a Glock 19. Surprisingly, I think 9mm is the only common round I have no experience with. Anyone have opinions on the G19?

Anyone have strong feelings about the Gen3 vs Gen4 differences? As you'd expect, the Gen3's are a bit cheaper, but I don't want to cheap-out if the newer ones are noticeably improved. I think I want a crimson trace grip, preferably green just for the cool factor. Anyone have one with a factory threaded barrel and suppressor? Never owned a suppressor before, but this seems like the right piece on which to try one.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
We have the 19, gen 3, and love it. I don't recall what the differences between gen 3 and 4 were, though, so I can't comment on that. When we got ours, it was before the gen 4 was out, so it wasn't an issue for us. Also haven't shot any other 9mm pistols, so I can't compare what we have to anything else. I have done side by side shooting comparisons with a 40 caliber Glock and didn't notice a recoil difference at all.

While I'd love to have it suppressed, it is not. I just can't justify the cost for something that wouldn't be very useful. I'm not a spy. :D Sure would be nice to have if an intruder broke in and I had to lay him out, though. I could do it and NOT be deaf afterwards. :lmao:

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I think the main difference with the 3 and 4 is something to do with the grip? Some people saying the grip on the 4 is too aggressive.. or something.. It's been a while since I looked at Glocks.

I've never owned one but all the ones I've shot have done well by me.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Yeah, my research says grips, and some kind of change in the recoil springs for durability's sake. Plus interchangeable backstraps... probably not something I would ever bother with. One positive I have found so far is that the grip is sized a tad smaller, and as I have smaller hands, it might be something that makes a difference. I'm definitely going to have to visit a couple of retailers and hold a few.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
We have the 19, gen 3, and love it. I don't recall what the differences between gen 3 and 4 were, though, so I can't comment on that. When we got ours, it was before the gen 4 was out, so it wasn't an issue for us. Also haven't shot any other 9mm pistols, so I can't compare what we have to anything else. I have done side by side shooting comparisons with a 40 caliber Glock and didn't notice a recoil difference at all.

While I'd love to have it suppressed, it is not. I just can't justify the cost for something that wouldn't be very useful. I'm not a spy. :D Sure would be nice to have if an intruder broke in and I had to lay him out, though. I could do it and NOT be deaf afterwards. :lmao:
That's the main reason to have them, they're sure as shit better for your hearing. Hell, that reason alone should be enough to get them off the NFA list. Of course stupid people think they work like in the movies. :grumpy:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Bill Burr made an arguement for a 22 for that reason alone. Hilarious!

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gCn8VGDVFgQ[/ame]

This is great too.

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x9iYvyffAh4[/ame]

Last edited:

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
He's not wrong. I've wanted one of these for years, a .22 Mag with a 30 round capacity. It might take more than one shot, but I'll have plenty of chances...

PMR-30 | Pistols | Kel-tec

Downside is that it's vaporware. You can't buy one unless you are best friends with the grand poo-bah of the NRA in your state or some other connected shit because they are on serious allocation and have been since introduction 4 years ago.:grumpy:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I bet you could make a strong argument for .22LR having put more people in their graves than any other "non-military" caliber.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Yeah, I like that the G19 is universal enough to have loads of available accessories.

Riddle me this, Batman. Why-o-why is every gun I'm interested in show zero stock on gallery of guns? How the hell can the internet be out of Glocks? It's not like I'm trying to buy a gold-plated Desert Eagle or anything...

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I haven't had time to go looking. I usually know what I want, and my local guy always has the best price on GoG, so it's normally no-muss, no-fuss. But it's tough to compare when nothing's available.

I should check the paper, as it seems there is a gun show around here once a month.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
A gen 4 G19 was actually my latest defensive pistol purchase. I sold my Beretta Px4 Storm for the cash to get it. I really like it. Biggest change from the gen 3 is the upgraded recoil spring. Another is the reversable mag release. I love the common mag compatability with my gen 4 G17, and the fact that Magpul is about to drop their own version of the Glock 9mm mags in the very near future, compatable with both. My G19 came with a Crimson Trace light guard, which is very handy as well, but can rub your trigger finger a bit during firing. Nothing too serious though. You can get CT compatable concealed and non-concealed holsters for equipped G19s a decent price from CT's website. I have big hands and the G19 is one of the few compact pistols that I am comfortable with (can't stand having my pinky hanging loose), so you should have no trouble with it. I definitely recommend.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
My further research tells me that the very early release of the Gen 4 had some issues with the springs, but they were recalled and fixed in production very early on. I think as long as I get a datecode of '13 or later, it should be damn-near perfect.

That's good to know about the holsters, as that's always a question with any kind of add-on. I don't carry, as I've been too lazy to get my permit. I only shoot at home (we live on 75 acres out in the boonies), so carrying has never been a real priority. However, I know some liberal will come along and try to do away with carry permits or make them stupid-hard to get. I really should get my ass in gear, because you know, Democrats.

YT1

NO LONGER A MEMBER
Mar 15, 2011
Lucked out and got a Carbine from the recent CMP Sale. They announced it on Thursday and had 5000 orders on Monday for 1000 rifles.

Mostly correct 1944 Winchester, including original barrel and stock.

YT1

NO LONGER A MEMBER
Mar 15, 2011
It's going to be interesting to see what happens with the 1911s. When I was in the ARNG they still had some 45s kicking around and they were loose worn out rattled messes. We had transitioned to the M9 years before in RA so who knows what the service cycle was. I do have a LEO friend who got some of the gubernment 1911s and he swears they are like new and must have been through a full Arsenal rebuild.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yeah, I was surprised they had any 1911s in the inventory at all. I imagine they'll either be safe queens or clapped out junk, with the lion's share being the latter. Those rattle can ones will be starting at 1K and they'll sell, too. Everyone wants that US Property rollmark.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com

4 years later I finally got out to the range.

WOOO boy. Fired off maybe 50-60 rounds?

Need to go back to figure out the scope. It came with the gun but I think it's range out further than the range I went too (100 yards).

The .308 is LOUD! Can't believe it took so long to get to the range, honestly I was glad it fired at all. Figured after all this time I'd realize I'd bought a broken gun.

We also did some trap shooting, first time I used a shotgun.. did OK. Went 17/25 the first round and 15/25 the second round. Used a friends pump mossberg.

Also did some pistol plinking, which was fun.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Haven't been to the range in a while. More than a year I think. Was visiting with family this past weekend and my uncle was talking about shooting out on his property. Sounds soooooooo much better than the strict range rules. I'd love to be able to move while shooting or have moving targets. He was talking about their homemade six gun style set up. Sounded awesome.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah they're trying to pass a law that would even count M1A-type rifles as "assault weapons" in CA. Making over 10-round magazines illegal regardless of when you got them (they're grandfathered right now). And a bunch of other silliness.

It'll probably all pass too. I hate CA most times.