Toys R Us to close 200 more stores.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I attempt to buy Marvel Legends there, as they always have store exclusives... that never make it to my store. So while I'd theoretically be sad if mine closed, I'm not sure I'd notice in a practical sense. I know my kids would be crushed, as it's the only pure toy store in our area of any kind. They'd be relegated to hunting for their favs at Target and WM, which is a whole different kind of depressing.

However, being the only TRU in a 1-1/2 hour radius, they seem to do a pretty solid amount of business, and I'd be stunned if mine was on the "close" list.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Our TRU got refreshed a few years back and taken from a rundown area to the hot side of town. It's pretty well kept and stays pretty busy most of the time. I think it'll survive for now.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Since Hastings closed TrU is the only place that carries any NECA product. I also hit TrU when a new line of LEGO CMFs is close to being released, just in case they break street date. Oh, and around the holidays when I've got to search for whatever item only they carry needs to be acquired for the niece. I'm firmly of the belief that less retail options is always a bad thing.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah, there should be a good mix of both, but I can see why retail stores are dying.. who wants to go anywhere these days?

I went to the mall yesterday with the wife for something, and like 1/3rd of the stores are empty. It's crazy. It's a nice, newly renovated mall, in a well-to-do upscale area too. The store there are mostly weird stores I'd never shop at anyway.

I realized most of the things you could get at the mall, you can now just buy at Target. I mean, Walmart too, but fuck Walmart. Target at least is 'sorta' nice. No one wants to hassle with parking at the mall, 'mall kids', overpriced shit, etc etc.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Malls in general, save for the upscale "town center" type outdoor ones, are dead or dying, at least around here. I haven't been in a non-depressing indoor mall in quite a few years now. They are either half empty or 2/3 filled with knock off stores and restaurants or weird substitutes (a gym where Old Navy used to be?).

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I stopped carrying about malls once KB Toys, Suncoast and the various booksellers ceased to exist.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Yeah, once KB Toys, K&K Toys, Waldenbooks, and B Dalton went away, Sears stopped carrying toys, and everything else became available cheaper at other stores or online, why would ANYONE want to go to the mall?

That being said, I do miss having more local choices. But that doesn't make me want to go back to the old days of having to drive around and suffer through whatever crappy distribution hits my local area. I'll take the global economy over overpriced local stuff, if that's the tradeoff.

I'll miss TRU if/when mine closes, but it'll be more nostalgia-based than from any practical sense. Looking back, I had similar misgivings when Circuit City, CompUSA, Service Merchandise, K-Mart, and Borders went away too, and yet I don't feel like my life lacks anything because of their absence. I really hope Best Buy and TRU are able to continue because it would be a blow to have zero local options outside of WM/Target, but I suspect life will go on either way.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
I personally got sick of wasting my time, so I stopped going. All of the wasted time and gas to continually come up empty handed. Not to mention the constant disappointment. Much easier and probably a savings in the end, to jut order exactly what you want online.

The only kinds of stores I would mind see going would be clothing stores. That is not something I can buy online. I do not want to have to deal the hassle of returning something online if it doesn't fit.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Hmmm... "imports & exports"... In an old airplane hangar. That won't raise any eyebrows, no sir...

Went to my TRU over the weekend, and honest to goodness, I made a pity-purchase. I made a real-life "I need to support my shitty local store so it doesn't close" purchase. They had a bogo 50 sale on mega bloks, so I got the two Probuilder sets. I wanted the space explorer (no matter how impractical and out-of-place in my collection), and my wife kinda wanted to build the ship (and I called dibs on the female viking, the only part of the set I cared about).

Parking lot was full, but not a lot of buying going on, virtually all the same stock on figures they had a few weeks ago when I dropped by. The turnover is just non-existent. All TRU's in general are pretty lousy, but even mine that I feel is slightly above average, I still don't know how they keep the lights on.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yeah, I don't know what it is exactly, but TRU has lost its luster for me as well. Ours is a new, pretty nice representative of the company, but I remember specifically thinking on my last visit, "Wow, what big, bright, clean store... full of a bunch of overpriced junk..." I couldn't find an item (not one) to buy, despite even having a $5 rewards gift card to use. I knew, even if I chose to use it, I could find the same (or better) item elsewhere for less than the cost with the discount.

I really miss the "wow" factor from when I was a kid back in the '80's. I remember there being significant representation (half to full aisles) of GI Joes, Star Wars, Transformers, etc. at just about every department store and even at a fair number of auto parts type stores. And when you walk into a dedicated toy store like Children's Palace or the like, it was almost overwhelming! 'Course most or all those places are gone now... Seems like now the only place to get that kind of wow is down at Disney World.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I imagine the 'wild west internet' of today will be looked back on fondly in the future as more laws and corporations wrangle it under control.

Heck maybe physical 'toys' at all will be looked back on fondly as kids will be 100% VR raised in the future!

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Yeah, now that the FCC has torched net neutrality, the net will become a morass of pay-for-play corporate shit, just like TV. I'm sure kids will miss lots of things about their good-old-days.

I often wonder, what would it take to set up a different, but completely independent web that's free of the rules? Basically take what we know and start over, sans regulatory crap and some kind of central, universal ISP via satellite or some such. It would be crazy for a while with minimal content, but it would incubate far faster than 1.0. Basically I'm just trying to figure out a way to f#$% comcast and time warner cable... because they are da' debil.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I mean there is the Deep Web or Dark Web or.. whatever. You still need proper "internet access" though to make it work.

Anything new that wasn't linked to the 'internet' at large would be a huge undertaking. You'd need to start it as a private network and expand outwards. Hopefully you could re-use a lot of existing wiring, but all the trunking cable is owned by the big companies.. so it'd be a huge cost to even get different neighborhoods connected together.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Those $100,000 routers and switches add up fast and then you have a plethora of different types of servers at each central office. I’m sure we could get the 12 of us directly connected for a few million dollars plus lease fees on the dark fiber.

GoFundMe anyone?

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Screw fiber trunk lines. I'm thinking satellites. Wireless. (This coming from a guy who used to design fiber-optic telecom gear.)

Eh, Elon will probably beat me to it. I'm counting on the real-life Tony Starks of the world to save us from the morons we've chosen to govern us.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I took my two boys to the local mall last Thursday to go to the only "arcade" left in our area...as well as too see the mall itself.

The whole trip was a huge disappointment.

The last time I visited this arcade was about 10 years ago, all they had were Street Fighter type games, driving games and hunting/shooting games...the kind that have weapons that you actually hold, and a few ticket games. Now.....now it's about less than half the size it was which was have the size of what it was when I was a kid, so each time we go, it's actually gotten smaller. No ticket games, one or two cabinet games, a few shooters, a few fighters and a few sit down/drive games. The only one they were interested in was the old Galiga/Ms. Pacman cabinet. My youngest son tried playing some sort of high-tech touch sensitive game but only twice.

So then we just walked around the mall...another disappointment. I remember how that place was when I was a little kid and even a teenager. So many stores that are closed now. There used to be a ton of places to eat, now there's three, and one of those is just a cookie stand, so I don't know if that counts. We were walking and I'd point out how x spot used to be a Radio Shack, and here's where KB toys used to be...everything they have now just sucks. The ONLY places even SOMEWHAT interesting are a Barnes and Noble and Spencers....and even Spencers wasn't all that great.

I told me wife that after that disappointment, I wish they would just close the whole place down and bulldoze it.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah brick-n-mortar is going the way of the dodo in most cases. If Amazon's NOW or whatever 1 hour delivery service or whatever takes off.. people might not even go to the grocery store. Could you imagine everything just being delivered right to your house?

Clothing.. like Eddie said.. it's a pain to return stuff.. so that might remain a little longer.. but eventually people are just going to compromise and order it. Maybe free/easy returns/pickup solves that.

nacho I guess satellite could work.. but how the hell are we launching a satellite.. from my limited remembering of my DirecTV days.. can 1 satellite cover the whole US? Obviously we would lose PROVOST unless we got one to cover Australia as well...

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I think the last time I bought anything at Spencers was back when McFarlane released that 18" Ash from Evil Dead....before that it has been many many years. I bought a t-shirt there for my then girl friend and it wasn't going to fit...she knew it without even trying it on. So I go to take it back, TELL them it wasn't worn and they tell me they are going to charge me....because it had been worn.:mad:

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I bought a new Van Halen t-shirt at Hot Topic over the x-mas holiday -- we were visiting the in-laws in TX, and we were just randomly walking around the mall after having seen a movie there. It was the first time I'd been to a mall... since we visited them last year. I haven't been to MY mall in over a decade.

I firmly believe that all malls no longer serve a useful purpose and should be destroyed. But if they did, every time I'd drive by, I'd wistfully tell my kids about how great it was, Grampa-Simpson style.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I guess malls were the Amazon of yesteryear. Everything you could want in one place.

I think Targets and Walmarts killed them just as much as online really. Why not just go to one store that has mostly everything you could want vs going to a bunch of different stores.. they also charged out the butt for rent.. so the mall stores were always overpriced.

But yeah.. the malls of the 80s and kinda the 90s was something to behold.. it was like the Capitalism Mecca.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
The only issue I have with deserted malls is the ugly abandoned buildings left behind. You have to hope that the property is still valuable otherwise it's just an eyesore, like all of the ghost town K-Marts now littering the country.

Last edited:

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I saw somewhere someone had a plan to turn all the malls into low income housing or something and it seemed like it'd work out pretty well. Divide up the stores into a couple small apartments each. The space is already there, and it'll turn into a ghetto hellhole if its abandoned, at least make some money off it.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I think low income/veteran housing is a great use for these corpses. Not sure if the owners/developers would get enough money for that to satisfy them though. Would have to be yet another government subsidized program I'm afraid...