Toys R Us to close 200 more stores.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
There was a write up on LinkedIn this morning on the KayBee resurrection. They seem pretty serious about it, especially now. Whether it sticks or not will remain to be seen...

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
But how are you going to make money?

Larian's vision for Toys "R" Us includes turning its stores into entertainment hotspots.
"We will make Toys 'R' Us an experience in and of itself; a fun and engaging place where families can spend an entire day," he said in his statement on Friday. "Imagine a mini-Disneyland in each neighborhood."

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa
But how are you going to make money?

Larian's vision for Toys "R" Us includes turning its stores into entertainment hotspots.
"We will make Toys 'R' Us an experience in and of itself; a fun and engaging place where families can spend an entire day," he said in his statement on Friday. "Imagine a mini-Disneyland in each neighborhood."
I had a similar idea ... charge an entry fee...have play areas where certain toys each day are open and able to be used...have a gaming area where you can demo games...have a spot for kids to try driving the ride on vehicles and bikes...people pay to play...IF they purchase said items...the get the "cover charge" taken off the price (pending total cost vs cover) every day new stuff is available to try...open stuff gets donated to shelters / day cares / schools... obviously need to watch for stuff getting busted up, but then it is an experience. Those who could never afford a $500 jeep for their 3 year old to drive, could stop by and let them drive it for an hour every once in awhile...shoot every time they stop the kid could drive a different one perhaps. Gamers could try games, not long enough to finish them...but enough to want to buy...you could sponsor tournaments...lots of possibilities...wish I had the capital to try it...

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Mine's officially gone. Went by one week and the parking lot was jammed, the next week, nothing. I asked my wife and she said they had signs up saying they were closed.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I went by my TRU last week, and it was still half-full, as if they hadn't sold anything since I was there a couple of weeks prior. Problem is, action figures were still just 10% off, legos 5% off. WTF Mattel! How do they expect to clear out the remnants at near MSRP... or in the case of Marvel Legends, 10% off a price that's been jacked up by 10%... so basically normal price.

Seriously, I don't get it. If you can't beat amazon prices while liquidating inventory, you're just wasting everyone's time. If you're going to liquidate, at least do it properly.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Malls are fine for seasonal pop-ups, but I should hope they don't set up shop permanently at mall locations.

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
That would make sense.

I'd like to see them be IN TARGET! Like CVS and the Optical things you see now.. carve out a section of the store and label it KB Toys and move all your toy shit over there instead of the middle of the store. It would be interesting to see a store laid out like that.. it'd be like a mini mall inside 1 store.

One of my local Targets just did a crazy redesign and it looks like a damn Macys now, it's really weird, with a much more 'open' style, lower shelves, etc. It's very different.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
That's how Macy's & other large mall stores run. Each section is really a smaller store run by a company that you never heard of (vendors)

That's why you can't purchase electronics in the shoe section even if there is no line there.

Why the never updated their system who knows

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
I do like that Target is mostly all run as 1. You can buy food and clothes in Electronics, if they'll let you. They usually let me check out there if I only have a few things.

Optical was the same, with the same Target receipt, even though the eye doctor technically doesn't work for Target.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I can check out my Target stuff at their Starbucks here. I obviously don’t unless it’s one or two items and I happen to be getting coffee, but it sure is nice.

Our Halloween pop-ups turn into Christmas pop-ups within a week or two of trick or treating, so it’ll be interesting to see where KB lands. Hopefully not in the pop-up shops at our mall.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
They are only paying the lease for the most profitable months. so I'm supposing they do pretty well. There's a pop up calendar and toy store that comes around for the holidays each year at our nice mall. This year it closed up early, I assume because they sold enough to get out of dodge ahead of the previous years. I usually wait until January to go get a half priced calendar there, apparently now at my peril as the economy continues to thrive under Trumponomics...

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gonna roll into mine today and see if there happens to be any Mayka brick tape left, and maybe grab a basket or piece of signage. Pretty bummed.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I just saw an article on the MSN page saying all the remaining stores were closing either today or tomorrow.

But from what I've read on FB, the ones in Canada and foreign countries are actually staying put.