Toys R Us to close 200 more stores.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
My wife called moments ago saying that ours is now closed. The sign read "Thanks for the memories". Bummer.

Some other company bought the international rights or something so they're staying open, it's only the US version that's going kaput.
Actually, the UK and Aussie branches are in liquidation proceedings as well, IIRC. I think only Canada is staying open. But they have no Targets. While I love TRU, I think I'll take that trade.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Missed my shot, they were closed. I guess the local store wrapped it up on the 28th. At least I've got legit memories of the store. RIP, Geoffery.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Say what you want, but 25% of toys that did sell here were sold at TrU.
That's not an inconsequential number, but 1) that number was dwindling all the time & 2) it's not like those sales are going to vanish... they're just going to spread out to WM, Target, and Amazon. I seriously doubt the toy market is going to contract in any meaningful way.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Actually, the the casualties are gonna be the small manufacturers that were only in TrU. Now they've got to try and get into Walmart and Target stores that have shrinking toy departments.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I agree they'll have some difficulties given the limited number of outlets they had to begin with. However, the way the internet levels the playing field, losing TRU is not nearly as detrimental to those little guys as it would have been 15-20 years ago.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I'm surprised there isn't a better toy-focused internet portal. Amazon is okay, but they're still all over the place, especially with the 3rd party sellers. TRU online was mostly a shit-show.

Hasbro should just go balls deep with their own website and sell direct with discounts/etc. Then again.. GI JOE isn't even listed on there was one of their brands..

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
The Hasbro site was always lousy with their GI Joe section (and kind of terrible in general). (Back then) You couldn't see anything that was out of stock, so it was hard to tell what they even carried. I also remember their shipping was wonky too. I haven't been there since Joe wound down so I don't know if it's gotten better or not.

I'll say I haven't found any of the major toy retailers' (Amazon, TRU, Wally, Tarjay) particularly user friendly, unless you are searching for the super popular stuff by name. I think BBTS has/has the best interface I dealt with overall. You get what you pay for after all I guess.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yeah, I can't believe how much I spent on Joes back then. But, hey, there really was nothing like finding the big score on something so nostalgic! And it was fun passing them along to my kids too, even though they never really took to them entirely. I always felt like I was giving up when I ordered from BBTS, at least until they started clearancing stuff. I hated paying that much, but as things dried up at retail, sometimes it was the only way...

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
When I discovered BBTS and later HasbroToyStore.. and buying whole waves in 1 box.. man that was a time saver. Not nearly as fun as finding stuff in the wild.. but so nice after a while of things being picked over. But.. whew.. I remember it was like $110 a box or some nonsense.

$5 figures were the glory days. The 2/$10 sales were nice too.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Thinking of sales always makes me think of Monkey Depot!

I miss cheap everything. But yeah, finding new Joes in the wild was awesome, but after it became "a thing" and every wank and scalper was on the lookout, it wasn't fun anymore. But I still have a crap-ton of 25th Joes still carded, probably two full sets at least. I opened a ton of figures a couple of years ago, value be damned, but I kept the set I planned to keep MOC and the set I bought for my son (who doesn't care). I'll probably end up selling them when he goes to college.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Oh Monkey depot.. if only I'd spent another $1000 on HMMWVs! I chuckle that we STILL debated if the prices were too high. It was like $6 a HMMWV or something! Pattons.. Bulldogs.. I never did get any of the planes, as they seemed "too expensive".

I still remember that random hobby shop in Florida I think that had a ton of BBI birds.. I think that was in the old Hisstank BBI thread.. I remember the guy wasn't even on the internet and we all had to call in our orders.. I feel bad that I don't have either of my BBI planes from him anymore :(

For Joes.. I ended up going through and only keeping 1 MOC set of the FOIL figures.. once they went to the "comic" "tv show" etc I opened or sold all of those. I'll probably keep the foil moc set as it reminds me of ARAH and is cheaper than tracking down actual ARAH era figures.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Which is funny, as vintage ARAH figures did not have foil printing. Back in the day, the letters were white, just like the "comic" "tv show" versions. I kept some of each, although I didn't have a formal system about which to set aside. I was usually more concerned with which version of the figure was "better", and a lot of those early foil versions were the dreaded diaper crotches.

It shouldn't matter if you're not opening them, but I hated the diaper crotches so much that I don't even want to see them in the package. In retrospect, WTF was hasbro thinking? Those early figures were pretty poor even by hasbro standards. And the running changes and variants... they don't pull shenanigans like that much anymore. They do a running change in Marvel Legends occasionally, but it doesn't cause mass varaint hysteria like Yellow Stalker or some of those other oddball mistakes in the 25th line. Those were heady days.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah I just didn't like the little call out box on top for the comic/tv/etc. I also thought the foil looked classier! Haha I think it was only the first 5 waves or so. I liked the other figures better as figures.. But these are just moc to be stashed away for someone to sell them when I die..

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
They put a Halloween City up in the old TrU, so I had occasion to wander through the building again. You could still see some of the TRU shelf stripping on some of the shelving, and they still had the monthly notice board in the entryway. The "best" part was looking at the sections of floor that sat under the shelving units for 23 years. The remains of a 1996 coupon for some unknown product line was pretty poignant.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I read a couple of different articles about a possible TRU return, and while it makes a good headline, I didn't read anything that was too optimistic. No physical locations, no stock, no credit, no good-will with suppliers, no distribution network.

I think it's a major uphill battle, and even if it does return, it won't be anytime soon. The wounds are still fresh, and the business plan is still flawed. Until the market changes or someone devises a way to make an actual toy-only store profitable, I can help but see a return as more than wishful thinking. Maybe they'll lease the name to some pop-ups or something, but a full return anytime soon would be all but impossible.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Leaving a $10 billion hole in the toy industry is obviously enough for the investors to reconsider the $5 billion in debt. I do not believe a stand alone toy store will work long term unless it has activities inside. Like a McDonald's funland playground and stations where you can play with the latest toys. Hell, make a race track for all those Power Wheels vehicles they had. It has to be an event, a burn off of energy for the kids and a reward for the parents to get them to drive there over Walmart or Target.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Demo and activity stations, a la LEGO Stores would be a good idea. It's a nice thought, but I think TrU is dead in the US market.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Doubtful Hasbro will be willing to extend product to TRU for a long time.

Hasbro is working hard to recover from the impact created by Toys”R”Us Bankruptcy. It was reported that a loss of $61.4 million was associated with the unfortunate event. With this loss, Hasbro posted a total $112.5 million loss in Q1 2018 results.

“The Hasbro teams executed extremely well during a challenging first quarter,” said Brian Goldner, Hasbro’s chairman and chief executive officer. “Hasbro brands are resonating with consumers and consumer takeaway is positive. However, as we discussed earlier in the year, our first quarter was expected to be difficult. We are working to put the near-term disruption from Toys”R”Us behind us. Our global retailers view this as an opportunity in a key consumer category and are partnering with Hasbro to develop growth plans for our brands. New Hasbro initiatives shipping in this quarter and beyond won’t be caught up in the Toys”R”Us liquidation process. With the rapid shift to a converged retail environment, we accelerated plans we originally had spread throughout the year to transform our commercial organization on a more immediate basis.”

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
No doubt. But I think Mattel had a bigger loss, as they had even more stock tied up at TRU. I really thought Mattel's losses could open the door for them to get bought by Hasbro, but that hasn't materialized yet. And let's face it, without those two, a toy store would be comprised of Lego plus Jakks Pacific and some other d-list brands. It would be DOA.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Doubtful Hasbro will be willing to extend product to TRU for a long time.

Hasbro is working hard to recover from the impact created by Toys”R”Us Bankruptcy. It was reported that a loss of $61.4 million was associated with the unfortunate event. With this loss, Hasbro posted a total $112.5 million loss in Q1 2018 results.

“The Hasbro teams executed extremely well during a challenging first quarter,” said Brian Goldner, Hasbro’s chairman and chief executive officer. “Hasbro brands are resonating with consumers and consumer takeaway is positive. However, as we discussed earlier in the year, our first quarter was expected to be difficult. We are working to put the near-term disruption from Toys”R”Us behind us. Our global retailers view this as an opportunity in a key consumer category and are partnering with Hasbro to develop growth plans for our brands. New Hasbro initiatives shipping in this quarter and beyond won’t be caught up in the Toys”R”Us liquidation process. With the rapid shift to a converged retail environment, we accelerated plans we originally had spread throughout the year to transform our commercial organization on a more immediate basis.”
I wouldn't want to carry Hasbro's shite products anyway.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
You'd be hard pressed to run a successful mainstream toy store without Star Wars, Marvel, Transformers, Nerf, Tonka, Playskool, My Little Pony, Play-Doh, Power Rangers, etc.

Your store would be a sad place. I would definitely want to grow up and not be a KTRU-kid. :p

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Children's Palace was a treat, but pretty expensive as I recall. I only ever went to one a couple times (Hagerstown, MD, as I recall) as a kid, as we lived well away from where they were located. Joe was on the slow decline by the time I made it to one, but they still had a half aisle dedicated to it.

As I was remembering that, it struck me that I'm pretty sure I never made it to a TRU until I was an adult. They were pretty confined to the cities. We had Kay Bee in the malls and department stores (Hills, Murphys, Ames, K-mart) mainly, and the occasional auto parts shop with a toy section or seasonal fare at Sears/JC Penneys.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
You'd be hard pressed to run a successful mainstream toy store without Star Wars, Marvel, Transformers, Nerf, Tonka, Playskool, My Little Pony, Play-Doh, Power Rangers, etc.

Your store would be a sad place. I would definitely want to grow up and not be a KTRU-kid. :p
I'd be hard pressed to believe SW figures actually sell, at least well enough to justify all the real estate TrU dedicated to them. Obviously they must, but they just don't seem like it. Takara and 3rd parties do TFs better than Hasbro ever will, and Hasbro MLs don't seem to be THAT much better than ToyBiz's.

I know what Hasbro is actually capable of, and maybe that's why I hate their lazy fucking ass?

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
We didn't have a TRU till about 1991, right when I was graduating from high school. We did have what I assume was an early try at either establishing a foothold or maybe it was an early version of a "pop-up" version of TRU back in 1985/86. It opened in a little store just right before Christmas and only lasted till a month or two after, then it was gone. I remember being amazed at what all they had, even though we did have a Kay Bee toys, this TRU, even though small, seemed to have all sorts of exotic stuff. I bought, and still have, my purchases from there. A bootleg Ravage cassette and a bootleg Robotech veritech 3.75" fighter that actually transforms. Now that I think about it, I find it pretty odd they had so many bootlegs. I don't know if it was because they were trying to cash in on all things that even looked like Transformers, or that it was a temporary store, or because it was the 80's.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Actually, I don't think the cassette I bought was a bootleg, but an actual product from Takara before it was repackaged for the American market. For what that's worth.