Toys R Us to close 200 more stores.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I'd be hard pressed to believe SW figures actually sell, at least well enough to justify all the real estate TrU dedicated to them. Obviously they must, but they just don't seem like it. Takara and 3rd parties do TFs better than Hasbro ever will, and Hasbro MLs don't seem to be THAT much better than ToyBiz's.
Mass-market TFs aren't aimed at the 3P/MP market. While I don't have any interest in Hasbro's current TF products, kids and fans of the movies certainly do. WM and Target have no problem moving their products, so I don't know why a dedicated toy store would struggle with those relative to anything else.

And they seem to sell enough star wars everywhere else too. I don't know why a new venture wouldn't either.

------------------
I couldn't disagree more about Marvel Legends. As someone who owns probably 60-70% of every ML ever made (and probably 99% of the sculpts/bucks), I can say with great certainty that current Hasbro ML's are orders of magnitude better figures, better sculpts than anything Toybiz ever imagined in their wildest wet dreams. I fully admit that early Hasbro legends were complete garbage... because they were mostly reusing a lot of TB designs/tooling. The sculpting was really poor, proportions were awkward, and the inordinate number of unnecessary PoA/hinges made them an ugly, floppy mess. And those ball-hips, ugh.

However, about 5-6 years ago, they turned a corner. Face sculpts improved dramatically, and on movie figures, they're using digital face printing much like their far more expensive import brethern. They got rid of those heinous ball hip joints, and they improved figure proportions in a major way. The modern hasbro figures make me proud to display them. The toybiz bow-legged nightmares make we want to burn them with fire. These days, TB figures look like bad mexican knockoffs.

1538748615900.png

1538748690245.png

1538748719690.png

1538748802197.png

1538748843925.png

1538748983435.png

1538750798278.png

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Feels like we are moving towards miniature malls in big box buildings. The idea is fine by me, but the small size will make them stick to the most popular toys and we’ll end up copies of Walmart and Target toy departments. Also sounds like they will be mostly filled with their own brands you can’t buy anywhere else, taking away our collectibles space.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
The way the 3rd party Transformers market is humming along and turning an eye towards the Baybots tells me the youngins are willing to shell out cash if they like the property. Most of them probably just by those stupid POP thingies though.