What are you drinking?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I had some Birch Beer from Hank's soda the other day, and it was good.

Really aren't any exotic soda options 'round here. We do have easy access to cane sugar Doctor Pepper, though, and in glass bottles, no less.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
i've heard of Hanks, but havent seen it roun here...i usually find exotic sodas, root beer mostly, at premium grociers...and interestingly enough, at Home Goods...Cost Plus World Market has a good selection also if you have them near you

Birch beer and sasperilla are great...but so far, my fave is Dads rootbeer...

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I tried Hank's Philadelphia recipe Root Beer, too, and as far as i could tell it only tasted like root beer with a bit of what may have been vanilla in it.

I'd kill to get sarsaparilla here.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Not quite yet here, but much closer to it than it is back home...

...And capping it off with my other long time friend, Mr. Bailey(s)... craving some ice cream...

Loving my life right now, probably not so much once I board... :D

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah.. yeah..

I was going to make a new one, but there was this one.. just sitting out there.. so might as well put it back in use.

--------------

What is everyone drinking these days?

I am now t(se)xting pcsguy88 almost daily about my newfound love of Scotch (scotchy scotch scotch!). He turned me on to Balvenie scotch.. and it's really good. I'm about half through the bottle and looking to get more.

Somehow when I hit the late 30s I suddenly have a desire for 'finer' alcohol instead of just getting plastered on the cheapest I can find.

I got a 3 pack case of Glenlivit that I haven't opened yet.. 12, 15, 18 year bottles.

I've also been on a fancy Rum kick lately.. had no idea there were "sipping rums" instead of just mixers.

DIPLOMATICO RUM RESERVA EXCLUSIVA (https://www.totalwine.com/spirits/rum/aged-rum/diplomatico-rum-reserva-exclusiva/p/126262750?s=1107&igrules=true) is amazingly good.

What say ye?

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
My fave cola has become Jarrito's. But like all other non-Coke or Pepsi brands, it's difficult to find. They fight hard to keep their cola monopoly.

Best root beer is Bulldog. Made with honey!

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I see Jarrito's at pretty much every mexican joint, but the grocery store only seems to carry a couple of flavors.

I almost exclusively drink Clear American Cherry Limeade. No caffeine, no sugar, no calories, no sodium, no color... just lightly carbonated cherry/lime goodness. I've tried some of their other flavors, which are ok I guess, but Cherry Limeade is clearly the best. I buy multiple cases at a time.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Been doing some Fireball and the like lately. Not bad to warm you up in the winter. Still like rum (usually the cheaper local rum and beer wherever I happen to be) when it's hot and certain wines in between.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Wine is certainly something I am not adept enough to understand the difference between.. I like it.. but give me a $5 bottle and a $100 bottle and I doubt I can tell the difference. I'm a white wine and ice kinda sissy in the summer.

Rums:

The aforementioned Diplomatico is probably the best I've had so far.
Pyrat isn't bad, but needs to breathe a bit as it comes out pretty strong.
Kraken is probably my favorite for mixing, it packs a punch.
Sailor Jerrys is probably pretty close to Kraken.
Four Square is.. it's really odd. It's strong, but has a teensey tiny aftertaste. Could get you in trouble for sure.
All the other standard stuff, Bacardi, Captain Morgans, etc is fine for rum & cokes.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I drink $10 bottles of red blends for wine. Since they blend to a formulated flavor once you find a few you like, the consistency is always there. I’ve been educated in many a winery and definitely taste the difference in a $100 bottle, but 95% of the time I go for the blends. Apothic reds makes for some good times with the lady.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
As for rums, I tend to try whatever is local to where I am when I can. Been spending some time in the Caribbean lately so I've gotten some decent stuff from Barbados and Jamaica. I brought home some overproof stuff from Jamaica that I'm still trying to work down through. That takes a little getting used to, and I'm afraid to overdo it. I probably wouldn't buy that again, but it was worth a shot :p. I'd say my favorite is still El Dorado from Guyana. That seems to be the one thing they do well in that country...

For wine, I prefer the sweet stuff over dry, but you can't always get much AC from that, so I usually start from the highest AC and work down to the best combo of sweet and AC. I'll often mix up a cooler type drink to sip on with snacks on a Friday night, particularly if I'm out of rum/other. I can find stuff that's okay in any price range, but I'd say the $10 range is probably the sweet spot. I'm no connoisseur, so I don't bother with anything much more expensive than that, unless I'm getting it for free on a plane. I've had pretty good stuff from Chile, Australia, Argentina, South Africa and other places that I'd never bother tracking down back home. My wife really likes Moscato (as do I), so we'll have that fairly often as well.