What's everybody up to?

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I mean I suppose Social Media and Media in general is more influential than college these days.. AND you get to hit a much larger percentage of the population.

College is just for the people they want to groom to take over the reigns down the road :)

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I get the whole "indoctrination" idea... but I honestly feel that's only a thing in liberal arts circles. In engineering classes, we didn't discuss politics, religion, or any other hot-button issues of the sort. The general idea pushed upon us is that math and the laws of nature don't give a shit about people problems.

In college, the people running for student body president and this council and that organization were ALL sociology, foreign language, and political science majors. Never did a single engineering student ever run for those positions. You know why? We were way too damn busy. No engineers had enough free time to take up a cause, march, protest, run for student government, or any of that other hippie-dippy baloney. Math has no causes!

No, that shit was reserved for people taking bullshit majors who weren't going to add to society in the end anyway. So, IMO, it really depends on what you're going to school for whether or not you're going to get the full brainwash treatment. You need college for STEM degrees.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I remember having to take a couple questionable electives, but yeah, not much time for the annoying stuff at my little school. Another reason why I didn't miss being at the main campus...

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I will say, getting the social aspect of college is nice. I moved away from home for 2 years of my community college.. and it was nice getting out on my own and doing stuff. In retrospect I'd of loved to do the dorm thing and all that.. I had some friends who went to the big college near me, so I visited them from time to time.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Oh, the dorm part is nice, all that bonding with new people who are basically in the same boat as you. Kind of a foxhole mentality. Of course there were some weirdos, but they typically flame out or go another direction pretty quickly.

My best friends in the world are a half-dozen of my freshmen year dorm-mates. Several of us (plus wives and kids) got together over the holidays when we were passing through TX. It was so much fun seeing them all, catching up, telling stories. I laughed so much my face was sore. We try to do it every year because it's just so therapeutic. It's amazing how seeing those people again, you just slip right into your old self, as if you never left and zero time has passed.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
I get the whole "indoctrination" idea... but I honestly feel that's only a thing in liberal arts circles. In engineering classes, we didn't discuss politics, religion, or any other hot-button issues of the sort. The general idea pushed upon us is that math and the laws of nature don't give a shit about people problems.

In college, the people running for student body president and this council and that organization were ALL sociology, foreign language, and political science majors. Never did a single engineering student ever run for those positions. You know why? We were way too damn busy. No engineers had enough free time to take up a cause, march, protest, run for student government, or any of that other hippie-dippy baloney. Math has no causes!

No, that shit was reserved for people taking bullshit majors who weren't going to add to society in the end anyway. So, IMO, it really depends on what you're going to school for whether or not you're going to get the full brainwash treatment. You need college for STEM degrees.
I've read quite frequently that the SJW crap is a requirement nowadays at most colleges regardless of degree. I mean, it's been what, 20'ish years since we were in school? Things supposedly changed a LOT.

gman5004

Call me Garrison
Oct 11, 2016
Pasco, Washington
Im kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place in terms of after graduation. I want to join the military, and always have, but understandably my parents are almost 100% against it. They want me to go to college, get a degree, blah blah boring shit. My family has always been a military family. Almost every war since the civil war, you can find someone in my family who served in it. I almost feel like its a requirement, I guess, for me to join. And I also dont wanna go a route ill regret the rest of my life. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. I still got a few years, though.

dannyc

Resident Cuban
Jan 28, 2012
miami
Considering that they've turned them into indoctrination centers, I'm really surprised that they haven't made it more affordable as opposed to less. You'd think that they'd want as many malleable minds in there as possible. I guess that's what the push for "free" college is all about.
My college is hard on indoctrinating it’s students but there’s also a small contingent of us republicans who hold out against protests. Funny two people I know were failed by professors just because they viewed things a little different than their own and one of them is now joining the marines for OCS because the professor torpedoed his chance at doctorate school for psychology

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
That kind of thing is another reason it's smart to go to school in an environment you are friendly with (i.e. conservative or Christian). While it's wonderful to "expand your horizons," having some jackass professor fail you because you don't share their world view is not acceptable, ever. It's no wonder the value of a college education has diminished rapidly over the past few decades. People who have any self/environmental awareness at all know that it's mostly just BS (pardon the pun), and by no means dictates a person's actual capabilities in an actual career environment.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
That kind of thing is another reason it's smart to go to school in an environment you are friendly with (i.e. conservative or Christian). While it's wonderful to "expand your horizons," having some jackass professor fail you because you don't share their world view is not acceptable, ever. It's no wonder the value of a college education has diminished rapidly over the past few decades. People who have any self/environmental awareness at all know that it's mostly just BS (pardon the pun), and by no means dictates a person's actual capabilities in an actual career environment.
My college is hard on indoctrinating it’s students but there’s also a small contingent of us republicans who hold out against protests. Funny two people I know were failed by professors just because they viewed things a little different than their own and one of them is now joining the marines for OCS because the professor torpedoed his chance at doctorate school for psychology

Ya know, this reminds me of a movie called The Male Animal. Behind the rom-com shenanigans, there's a subplot about the main character reading a letter to one of his classes that puts a major bee-in-the-bonnet of the administration and alumni board. Anyway, the aforementioned groups are portrayed as out-of-touch fuddy-duddies that are pressuring this professor to not do the lecture. 70+ years on, I view it with no small amount of irony that that exact kind of suppression is really happening on college campuses, except it's "open-minded" and "free-thinking" liberals doing the jack-booted shit.

It's a pretty good little flick, Henry Fonda aside.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Sheeeeeiiiit, no. I've got a LEGO backlog I won't make any headway on. Probably just wait for Marauder to tease another WWII figure. It doesn't help that I long ago forgot what fun even is.

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
It's FRIDAY. Thank goodness.. another week down the drain.. time to try to enjoy two fleeting days.

Anyone have anything fun planned for the weekend?
Same as always...few adult beverages...bad TV and getting up too earlier after because of the kids.

Deslock

Enlisted
Mar 16, 2014
Tennessee
www.darksidealliance.com
EA Star Wars Battlefront if anyone's on my X-Box1, if not, I'll be on ESO: Morrowind on my PS4. I need to finish up some of my sets for my Toy Theater, but I'm just too tired from staying up all night with the baby. Need some desperately needed time off to get re-motivated.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Finished off the remnant of a bottle of Jack and watching John Wick 2. I've seen at least part of it before on a plane, but don't remember if I've seen how it ends. There wasn't all that much left in the bottle, so I should remember tomorrow... :p

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Trying to finish the final season of Orphan Black, opening some CoD Megabloks and clearanced Marvel Legends, and like KT, trying to whittle down the backlog of brick-based projects. I've got so many, I can't even decide where to start. But that didn't stop me from ordering more from Aliexpress today. It's a sickness.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
No clue where to put this, but it would be cool for kids that play with figures. No idea how long the cardboard it's likely made of would hold up to "little monsters".

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I know we've talked about this before, but gawd do I hate situations where I'm required to buy my wife a gift. I have absolutely no clue what to get her. She gets what she wants whenever she wants it unless it's "out of our means". I can't get her clothes or shoes or jewelry. I have in the past and I ALWAYS fail. My taste is different than hers. She either pretends and never wears what I got her or exchanges.

It's so freaking pointless. But if you don't put in some effort to get her something even when she has no clue what I should get her, I'm not thoughtful. :hulk:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
No and no. She horseback rides regularly, but there's only so much horse crap I can get the girl.

Like we've mentioned before (Christmas time?), I'm racking my brain to get her something just to get her something. :grumpy:

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Man, I don't know. That's tough. My wife and I just don't buy each other presents for that exact reason. We buy what we want, and we don't want to have to exchange, return, or pretend. Plus thinking of ideas is hard.

For her birthday and mother's day, I get her little things (she loves trinkets from the home-depot checkout isle) and let the kids give it to her just so they can have the joy of getting mom something. But for valentines and x-mas, I buy nothing. Seriously. She even thinks flowers are a waste b/c they'll be dead in a week. That kind of practicality is one of the many reasons I love her.

Concert tickets? Trip to an art exhibit, museum, or attraction? Run across the Canadian border for some moose-tipping? She has to have some interest besides horses. A real camera to photograph horses? Blow up her favorite photo onto a big canvas (assuming it's something you wouldn't hate looking at in your living room). Agree to make a baby? - it's the gift that keeps on taking! :laugh:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Oh gawd those things are delicious! We got some dip called, I think, Drain-o? Yeah, pretty sure that's it, but man is it good!

The gift that keeps on taking. My line of thinking exactly! Or the gift that keeps on disappointing.

My woman has never had interest in flowers either. She'd rather have the money spent on something useful that'll last longer than a few days, "like a shirt". Yeah, I'm not gambling on that ever again. May as well get her flowers.

Really, she doesn't want anything normal. What I suspect she wants is unrealistic grand romantic gestures that romance movies and social media have programmed women to think they deserve for every occasion. She just wants to feel special, so it's not about the gift at all. It's about the effort. :whatever: She takes the near $200 dinner for granted because we've been doing it for so many years. :grumpy:

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Ok, you're screwed. If it's your first v-day together, sure, do the whole rom-com grand gesture routine. When you've been married for over a decade, that's horseshit (no pun intended). There's only so many John Cusack movies to imitate.

My wife doesn't even want to go out. Crowds? Overpriced food? She would rather stay at home and go out some other random time. Grand gesture.... pffttt. You slay me, Eddie. Is it at least a two-way street? Are you on the receiving end of a grand gesture every year?

It's not that we're not romantic in our own ways, but the hallmark version of how this "holiday" is supposed to go down is so stupid. I think we go out of our way to spend as little as possible to even exist on that day just to buck the trend.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
That's where you miss out being MNKs. Having the kids takes at least some of the focus (and thereby the pressure) off. When you have these other humans to look after, it draws out a level of necessary practicality and helps divert that self mentality. Maybe a puppy? :unsure:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I'm not even talking V-day, I'm talking about her b-day. I don't do V-day and she knows it. And a lot of the pressure is self inflicted. It's not based on her being high maintenance, it's just me knowing her and what she would love. It's knowing that even though she doesn't let on, that she is disappointed.

But you know what, you brought up something that just washed away any guilt: is it reciprocated. No, it's not. She KNOWS all of the things that would make me happy and they are free and she has no interest. Maybe it's a chicken/egg situation, I don't know.

Get bent, woman!

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Easy, fella. Don't forget you're on the same team and that she's the best thing that's ever happened to you. Also no sense introducing unnecessary drama there your majesty... :p

You guys seem to have a really functional but uncomplicated operation happening. No sense in overthinking it too much.

Ever heard of the 5 love languages? You can do really simple and inexpensive stuff in her favorite "love language" and everybody wins. She's happy, you're happy, life is good. It's worth the read/listen.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I don't think you actually took me too seriously, but just in case, yeah, I have no plans to inject undue drama into my otherwise happy marriage.

I did read the book on the love languages. My wife has read Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands, we both read a book on cheating that, while targeted towards women was still applicable for me. We definitely care about educating ourselves and getting refreshers even if some stuff does seem like common knowledge to keep what we have as healthy as possible.

I am very analytical, though and tend to overthink thinks. I try to internalize it all as much as possible, determining what would realistically get results or have some kind of impact, but I am also open.

The gift/effort thing just annoys me. Stupid society inflating expectations to absurd heights.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Ha. I didn't see the other ones. Only the first extended one. Of course I didn't watch the sports show, so it must've seemed like every commercial might end up being Tide. Well done marketing!

Did they play that first extended one early on?

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Freaking brilliant marketing. Anytime commercials were on, Tide was on the brain. I guess "brilliant" depends on if people buy more Tide.