What's everybody up to?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I occasionally see a pre-'90s beater, but they're getting uncommon. I imagine a lot of the marginally road worthy ones got scrapped in that Cash for Clunkers scam.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I once saw a truck at Wal-Mart that had a AC window unit stuck in the back window and DUCT TAPED into place. I also saw what looked like two cars welded together to make a hybrid limo.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I occasionally see a pre-'90s beater, but they're getting uncommon. I imagine a lot of the marginally road worthy ones got scrapped in that Cash for Clunkers scam.
Agreed, cash 4 clunkers probably took a lot of beaters off the roads prematurely. But I don't think it was a scam. While old classics are great, old beige-mobiles are gas-swilling death traps. I would argue that they cause more accidents, more injuries, and certainly cause more traffic problems when they break down, catch on fire, etc. There should be a perpetual cash 4 clunkers program that encourages people to ditch their rolling hazards.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I see a lot of older cars around. Pretty much the only thing older than the 90's is some pimp-mobile with crazy rims on it though. Plenty from the early '00s and a few from late 90's. I drive through the nicer areas on the way to/from work though, so I see plenty of Audis, Beemers and the occasional Porshe, Ferrari or Lambo mixed in. My new Ram is a '15, but everything else we have is over 10 years old and long paid off.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Agreed, cash 4 clunkers probably took a lot of beaters off the roads prematurely. But I don't think it was a scam. While old classics are great, old beige-mobiles are gas-swilling death traps. I would argue that they cause more accidents, more injuries, and certainly cause more traffic problems when they break down, catch on fire, etc. There should be a perpetual cash 4 clunkers program that encourages people to ditch their rolling hazards.
The pre-'90s stuff is probably better off the road, but a lot of perfectly serviceable '80s and '90s autos were thrown out with the bath water.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
So I was putting something in storage yesterday and stumbled upon the box my PS3 came in, but it felt heavier than an empty box should. Opened it up and found my PS2 that I couldn't recall where it got off to. Yay! Been having a blast playing some old games.

Apr 1, 2011
Ohio
Ok after dealing with real life grown up stuff the past couple weeks we were able to get back to some fun!!! Took some pics for the WIP action figure movie and the prequel!!! Here is a sneak peek pic. lex corp warehouse smaller.png

So I was finally able to find a 2010 AT-AT that I thought was okay. Seller wanted $150+ $23 shipping. It is missing the chin and cheek guns, the two interior support pylons/ladder, a leg strut, the interior cockpit command glass, speeder bike, the driver, and the speeder bike ejection ramp. But it did have all seven of the doors/hatches. Replacing those could cost a mint, since most sell the doors alone for about $30/$40 each.

So I sent dude an offer for $100, just because it was missing so many parts, and to my surprise, he accepted !. My wife also had a $15 off coupon, so it knocked $65 off the original price. So I scored it for $108. It arrived yesterday, and I was amazed that being 8 years old and missing so many parts, not so much as even one scratch on it, But the seller forgot to mention that the neck pinion was knocked out of place, so the head wouldn't move at all like it was supposed to. It was locked looking to the left.

So I had to take it completely apart to fix the neck, But in removing the head section from the body to repair the neck, I ripped the wires right off of the speaker by accident !. Well, last night I noticed our Wal-Mart had the old "Forcelink" sets for the action figures marked down from $25, to $5. I took a look at it and figured the speaker had to be close. So I bought one and took it apart. I cut the speaker out of it and lengthened the wires to it with some extra wire I had. Soldered it all together. and there were two small nubs I had to trim off the sides of the speaker. It was a perfect fit !. And the bonus was by replacing the 8yr. old speaker with a new one I'd say it's actually about 20/30% louder. Now to get the guns ordered. Without any guns, it's like Grandpa without his dentures !. I just wish it wasn't going to set me back about $60 to replace the chin and cheek guns ! But dude did knock off $50 off the original price, so I can't really complain.

Now to find my next grail item, the Imperial shuttle !. Heh.

Last edited:
I think my son has that AT-AT....hard to believe it came out in 2010!
That's why I was surprised that with it missing so many parts, and having the neck knocked out of alignment, other than that, this darned thing is absolutely pristine. You'd think I just took it out of the box Not one nick, scratch , marks on it....nothing. It's fantastic in regards to it's overall condition. It's kinda weird. I found a cheek gun set someone was selling for $25, and another selling repro missiles sets for $11.Now I just have to wait to find a chin gun set. No way in Hell I'm paying anyone $50 for two little plastic pieces. I'm not really all that worried about the missing interior parts just yet, as I'm just going to use this for photos for my Toy Theater. This thing is an absolute beast in regards to the size !.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Now to find my next grail item, the Imperial shuttle !. Heh.
I'm pretty sure I have a MISB shuttle from the 2006 Saga Collection in storage. I don't even know what they go for these days. I was collecting for my kids who simply don't get excited about action figures. They love legos and SW, but 3 3/4" figures just do nothing for them. I've given them plenty, and they collect dust.

I find it strange that an eight year old toy's parts are selling for so much. Are the secretly cast from gold?
Quite a bit Sir. Mine is missing the bottom hatch, I've not been lucky enough to find one under $34. The outside hatch doors run about $15/$30 per the condition. It's insane, part hunting. G.I. Joe stuff is much much cheaper overall.

I'm pretty sure I have a MISB shuttle from the 2006 Saga Collection in storage.
I envy you kind Sir, I envy you. You Lucky guy ! :)

It might be worth to to find out exactly how many GI Joe/Transformers missiles that you have laying around already fit into the chin gun.
I've been wracking my brain about this. They're almost about a 1/4 inch in diameter. If I can't find a cheap set, I might see about buying some clear plastic rod from a model shop, and see if I can't fashion something that will work. $44 plus shipping is just too much. Most are selling them individually from about $17 to $23. If I had the materials like I used to have, I'd buy one, cast it and make a mold, and sell clear repro parts of them cheaper than what they're
selling them for.

I don't get it. A lot of people think they're going to get rich off of Ebay I guess. They put stuff up at insane prices, and no one ever bids on it. I'd rather sell cheaper and make money, then rather try and wait out for that big score.
I would seriously have to question the sanity of someone that would buy a MIB AT-AT for $1,500, that originally sold for $100 just 8yrs. ago, but I guess that's just me. I'm just doing my toy theater for fun for everyone, I don't have a mint to spend like some others. Must be nice, huh ?. ;)

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Yes. People treat Ebay like it makes their stuff suddenly highly valuable....and the stuff will sit there for months with it's crazy price, the seller doesn't seem to care. I too just ran out of mold making material, or I'd make copies off my son's AT-AT parts and hook you up.

Thank you sir, I really do appreciate the thought. That's my only complaint about living so far from Nashville or Knoxville. I have to plan on getting supplies way ahead of time. I miss being able to just run over to the local hobby shop, instead of having to wait for days to buy stuff online, or do a 90 mile round trip to Cookeville.

My son has an appointment to go to Knoxville this Wednesday, I might see if I can look up any hobby shops around there and see if I can find some clear plastic rod if I can, we might run out of time.

Wow, you're not far away, I was thinking that you were closer to Chatt town. Only about 30 miles. All these years I've been on here, and I had no idea you were that close. That's so cool. :)

FYI, there is a Hobby Lobby & Hobbytown USA both in Turkey Creek along your way through west Knoxville.
I'll look that up right now. I've been on Turkey creek before, but it's been years ago. I'd probably have better luck at Hobbytown than Hobby Lobby. Hobby lobby is kinda crappy for "real" modelling supplies. There used to be a bunch in Knoxville, but they all shut down sadly, just like the poor Toys R us. Hmm, they're open until 8pm, so I don't have to worry about running late, just only keeping a 3yr. old happy, lol !. Thanks for the info !. now I can look them up on our way thru back home after his appointment. I thought they had all shut down, Appreciate that so much !.

So I was telling you guys about the Cantina bar set I was trying to get before. Well, I saw another one today, loose, with a few figures. The other one I was bidding on was MIB, and sold for about $80. This one was loose, used, with a few used figures, for $25, with about two hours left on it. So just for shits and giggles I watched it on and off until ending time. One hour to go, it shoots up to $51. Okay, two minutes to go...stays the same. The last twenty seconds, it shoots up to $110.

Can someone please explain to me just how this stupid set is SOOOO damned desirable ?. I just don't get it. I truly don't. You can buy the 3 individual pieces with the figures, in package, for like $15 each. :

Individual, in package: $15/20 each :

MIB/Loose, all together, $75-$100 :

I swear to God, it baffles the ever lovin' Hell out of me. It's shitty 5POA figures, that aren't even rare....That's why I was saying with it being originally a $20 set, I'd even be willing to go up to $50, and to me it's not even really worth that much. I just never dreamed this set would be worth that much for what it is. Am I missing something that I just don't see ?. :unsure:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I got to believe it's convenience of all three sections paired with someone doing a larger dio. My reserarch indicates these were Wal-Mart exclusives, and utter failures at retail, but like you said, they aren't rare.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
They are a fun set, that is the easiest way to build a bar. You can add as many pieces as you want since they all connect together. At this point its really the only way to get the mantis.

Keep watching the prices I got the corner pieces on Amazon when they were cheap/reasonable.

Again there is little reasoning with what people think Star Wars prices should be. With some hunting & some patences these pieces can be found for a reasonable amount.

I think the pull here is that once you start, you want to collect the whole set or at lease enough to make it worth it.

Plus if you have to much time on your hands you can do this.....

That was a cute video, me and the wife really enjoyed that. Stopped by that Hobbytown. Really nice store.But *whew*...I'd forgotten just how expensive those places are. They did have that wonderful Bruder ambulance I've been drooling over, but once again, not cheap. But it was a very nice store with a great selection. Thank you for telling me about it !. It was fun just going thru and seeing all the stuff they had.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Glad you had time to check it out!

Yeah, none of those places are "internet-cheap". But it's a really nice store, family owned, and they have a pretty great selection. I get all my paints, styrene plastics, and other hobby junk there. The wife loves looking at all the educational stuff. They have classes on fixing R/C vehicles, Magic tournaments, and are always running some kind of promotion if you're on their email list.

While I do cringe at my total every time I leave, I'd be more sad if they were gone... as there is nowhere else in the area to get a lot of that stuff offline.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Running a small business is hard. This morning I sit down at my desk and receive this email from my business web hosting service:

Dear (nacho),​

Unfortunately, after extensive evaluation by our migration engineers, we have determined that we will not be able to migrate your account to the Site 5 technology platform. Your account will remain hosted on the old platform, which is scheduled to be taken offline on July 30th.​

Oh, so the migration they didn't tell me was happening, isn't happening. Good to know. Oh, my entire business site will vanish from the face of the earth in less than three days... also good to know. Wait, WHAT?!

It's a full blown code-brown at my desk today.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I have spent the morning identifying a replacement hosting service that supports the protocol/language we use, and I'm in the process of backing up from the old service, signing up with the new service, transferring domains, and will eventually upload all of my site to the new company and WISH really really hard that nothing breaks in the migration.

The biggest problem is that our site is mostly used around the first of the month (a few days on either side) because that's when all our customers' rent is due. So I'm approaching a time where we have a stampede of hundreds of customers trying to pay us, and if the site is down, it's a problem for everyone involved.

The real issue is that even if I get everything set up and running perfectly, a domain transfer can take days to propagate through all the nameservers in the universe. Thus I could be in a situation where the old site is down, the new site is up, and people's browsers will still be directed to the old non-existent hosting server. This isn't a problem when you have more than three days notice... but given so little time to react and the fact that our busy time is looming, my pucker-factor is at 11.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
Sounds like your web service is run by Expess Scripts.

Guess who I been yelling at for 2 FUCKING DAYS!!!!!!
Ha ha we changed your perscription, so you can't have the refill you need, but we won't give you the thing we changed it to because we aren't actually allowed to do that. If you get your meds with anyone else We will charge you $800 for them, so have our $20 generic which may or may not have some kind of meds in them. (talc) Oh by the way a week ago when you called we told you everything was OK, sucker! It now a week later now that you have no meds we won't acknowledge the Doctor's authorations & prescriptions that they faxed us everyday for a week.

May the rotten bastards rot in hell.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I feel for you! I've dealt with them in the past. I took a medication that had to be cold-pack shipped to me, and it was not something I could get at a pharmacy. The circus act that I had to go through, between them and the insurance, was mind-numbing. Fortunately, I developed an immunity to that drug and had to be switched off to something even harder to acquire. Now I have to go to a doctor's office every two months to have the drug dripped into my arm. The insurance pays for the drug, but they won't pay for the nurse to actually administer it.

I *think* I have my website transferred to it's new home. I'm in the excruciating sit-around-waiting-for-the-nameservers-to-update-so-I-can-see-what-broke-during-migration phase.