What's everybody up to?

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Ironically, from what I was told by an almost neighbor, you aren’t supposed to kill the turkey buzzards around here. You can discourage them off your property or something like that (paintball guns?). But I have not heard that officially, and don’t want to, just in case they ever become a nuisance. They really do clean up the leftovers right quick. There was next to nothing left of my first one when I put yesterday's remains down in the woods. They also clean up the roads and such from all the stuff that gets run over (I suppose that's why they get a pass). Saw a couple going to town on a fox carcass along a road earlier today.

I was never a hunter until this year, despite growing up in areas where hunting was a near religion. I was never very excited to go off somewhere to kill and drag in an animal when you could just go get meat at the store (though I never minded eating it when offered). But being able to meat shop out the back is too beneficial to pass up. Venison is very healthy, natural meat, and part of why we moved out here was to be able to do more off the land. Besides, there’s a strong possibility what I pass up back here would get laid out and wasted on the road, potentially at high cost. So I’m okay with it (rather enjoy most parts of it). There really isn’t much else that is as satisfying as a delicious meal a significant part of which you killed, butchered and prepared from right off your own property.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Apparently the key to removing the gaminess is getting all the silver (fat) off the meat and letting it age before freezing it. My wife has spent days cutting up the meat and it's paid off, at least with the first one we've ~halfway consumed. So far we've had pot roast, sausage, sloppy joes and stroganoff from it. Not even a little gamey. I think she soaked some of it in milk or cream, and the two nicer dishes were prepared in the crock pot. All that helps I'm sure. And sloppy joe mix covers a lot (if that were necessary). Similar with the sausage I suppose. We added beef fat (cut from steaks) to the ground meat. That's pretty much critical to having ground meat that is workable and not dry. It also helps that both deer I've gotten so far have been young. The meat has been super tender.

The first deer was completely off guard when I took the shot. That is supposed to help it be less gamey. Seems to have been true. The second one had just been chased with four others (I have no idea how long) by a hunting dog (not mine), so its adrenaline had to have been up. We'll see when we get to that meat whether it'll impact the flavor or not. If so, it'll be more joes and sausage, and less of the fancier stuff I suppose.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Drove up to northern VA today to attend the funeral of an old friend who died way too young. She was one of the kindest, most authentic and decent people I ever met. She lost her fight with her third round of cancer. Left a husband and two kids behind. Got to see some other old friends that we hadn’t seen in way too long as well. 𝐋𝐢𝐟𝐞 is short, fellas. Live right. She certainly did.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
This is how the Fighting 118th dies. Thanks EU.

https://gizmodo.com/tech-giants-wake-up-to-eu-copyright-plan-that-threatens-1830861206

Article 11, better known as a “link tax,” would require online platforms to purchase a license to link out to other sites or quotes from articles. That’s the part that threatens the free spread of information.

Article 13 dictates that online platforms install some sort of monitoring system that lets copyright holders upload their work for automatic detection. If something sneaks by the system’s filters, the platform could face full penalties for copyright infringement. For example, a SpongeBob meme could be flagged and blocked because of its source image belonging to Nickelodeon; or a dumb vlog could be flagged and blocked because there’s a sponge in the background and the dumb filter thought it was SpongeBob.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Honestly, I just assume that the draconian EU measures only apply to EU IP addresses. Why would tech companies cripple themselves and the internet in markets that don't require stuck ridiculous filtering? And if someone uses a VPN or finds a work-around using an IP address from a country where the content is legal, can the hosts realistically be found liable? I really feel like lawmakers have zero clue about hos the internet works.

If the EU wants to kneecap itself, why the hell would the rest of the world not simply laugh at them and continue as normal? Since when do they dictate policy to us on a network platform we invented? That's absurd, and I hope that tech companies simply pull out and leave the EU in the dark ages for about six months until they realize their folly.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Deep state trying to track and/or squash memes?
Exactly what I thought when I read that line in the article with the knowledge that memes are used to bypass social media censorship.

Honestly, I just assume that the draconian EU measures only apply to EU IP addresses. Why would tech companies cripple themselves and the internet in markets that don't require stuck ridiculous filtering? And if someone uses a VPN or finds a work-around using an IP address from a country where the content is legal, can the hosts realistically be found liable? I really feel like lawmakers have zero clue about hos the internet works.

If the EU wants to kneecap itself, why the hell would the rest of the world not simply laugh at them and continue as normal? Since when do they dictate policy to us on a network platform we invented? That's absurd, and I hope that tech companies simply pull out and leave the EU in the dark ages for about six months until they realize their folly.
After most of those big companies have already received record fines from the EU for other nonsense, I'm sure they do not want to deal with the liability these new laws will create. What concerns me is if the UN hops on board this bandwagon, which of course they will. And then our new Dem president will embrace it in a few years.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
After most of those big companies have already received record fines from the EU for other nonsense, I'm sure they do not want to deal with the liability these new laws will create. What concerns me is if the UN hops on board this bandwagon, which of course they will. And then our new Dem president will embrace it in a few years.
I suspect the opposite. I think the EU is the canary in the coalmine, and after their restrictions have a profoundly negative impact on their internet as they know it, I think they will reverse course post haste. Our pols will see the unhappy voters over there and not want to repeat those same mistakes here... because that's going to be a fast-track to getting beat next election.

Every time there are new laws like this, there is much hand wringing, but people find a way. I remember when they shut down napster and everyone thought that was the end of free music. And then they came for thepiratebay and free movies. It's funny how morons with no functional knowledge of technical things assume they can easily regulate those same things. It never ends well, and it's never successful.

The internet and all that has grown from it are far bigger than some EU flunkies getting PAC money from news conglomerates pissed about people quoting their articles. I just hope the tech companies push back and make the EU people squeal loud enough that no one tries this again for a long time.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I agree with you both of your logical conclusions which is exactly why I think it goes the other way. The Dems swear memes won the election for Trump since the social media of the time was unable to filter them out like it did with anyone talking smack about Hillary. Since Dems seem to always go way overboard (Little Mermaid?!?) to make sure it never happens again, I could totally see them doing this. They are envious of Chiner and Iran's control over the web.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
I'm with you, pcs. I think instead of reversing course, they double down just like they have done with their propaganda since Nov 2016. Sure, nerds of the world will find ways around their attempted control, but that will only force them to tighten their grip even more. Sure, they love money, but they want worldwide control and power literally more than anything else.

The tech companies exist to make money. That's all they care about: the bottom line. If countries/EU/UN can subsidize them with tax payer money, I bet they would be more than happy to jump on board. They already happily censor willingly. I mean, they are part of the cabal after all.