What's everybody up to?

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
IFTTT!

Yes most of the smart home things have it, it's pretty simple.. I recently got a more complex one installed in my hub that let's you program more complex stuff but I haven't played around with it too much.

Then you gotta get more sensors etc.. it's a money sink, but it's fun when it all works.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
We drove to south TX for the holidays... roughly 3k miles round trip. Stopped in Houston to see my best bud along the way, but he had the flu. So we just visited all our old haunts, took the kids to the mexican joint where the wife and I had our first date in college, etc. Then we went on south and stayed with her fam for a week. They're always a lot of fun. Her family is large, busy, and kinda hectic, but I just stayed out of the way, ate tons of good food, and played marvel puzzle quest.

Then we came back and had marathon christmas with my family from the 29th-1st. Nothing like pretending it's x-mas day on the 30th.

I didn't really get anything to speak of, as my uncle and his wife are the only adults we still exchange gifts with. We only see them once a year at x-mas, so the gifts both ways are a complete shot in the dark. The wife and I don't exchange gifts, same with the parents and my sister. None of us need anything, and the stress and expense of buying for everyone just became too much. My grandmother still gives us money, and a healthy chunk at that, so I have no complaints.

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014
I had to replace the entire drum on that same LG washer last year. I had bought new bearings, but the old ones had completely dissolved and fused to the shaft and so just bought the entire assembly. People thought I was nuts, but damn it felt good to repair it on my own. The problem is it only took a year before the new bearings were shot which seems to be unanimous online for people who have made the repair.

I bought a new version of the washer since it lived over 10yrs and you better believe I now run smaller loads and never above medium spin speed to lower the stress on it.
I torqued the shaft. There’s a torque spec for it in the repair manual I found online...Hopefully that makes the difference in my case. I do a lot of engine repairs,so I have that stuff handy.I’m swapping the rotating assembly in a GM 4cyl in a couple weeks when the parts show up,..I’m cheap,lol. I piece meal my parts looking for the best deals on the best brands parts...try to stay as OE as possible,use as much used parts if possible too. I’ll probably post TMI engine posts in the future,lol. do a lot of ATV engine rebuilds this time of year too..lol.

You can sell the boards and whatnot off of these modern appliances to make some pretty good easy cash! I’ll never throw or give away an old appliance again now that I know what I know now,lol.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
We got our first snow on Friday, started up around 4-4:30, stopped sometime around 11 after dumping two inches on us. It started raining on Saturday and by that night most of the snow was gone. This is the sort of snow I can handle, gone in 24 hours. The kids went out Saturday to try and play/sled, both came in wet messes.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
NSA and I know just how much fun it is to have a phone with no mainstream apps on it (thanks Windows phone) so I’d say the same goes for that thing. As soon as you add a real app, you’ve sold your soul. As soon as it’s hooked to Wifi or cellular, you’ve given away your ID and your position. Privacy is now a pipe dream.

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014
Im pretty sure that’s correct. My iPhone won’t allow me to delete certain apps. I’ve tried on earlier phones...I’ve had the first iPhone all the way to my current XS Max,and to my knowledge they’re all like that. Just don’t use the app? idk.

Check out a Goophone. they’re knock off iPhones that run on a pirated android operating system. the app icons are actually fake! lol.

You can get one of these for under $200!! beats the crap outta the legit iPhone XS Max I paid over a grand for...now I know better tho.

I have a car stereo from China in my beater that’s basically the same thing,only the size of a double din radio...was around $70,and does everything a $1,000 head unit does...uses your phone for WiFi or any internet.

Love those Chinamen,and their lax copywrite laws willing to make anything for crackhead prices:D

[

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I think it has privacy abilities that other phones just won't allow. YOU decide what apps are on your phone. I've heard the big guy phones won't let you remove certain apps installed from the factory even if you want to.
Yeah, Sprint use to do that too and might still on Android, but our IOS phones are squeaky clean. Not sure if the other boys still use this practice. It's just like computers where the software companies pay the hardware companies (or service providers) to pre-install stuff. I hate it more than anything especially when it's FaceBook they won't let you remove.

Anyways, if you read into that phone's software and apps you would notice one key term: Open Source. This means any A-hole can get the source code and write any app he wants and have it steal anything he wants. It also means they can take an existing app, copy it and trick you into thinking you downloaded the real one while it rapes your bank account. You think that piss poor company rolling out a phone that will sell 50,000 units worldwide is going to vet every app to see if it's trust worthy? With what resources? It only takes a few lines of code in the midst of millions to be predatory.

Dropshipbob , no, it doesn't matter. If a phone is registered in your name or you bought it with a bank card, once it connects to ANY wireless signal they will know who and where you are. They have to. How else can we make a phone work if we do not know which tower it is hooked to? If you only use it as a wifi phone then they still know because companies drive around connecting to every wifi signal in the word and map it's location, so any access point you connect to is known.

You want privacy? Do not have ANY wireless internet device. Period.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I can't find the "WTB" thread (did we have one?) but it's not like anyone would see it anyway....so....I'd like to ask that if anyone sees a K2SO figure to pick it up for me? I'd like at least 5 and presently have two. Wal-Mart was blowing them out at like $4 but stock was limited so they may be gone. Either way, if you see one, pick it up for ole Bob?

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I can't find the "WTB" thread (did we have one?) but it's not like anyone would see it anyway....so....I'd like to ask that if anyone sees a K2SO figure to pick it up for me? I'd like at least 5 and presently have two. Wal-Mart was blowing them out at like $4 but stock was limited so they may be gone. Either way, if you see one, pick it up for ole Bob?

The 6” black series? I have a loose one from Rogue One days.

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014
Yeah,I’ve seen the Walmart sales..I got a Wampa with 5poa Hoth Luke for $9 yesterday,a Marvel Legends Tony Stark&Mk 1 armor&Thor&Lady Sif movie 2-pack for $12each...Didn’t see an K2SO tho...tons of Rey,and the less attractive chubby Asian chick...couple of Kylo. think I may go back and get the Esty w/speeder...

I’d bet by next Christmas Tuesday Morning,Ross,and Ollie’s will have Force Link 2.0 to keep their stout Rogue One&Force Awakens 5poa figures stock company on those pegs,lol.

Every Ollie’s I’ve been to literally has a ridiculous stock of them! like 80’s Kiddy City GiJoe stock! too bad it’s all the same wave tho. I still haven’t found the final wave of Force Link 2.0,and JUST found the second from last wave(Luke,Vader,FO Trooper officer..)around Christmas. The entire line has been the clearance link line,and now Clearance Link 2.0. I’m pretty much complete,even with multipacks&vehicles for cheap. $10 kylo fighter and $8 4 packs. lol

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
K, I might pick those up but A) That wave hasn't shown up here yet an B) My wife bought me one of those Salvation sets for my birthday last year that came with 3 or 4 of them. But seeing them in a store is completely different and I *might* pull the trigger if I see them.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
They come with human skulls!

On the topic of post-Jesus Day clearance, I've been pretty disappointed. One or two interesting LEGO sets have been the extent of it. I don't suspect I'll ever top the AT-ST/Masterpiece Skywarp Clearance of '10. *looks into the distance wistfully, while puffing on a corncob pipe*