What's everybody up to?

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Home ownership is a time and wallet sucking leech... I love those brief moments when everything is done (for now) and nothing seems to be breathing down your neck. Sometimes it seems like years pass between those.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
...At the start of every season there's ALWAYS something wrong...
Heh, that's my sprinkler system. Every year at least one head isn't working correctly. Every year I have to dig one of those dumb things up and fix/replace it. :grumpy:

As to your issue, get a push mower. Sooooo much less to go wrong. If you have a giant yard, get one with a deck as wide as your rider, or even wider. I don't know anyone who isn't always battling bugs with a rider.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I've got a 54" zero turn 24hp John Deere, and it still takes me 2+ hours to mow the yard. I had to service that mother for the season last weekend, which is always a pain. And my yard has very deep topsoil, so it grows incredibly fast. If I let it go more than 10 days, the mower gets bogged down. I had to mow 21 times last year... which equates to more than a full work-week of just riding around in circles. Thank the good lord for podcasts.

But a small blessing, the last two years, my son has been big enough to wrangle the battery powered trimmer, so I pay him 10 bucks to do an hour of edging every time I mow. He gets to earn some lego money, and I get to avoid a job I hate.

Plus I feel like a good father teaching him "the value of money", "the value of hard work", and "money doesn't grow on trees". All those dad-phrases make me feel like I don't suck as a parent.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I wait till the last possible second to mow, I average maybe once a month, maybe twice if it rains a lot. I hate yard work. My oldest son is big/old enough now to do some of the lawn that requires the rider, but last year it broke while he was on it and I flipped out and scared him so now he doesn't want to do that...my fault, I acknowledge that.

Using a pusher isn't going to happen, our yard...while not huge (a little under 1 acre), is big enough that that would take days to do.

I have been thinking about planting some of that zoyzia grass, as it has very little maintenance....but it will cost a small fortune to buy enough bulbs to do the entire yard.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
I got a big enough property (small for the area) but I love my zero turn mower (StarScream) Use to have a 48" husqvarna, (Autobot) That did the job, but towards the end needed a lot of work. When it finally broke for good, I had to run out & get a push mower (Gobot) Never want to do the whole yard with that thing, But I use it for a lot of small areas that I don't want to get the big mower in.

Mowing can be a pain, but its one of the few me times I get, so I enjoy it as long as things ain't breaking.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I have a greenworks 40v battery powered push mower. It's so light that it feels like a toy, but it cuts like a champ. And it requires no maintenance. But it's strictly for those hard to get places. If I tried to mow the whole yard with it, I'd run out of battery in a couple of hours and I'd still only be 10% done!

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
You know those contests you see in the back of cereal boxes or bags of chips? Well, looks like my son won one of them!

We had a birthday party for him this past weekend and one f the things my wife bought was a big bag containing smaller bags of Frito-Lay chips. On it was a contest to win a Nintendo Switch, you just had to go on-line and enter a code that was one the inside of the main bag. The next morning my wife did this and let our youngest/middle son hit "enter". He had three chances and on the first try it said "YOU'VE WON!" So....after confirming that there was a person of adult age in the house and that we were not employees of Nintendo or Frito-Lay, it said we would received one Nintendo Switch and three games sometime in the next 4 to 8 weeks. My wife received an email confirming the win and she had to set up an account with Frito-Lay and every time she checks it it says she's won...so it looks legit. Never asked us to send any money or register a credit card. I guess we'll find out if it's real in 4 to 8.

It would be really cool of this does happen because that same son was asking for a Switch for Christmas or his birthday.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
You know those contests you see in the back of cereal boxes or bags of chips? Well, looks like my son won one of them!

We had a birthday party for him this past weekend and one f the things my wife bought was a big bag containing smaller bags of Frito-Lay chips. On it was a contest to win a Nintendo Switch, you just had to go on-line and enter a code that was one the inside of the main bag. The next morning my wife did this and let our youngest/middle son hit "enter". He had three chances and on the first try it said "YOU'VE WON!" So....after confirming that there was a person of adult age in the house and that we were not employees of Nintendo or Frito-Lay, it said we would received one Nintendo Switch and three games sometime in the next 4 to 8 weeks. My wife received an email confirming the win and she had to set up an account with Frito-Lay and every time she checks it it says she's won...so it looks legit. Never asked us to send any money or register a credit card. I guess we'll find out if it's real in 4 to 8.

It would be really cool of this does happen because that same son was asking for a Switch for Christmas or his birthday.
Nice!

I went to a Target opening when I was a kid, and they were giving out keys to unlock prize boxes. Won a $10 target gift certificate. A switch is a hell of a lot better prize.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I was certainly not complaining, just noting that the only time I've won anything was when the odds were like 12:1.

Rising value or not, I don't see ever parting with it.
I was more commenting on the sad fact a plastic airplane is worth triple a new game console and the gap will only widen with each year. Humans are funny when it comes to valuing things.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
'Tis true, and mainly because sentimental fellows like myself find significant value in that plastic airplane, not just because it's awesome and fits perfectly in my hanging modern (though apparently slowly becoming less modern) aircraft collection, but because of how I came to be the owner of it. I'm doing my part to add to the rarity of such an item.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I was just remembering Stompers the other day!

Our kid winning this (I'll believe it when it shows up at our door) started my wife and I recounting all the things we won via cereal, chips, soda, etc. Between my wife and her two brothers, they actually racked up a few things, where as I only ever won a pack of board games from Fruity Pebbles cereal. We both know of one person who won one of those "shopping sprees" at Toys R Us.

I wonder how many of those things are fake and just set up to promote/sell "X" product.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I loved Stompers, owned a couple, and their commercials were memorable.

Eddie, how could you grow up in the 80's and not know about Stompers? Next thing you'll say is that you've never heard of a Lite Bright or a Monchichi...

(note, I never owned a monchichi, but I'll bet several of you are hearing the song from the commercial in your head right now...)

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Next thing you'll say is that you've never heard of a Lite Bright or a Monchichi...

(note, I never owned a monchichi, but I'll bet several of you are hearing the song from the commercial in your head right now...)
It irks me to this day that the wife does not remember Monchichi's and the mere mention of them does not torture her with that damn song. I know we had one (or a KO) in our house since I remember the brutally hard plastic parts and the fact you could stick the thumbs in their ear holes.

All soft and cuddly my ass.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Eddie, how could you grow up in the 80's and not know about Stompers?
Seriously, I don't know. I watched all kinds of 80's toons and played with a lot of other boys who had toys that I didn't. It's a mystery. I did have the Hot Wheels/Matchbox monster trucks. Even had the Micro Machines versions.