What's everybody up to?

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I remember Stompers clearly because you could take the tires off as well as the plastic car bodies and switch it all out, although I don't remember the tires being any different from one to the other. I also remember taking the tires off and leaving them in a hot car on a summer day while doing errands with my parents. Came back to find them shriveled up like tiny prunes.

Remember Cabbage Patch kids? There were boys, BOYS, in my neighborhood that wanted and got one of those.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I remember Christmas shopping with my parents the first year of Cabbage Patch and how we raced to a Fred Meyers on rumors they had gotten in a shipment. They had and this 7yr old boy was in awe watching a large group of adults ransacking the end cap looking for a doll that matched their kid. There was a perfectly full aisle of floor to ceiling Joe's that nobody was fussing over.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
It's the first toy I can think of that caused such a stir. I know it was a huge feat that my parents managed to get me LaserTag on the first Christmas, but my 2 friends that also got it were always grounded and therefore I took it apart, ripped the wires at the soldering and swapped it for an NES at TRU.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Those tanks and halftracks look so cool! I had one or two of the trucks, but never one of those. I remember playing most with the MickeyDee's happy meal Stompers in the sandbox with my cousins one summer (because we scored a bunch). They were just a little larger than Matchbox cars, did not have the motors, but had the tires and suspensions! That was back when the HM toys were actually awesome.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Stompers.. the name doesn't mean anything to me, but seeing the pictures leads me to believe I had them.

I feel like I had an army truck one maybe?

Ooo yes.. something like this..

"Authentic Military Vehicles"
I don't recall anyone ever turning a 5-ton into a SPAAG. :troll:

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Wife won tickets to Michael Carbonaro’s show tonight, so racing around trying to get the kid ready for school for the morning so I can dump her off at the parents while also cooking dinner, taking care of the dogs and trying to get myself ready before the wife gets home. Where exactly is my white male privilege again?

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Washed, polished, and waxed the new Challenger over the weekend. It shines like new money. Love the metallic flake in the Contusion Blue. Pollen, be gone!

This morning I had a spare key made b/c the previous owner managed to lose one in under 10k miles. The locksmith offered to make me a hellcat red spare as well. It doesn't do anything different than the normal fob on a T/A 392, but it looks cool
;)

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
So I read jalopnik daily, and their morning rundown frequently talks about Ford's no-cars-except-mustang future plans in NA. Does killing off the sedans and hatches in favor of SUVs and crossovers affect what you do, or is it a case of a unit being a unit being a unit?

I ask ignorantly, as I only have an extremely vague idea of what your occupation entails.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Unit being a unit. As long as vehicle sales (profit) remain the same - or better - all is good. I don't work in a factory so that's no concern of mine.

For what it's worth, I think it's a terribly dumb idea. Not everyone likes whatever they're calling those types of vehicles nowadays.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I'm of two minds. I get that demand is shifting away from cars. The data is very clear on that. However, I'm not sure complete abandonment of the car segment is wise either. No matter how loyal a Ford customer might be, if they drive a hot hatch, what are the odds they're going to dutifully pick a small crossover next time when the hatch isn't available? I would think they'd be looking elsewhere.

I don't think people are THAT loyal to a make anymore like they might have been 40 years ago. Hell, I'm a Chevy guy, and my last three purchases were not chevys. There are so many choices, brand loyalty is a bit of an anachronism. Unlike the olden days, there are very few truly "bad" cars in the market now (I'm looking at you KIA and Hyundai), so it's often just a matter of looks, features, utility, mileage or whatever... and rarely has to do with the brand that Grandpa always bought because reasons.

From a business perspective, it makes total sense to try to get out ahead of demand and maybe scale back the other offerings, but simply becoming a truck/SUV-only company (mustang notwithstanding) feels really odd. It's not like they're alone, as GM is not too far behind, and Chrysler only makes three cars as it is. But Ford's definitely the tip of the spear going in that direction.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Except that soon, there won't be any compacts to flock to. Besides, Ford thinks it'll take more than a gas spike to change things.

"The migration out of passenger cars into SUVs has accelerated,” Mark LaNeve, vice president, U.S. Marketing, Sales and Service at Ford, told the Free Press. “It’s breathtaking. It’s a generational shift. At Ford, we believe it’s structural, or otherwise permanent. It won’t bounce back with an oil shock."

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Same thing was happening around 2007 with SUVs and then gas spiked, economy tanked, everyone started trimming down their SUV lines as customers flocked to small Asian cars and hybrids. Now maybe the fact that hybrids are everywhere now will help this time, but they are still not cheap. Not like I care how much gas costs since I fill up my paid off Fiat’s 10gal tank every other week and average 8k miles per year. Absolutely no reason to buy a real car.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I spend $50 a week for premium unleaded for either of my v8 noise-mobiles. I don't care if gas goes up to $10/gal, I'm not buying a hybrid econobox. I'd rather eat top-ramen every night than give up my gas-swilling fun machines. But I know I'm in the minority. My choice of automobiles would suggest that I'm mad at the environment and actively trying to kill it. It's not true, but hey, you only live once.

However, the tech, performance, and mileage in small SUVs is starting to approach the land previously inhabited by small cars. Ford is probably correct that even a fuel spike won't drive people back to cars. It might drive them to smaller, more economical SUVs and crossovers, but no one is going to stand in the street wishing for the Fiesta/Festiva/Focus to return. So in that regard, I agree with their stance. It's just so odd to think of the decades of Ford sedans as a historical footnote. My grandfather was a devout Ford man. Always had a new Lincoln in the garage for my grandmother and an antique Thunderbird for his car club.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Ford is probably correct that even a fuel spike won't drive people back to cars...
Especially when they don't have a choice. They certainly aren't going to flock to Mustang if fuel costs are a concern. It really feels like a chicken or the egg situation to me. Are people flocking to SUVs because they want them or because the manufactures make more profit with them and are giving people less of a choice? I'm sure there is plenty of data to answer that question. I not taking the manufacture's word for it, but I also don't care enough to check.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I spend $50 a week for premium unleaded for either of my v8 noise-mobiles. I don't care if gas goes up to $10/gal, I'm not buying a hybrid econobox. I'd rather eat top-ramen every night than give up my gas-swilling fun machines.
I’m a James May guy, you are a Jeremy. I have more fun riding the edge of performance in my 5spd go cart driving the kid to school thru round abouts and 90 degree corners than I ever would pushing my muscle car at 25% during the same trip. And I do. I drive that fucking jellybean as if I’m in the cannon ball run. Mopar exhaust and intake opened it up just enough to get crazy while the soft rubber will break your neck around a corner. My FIAT at 100mph is ludicrous as opposed to a modern muscle that feels like you are going 55.

Can I win a race? No, I’m not 20 and don’t race. I take my bike when I want to leave mustangs behind at the light. Do grown men huddle around my car in a circle jerk of acknowledgement? No, I don’t want that attention from them or the police. I just prefer the feeling of riding on the edge of control and being able to turn on a dime (plus finding parking anywhere in the city is nice) since my environment is not long country roads or a race track. Can’t get a car up over 100mph anywhere around here.

What I am really wanting is an electric bike. Environment can go f itself, I just want my anime dreams to come true. They are coming down in price and just about within my reach. So close to being reality.

My current dream cars are an Alpha 4C or the aging Lotus Exige. Probably has a lot to do with being 5’6” tall. :geek:

1556714983186.png

1556715053301.png

Last edited:

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Well, I certainly don't do it for the attention. Never attended a show, joined a club, or want anyone NEAR my car. And I don't race at stoplights or anything stupid like that. I simply love the sound of a V8, the torque of a V8, and I have a constant smirk just knowing that I could smoke most everything on the road. I don't need to prove it in daily dick-measuring contests with teens cruising in dad's mustang.

About the only time I open up my V8's is getting on the interstate. My town is nestled just west of where two of the largest interstates in the country meet (I-40 & I-75). Thus it's heavily traveled by 18-wheelers non stop. Our main interchange is in the valley between two hills, so when you get on the interstate, not only are you climbing a steep hill, but you're constantly about to get run over by semi's doing 90 down the other hill trying to keep their speed up. Thus you have to be aggressive to safely merge.

I love just finding a gap and standing on it, feeling the horses pull relentlessly, continuing to accelerate hard, only letting up when I run out of room or nerve, never car. THAT's the rush. Otherwise, I drive like an old lady, constantly being passed by Camrys and Altimas. I have nothing to prove. I just REALLY like knowing it's there if/when I need it. It's very much the "speak softly and carry a big stick" mentality.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Oh, I wasn't criticizing you at all. Everyone has different joys and we are on the opposite ends of the May/Clarkson scale. Jeremy and you want the brute force power, James and I get our adrenaline rush by taking a car to the threshold of chaos and Richard is just a queer Porsche loving dick. You can take a FIAT Challenger to the very same edge as a FIAT 500, but it's not easily done in a metropolitan setting, unfortunately. I've always gotten my jollies from being on the edge of disaster whether it's a vehicle, an act or a substance going into my body. I'm a great father figure. :pirate:

TL: DR - I like the sensation of speed more than the # on the speedometer and large modern cars do everything they can to remove that sensation from the driving experience.

Last edited: