What's everybody up to?

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Just saw this on FB and my head almost exploded. Made by Joytoy. Most 3.75 figures are a little too tall for it as can be seen in the photo, but I'm sure it can easily be modified for taller figures.

Also, I know most of you still here don't really do much customizing any more, but Star Wars Geek, makes of fine things in our favorite scale, may be getting out of the business at the end of July unless something really turns around for his business. So if there's anything you want that he makes, now's the time to pull the trigger.

Attachments

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
At 44, my vision is fine... it's the time I seriously lack.

Every spare minute is spent working or with the kids, and if I'm not doing one of those things, I'm feeling like a deadbeat for not doing one of those things. Even when I just watch TV, it's usually with the kids. By the time they go to bed at 9:30, I'm spent and want to vegetate until I have to go to bed.

I have tubs and bins just full of 1:18 and 1:12 cast parts, thousands of donor figures, and a not-so-small warehouse unit full of things I bought for parts for customs and dios... and no prospect of getting to them anytime soon. I have to keep spreadsheets just to remind myself why I bought certain items. Yeah, that totally random New England Partiots snowmobile sitting on a pile? That's going to be the base front-end of a 1:18 MOTU Battle Ram.... Without my spreadsheets, I'm like an amnesiatic goldfish. "I wonder why I bought this..."

Ironically, in a decade when the kids are gone, my eyesight probably will be shot. It's a catch-22.

EDIT: Of course, none of that stopped me from picking up a few things from SWG's ebay store after reading Drop's post. The hunger never stops...

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Back to reality after the whirlwind of an E3.. ended up getting to see/do a lot less than I'd hope (happens every year) but did really get to do most of what I wanted to.

Lost my damn voice at some point, paying for it now. Every year we say we're going to do things different and stuff always comes up.

Next year hoping to get a hotel for 2 nights so we're close and can crash after partying.. we'll see...

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I sat down one day and decided to research VPNs to see which one is best. The answer seems to be that they all sell you out or do not actually hide you from anything. Everyone has their favorite, but it seems to be as dumb as OMG Xbox is better than PlayStation... If you do not know enough to setup your own, then just spin the wheel and pick one so that you can feel warm and fuzzy with your purchased false sense of security.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Here is one of the articles I had read when searching. The whole honoring warrants is where I gave up.

https://www.pcmag.com/article/352757/you-need-a-vpn-and-heres-why
Among the enemies to free speech and privacy, there are two three-letter groups to be especially concerned about: the NSA and your ISP.
Ironic considering I work for an ISP.

And yeah.. basically they're fine for a light dusting of protection, if anyone actually wants to steal YOUR PERSONAL data (and not data in general including yours) they'll be able to get to it unless you jump through a ton of hoops (VPN connected to another VPN connected to another VPN etc).

Remember those old spy movies where they had to trace the call or connection through multiple different routes/networks/locations? Kinda like that, it just slows things down, I doubt you can ever really be 100% safe/hidden/etc, unless people aren't looking for you.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Here is one of the articles I had read when searching. The whole honoring warrants is where I gave up.

https://www.pcmag.com/article/352757/you-need-a-vpn-and-heres-why
...and they have to respond to subpoenas and warrants from law enforcement. They also have to abide by the laws of the country in which they officially reside.

NordVPN, for example, operates out of Panama, and is not subject to any laws that would require it to retain user data.

I found this on Nord's site (https://nordvpn.com/features/strict-no-logs-policy/).
We keep no logs of your activity online
We do not store connection timestamps, session information, used bandwidth, traffic data, IP addresses, or other data. Nothing to store – nothing to share with anyone.
Aside from the being out of the country, if they don't store anything, they can get served with all of the warrants and subpoenas in the world and it wouldn't matter.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I found this on Nord's site (https://nordvpn.com/features/strict-no-logs-policy/).

Aside from the being out of the country, if they don't store anything, they can get served with all of the warrants and subpoenas in the world and it wouldn't matter.
Your ISP and the NSA stores everything that comes and goes from your router and therefore they just need to get your key from NordVPN to unlock it all if NordVPN uses an encryption strong enough that they cannot easily crack it. The point is that everything is out there for the taking no matter what you use and using a VPN is only good for hiding pirate activity from you ISP, streaming region specific stuff and keeping advertisers from showing you targeted ads. You are not hiding shit from the guberment if they have a reason to look your way.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
A'yup.

You'd need some sort of point to point dedicated network, maybe satellite or something. Ultimately though once you connect to the globally connected internet.. you're data is likely being sniffed by someone somewhere. Most goes through unnoticed because there is so much, but if they're looking for you..

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
That's too funny. You know, Abu is an alias I use when I steal cars. :laugh:

The news people are so stupid. They identify the car as both a "charger" and a "dodger", but never once a Challenger. It's like they live in a different world.

110mph is fast, but not THAT fast, however certainly not safe in Houston traffic. In Feb '01, I had just bought my Camaro SS two months before. After seeing Earnhardt killed at Daytona, I was beyond bummed. I drove home from Florida up I-95 at 110 with another identical Camaro who decided to run with me. The pair of us did 100+ for hours until I had to peel off for Raleigh and they kept headed north. And in the late 90's, my roommate and I drove from Houston to Dallas in 2.5 hours (normally a 4+hr drive)... because it's big, flat, and not very dangerous when there isn't much traffic.

The best part is that the chase video is in my old stomping grounds around houston. At the 4:06 mark, he passes the I-10 Buckees, a walmart-sized truck stop attraction spectacle. My children would flat-out mutiny if we drove past and didn't stop. We visit family in south TX at least once a year, and stopping at Buckees is NOT an option. It's a given, both ways.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
My wife bought one of those 8' diameter pools, you know, one of those blue monstrosities you see everywhere. It's just horrible, looks like a giant blue tick ready to burst. I told her not to get it because A) she would be the one taking care of it and B) it would make us look trashy.

She went ahead and bought it anyway. But hey, it's for the children!!

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I snapped today.

Our neighbor (who we've never met...they are kind of new) kiddie corner behind us got a big'ish dog early spring that barks nonstop. Inside, outside, day, evening, night, early morning, always. If someone is outside in eye or ear sight of that dog, it's even worse. It goes from "bark, bark, bark, bark" to "barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark". My plan was to write an anonymous letter from "All of your neighbors" politely asking them to take action before we escalate things. Even if they weren't being considerate, I was going to be.

I was outside, so of course it was relentlessly barking. I snapped. I yelled at the top of my lungs. I could feel the collective cheers from my other neighbors. It actually stopped...for a few seconds. When it went back to barking, I called the city. They sent someone out.

This blows. In all 15 yrs we've been here, we, nor any of our neighbors, have had an issue. It's been so peaceful. No dogs, no brats, nothing. Just us, the occasional oldies and classic rock and nature. Glorious. These a-holes move in and instantly put up a fence ruining the big beautiful open space. They have one toddler? that screeches when it doesn't get its way. You can hear him inside and out. First they had one small dog that barely barked, but then got this POS dog. They ruined an awesome thing. "There goes the neighborhood" has never been more applicable. None of us go out to enjoy our backyards any longer. :grumpy:

Now we have to worry about retaliation. They couldn't just be considerate on their own, so there's no reason to expect they'll take this lying down.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
My deepest sympathies.

That exact same thing happened when we lived in Raleigh. The neighbor immediately behind us bought the house and promptly put up a huge fence and got the two biggest, barking-est dogs you ever saw. Just like yours, they barked all the time and way worse when we went outside. To make matters worse, they were downhill from us, so when I walked onto my back deck, I was looking down into their yard, and those two beasts could see me. There was no escape, no peace.

We just tried to ignore them, but it was hard. However, within a few months, we had made the decision (unrelated to the dogs) to move back to TN and were trying to sell the house. But every potential buyer couldn't even take in our beautiful back deck and yard for being harassed by these two vicious sounding monsters trying to gnaw through the fence to eat them. It was a complete sale-killer, and I couldn't blame them.

Eventually, I had to ask the neighbors to take the dogs inside or around front of their house when I was expecting potential buyers. It felt shady, but I had no choice but to get those things out of the sight-lines of my back yard. The neighbors (fresh-off-the-boat asians) were nice enough to try, but of course, they weren't home half the time. I would bribe the dogs with ham and peanut butter through the fence, trying to get them to calm the fuck down for five minutes, but it never worked. I've never wanted to harm an animal, but that's the closest I ever came to considering it.

To this day, I don't know how we sold that house. I gave up trying to work with the neighbors. The buyers must have come to look while the dogs were at the vet or something. The dogs were still there, barking their damn heads off when we drove away in the Penske truck. I didn't like the hoity-toity bitch who bought our house, so I often think about her and those evil dogs... and smile at the grief they must have given one another.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Their dog is always perched up high on its deck keeping its eyes open for potential invaders into all of the yards it must think it is protecting. So when any of us neighbors walk out onto our decks, it can clearly see us and goes from semi-auto bark to full-auto machine gun bark. It can also see kids in the street in front of its house or just anyone walking or driving by.

The funny part, compared to your situation, it was the quiet, peaceful Asians who lived there previously that we all miss.

I just wish people were considerate. People shouldn't have to say anything to them. Common decency should point the way. "Hey, you know how we hate our barking dog? Well, do you think our neighbors hate it too? Should we do something about that? Training? Bark collar? Anti-bark sonic device?" Sure woud be nice if that crossed their minds.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I was thinking about this last night.

Put up a pole as close to their property as possible. Mount an air-horn triggered by a noise sensor that will just wail whenever that beast commences yapping. Sure, it'll annoy you and the other neighbors too, but chances are, it won't be up longer than 45 minutes. It'll force them to deal with the problem or confront you, where you can say, "Now you know how we feel!" It's the audio equivalent of slapping the owners with a newspaper. ;)

The other more realistic option is a bb gun. It won't do permanent damage to the animal, but it'll sure as f#$% get their attention. Out in the country, people buy a little lot next to our large farm and suddenly think they can get a dog that can roam. These dogs always end up in our yard, harassing our cats and such.

We make it a point to tell the owners that we have no problem with their dog, but the minute they come sniffing around our house, they're going to get popped. It only takes once or twice for the dog to get the memo. And it's practically undetectable if you do it discretely. I had no way to not be obvious about it in raleigh, but out in the country, it's open season on wayward neighbor dogs who forget where they live.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Oh man you guys are REALLY hitting on a subject that I have way to much experience with. I would regale you with stories, but I don't think you'd care to hear them from me.

Suffice to say that when it comes to dogs, the owners either don't know or don't care what they do. They are part of the family and treat them as such, they can do no wrong. I think that dog owners tune out dog barking because they hear it so much....there's simply no other reason why they don't hear that incessant noise. And when you bring it to their attention they wonder why it bothers you so much when it doesn't bother them....so they consider it a non-issue. Same thing with letting them roam loose.

I have now grown to hate dogs and their owners.