What's everybody up to?

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Man, this week is always fun to look back on Facebook memories.. and it was always Comic Con from 2007-2015'ish?

Kinda miss going, my friend and his wife have kept going, and they have a good time.. but I don't feel like I am missing too much. Man there were some good times though, meeting up with Mandingo Rex and Major Blood.. getting all the Hasbro scoops and finagling our way into a ton of SDCC exclusives. I'm still proud that I scooped Hisstank that 1 time on the TRU Snow Serpent figure.

Saw a few 1:18 related things online, but nothing big to write home about.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
It's actually kinda sad that there isn't (and hasn't been for a while) any new activity on the Joe front. Seems like the Joe nostalgia train came early and left, possibly to never return, despite all the other nostalgia craze stuff going on now. As for the normal 1:18 stuff, it has definitely been niche from day one, and certainly remains so, with some cool one offs, but nothing of any significance in the larger universe.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
We're coming up on what.. 40th Joe anniversary? 1982.. 2022? Fuck.. it seems like just yesterday it was all about the 25th anniversary! I imagine they'll do a little something maybe.. but then probably nothing until the 50th anniversary in 2032.. but Jaysus we'll be old as shit by then!

I think the 25th hit at just the right time where we were all old enough to have a bunch of disposable income, but still young enough where we were dumb enough to get so invested. I have to imagine that even at its peak the Joe fanbase was tiny compared to Transformers and Star Wars.

Maybe Joe is really something that only would have worked in the 80s?

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
I think the 80's was the sweet spot. Now we have (if voting patterns are any indication) 50% of Americans that are patriotic and the other 50% are anti-American because, envy? 🤷‍♂️ The worst part, though, is that those in control of our media seem to be anti-American and countless product companies echoing that to virtue signal. So during this time where we have a super pro-America POTUS, we have an entertainment industry actively trying to suppress that sentiment. Not to mention the non-stop flood of immigrants who are diluting the country more and more. A "Rah! Rah! Go America!" toy/toon line resurgence seems, highly unlikely.

Not sure those stars will ever line up again. The 25th was as good as I think it'll get.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yeah, it's probably true. GI Joe and Transformers were definitely the heavy hitters of the early to mid '80's (alternating years as the top boys' toy line) with SW being the predecessor that was superseded by Joe's articulation/military/patriotism and Xfrmrs robot/high-tech/transform-ability. And having the cartoons and comics to drive the storyline was the icing on those cakes.

I think the revived Xfrmrs benefited from the popularity of the movies (dwarfing Joe's) bringing in new, younger fans as well. And, SW got a major points of articulation and scale of vehicles upgrade in the midst of that (and also some popular animated series' if I recall), whereas Joe just got a rehash of the original vehicles and a couple pretty lame "new" ones, and a one off cartoon.

Don't get me wrong, I was fully caught up in the 25th, but once the movies didn't perform, it was just a matter of time until Hasbro focused on the lines that were performing better at the time. I wonder where Hasbro sees the three lines now. It's obvious that Xfrmrs and SW have now lost their luster as well. Where do they go from here? Is there even a market for physical action figures any longer?

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
The reason TF took off better than Joe during the revival was international movie audiences. The Bay movies aren't any better than the shitty Joe movies, but they made far more of them because they perform better overseas. International markets like robot movies and the associated merch far more than rah-rah America toys. Audiences in Gyna probably loved the TF films, while they likely weren't even allowed to watch the Joe movies.

But I think there is some truth to Eddie's thoughts. Pro-america military toys are going to have an uphill battle in our current political climate. Maybe after the next 9/11 when everybody is ready to kick some terrorist ass, then they'll bring it back.

Or, they could just hire a top studio to make them a 1st-person Joe shooter that doesn't suck. No amount of political correctness or virtue-signaling culture can fight the desire of kids who love video games. The great ARAH characters in a fighting game? It would be like CoD meets Fork-Knife.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
I truely believe that there is a plan,,,,,, should Big H lose the Star Wars Licence, that Joe will come back & with a vengence.

Disney/SW are destroying SW & their history with pre development (aka communication with toy designers etc) has truely stucked donkey balls.

In 2-3 years Joe could be huge, with the proper development. but I don't believe a Snake Eyes movie will be the answer they are hoping for.

Good toys, a Great video game & a good TV show & we would be in Joe heaven again.

However getting it in front of kids is a problem even Disney is having, because the true is that kids will like their own thing not whatever Mom & Dad liked.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I feel like GI JOE as it was in the 80s just wouldn't be the same today.. 'terrorist organizations' while bad back then, we're not the same thing as they are now. Realistically no one (outside of here) wants to see a hyperrealistic GI JOE show fighting Islamic terrorists or fundamentalist Russians or whatever. It's supposed to be a comic, fun escape.

If you set GI JOE in modern times you couldn't IGNORE all those things either, so it's a bit of a pickle (nacho).

Maybe if they lose Star Wars, they'll reboot GI JOE as some sort of Space Force thing. Vs Aliens? I dunno. Maybe Cobra has a Space Base now.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I feel like the Fornite comparison is probably the best bet.. so you can keep the colorful outfits and personalities, while also having a tight/fun shooter. Getting too serious and gritty ruins what makes GI JOE GI JOE if I'm being honest.

A fun Battlefield-esque game with one side being Cobra and the other being GI JOE seems like a ton of fun.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I feel like the Fornite comparison is probably the best bet.. so you can keep the colorful outfits and personalities, while also having a tight/fun shooter. Getting too serious and gritty ruins what makes GI JOE GI JOE if I'm being honest.

A fun Battlefield-esque game with one side being Cobra and the other being GI JOE seems like a ton of fun.
This could work especially with the ridiculously deep character pool from each size to choose from.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I like the idea, but it would have to fit somewhere between Fortnite and COD/Battlefield to work. Direct competition with either would be suicide. I think Battlefront was an attempt to find that sweet spot... that failed ultimately.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
A high quality JOE game would be amazing. And bonus for the industry...it's already super diverse! Chicks and non-whites galore! And the villains?

Sepentor - white
CC - white
Destro - white
Baroness - white
Mindbender - white
Zartan/Dreadnoks - white
Zamot/Tomax - white
Major Bludd - white
Scrap Iron - white
All blueshirts - white, IIRC?

That started out as a joke, but, aside from Stormshadow, were any Cobras non-white?

Went and looked at my Cobras collection and again, aside from SS, any of them with exposed skin are white. This strikes me as very curious considering that the creators went out of their way to make JOE super diverse. Good guys - diverse. Bad guys - eeeevil whitey. How far back does the villainization of the creators of The West go back?? And who is behind it??

Craaaaaaap! I just ruined GIJOE for myself! :panic::shakefist:

Sigh... I still want an awesome (racist) JOE game, though.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Ironically, while there were none before, Hasbro has made several non-white villain figures in the last two decades. There have been mutable black blue-shirt figures, a black CG, Lt Clay Moore, Shadow Tracker, Burn-out, and a black female IG diver.

So either Hasbro is bucking the social trend or Cobra is just less ray-sis now. But realistically, a home-grown terrorist organization from middle america is likely going to be pretty homogenous at the top. It's going to be run by redneck whitey and some eurotrash. I have no quibble with that narrative choice.

But Hama is definitely socially aware. I've read many times that he effectively turned Storm Shadow into a hero because he didn't like the only asian character being evil. And if I'm in his shoes, I'd probably do the exact same thing.

I guess I never gave it much thought overall. Cobra has so many troops that are covered head to toe, I just assume that they are more diverse in the ranks. Stratoviper can be any ethnicity you want him to be.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I think there is an unconscious bias toward all evil organizations of the scale of Cobra or the Galactic Empire or whathaveyou being essentially "Nazis" or "Romans" or "Russians" - legions of masked and/or helmeted whitey storm troopers with sophisticated weapons. I think the fear of being invaded by them has been permanently seared into the collective consciousness as indisputably threatening, just as much as coming across a grizzly in the woods or a lion on the plains or a shark in the bay instantly strikes fear. While other creatures cause many more deaths per year, these are recognized as apex predators, kind of like well armed, organized and supplied white dudes.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yeah, sounds like a great idea.

"Hey, Billy Bob, you got that new drone thing for X-mas, right?"
"Yeeeeup."
"You know what it needs?"
"Wahs dat?"
"A flame thrower!!!"

"911. What's your emergency?"
"Billy Bob done blowed up his truck and his house and set himself and the woods on fire! Send help!!!"

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
But Hama is definitely socially aware. I've read many times that he effectively turned Storm Shadow into a hero because he didn't like the only asian character being evil. And if I'm in his shoes, I'd probably do the exact same thing.
Quick Kick is offended that both you and Hama forgot about him. Jinx isn't happy either.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Kinda funny the good ninja is white, and the bad one is asian.
I mean, it would've been weird reversed. A white kid in a ninja training temple and an orphan asian kid shows up? I guess they could've also made SE asian to begin with and that would've fixed everything.

I think the bigger question that no one ever asks is, generally, why do we collectively gasp if a non-white is made a villain but have zero issues with whitey being vilified like it's his lot in life? Who is manipulating us to think like this? To think it's acceptable?

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I think historically it comes from (sorta rightfully) white people being in charge/in power/etc and villains tend to abuse power.

Also.. normally there are a ton more white people in movies/entertainment, so them being an evil one isn't as big of a difference as a minority. Also, if its a historical piece, where only damn white people were.. or a large majority.. it just makes sense.

If they keep up this diversity stuff with movies, they better make them bad guys too. I see in Hobbs and Shaw the bad guy is black, so there's that.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Also, watched Kong: Skull Island (Underrated, btw. My kids really enjoyed it too) the other night and Sam Jackson was the bad guy. So it isn't every single time. Funny though that my kids were very surprised when "Nick Fury" turned out to be the bad guy. He was no longer one of their favorite characters in the movie once it became apparent. Then it was just "More Manly Loki, Happy Captain Marvel (who actually smiles in this movie) and Wreck-it-Ralph from the Nova Corps" that they liked. Funny how every actor they see now gets called by their Marvel or Disney character around our house :p.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I did say "generally". I'm not one to make a declarative statement such as every single time. It's more like, almost every single time. 😉 I just assume you guys know that I know that we mean generally. I think Stephan got irritated in one of his interviews once when having to make that annoying disclaimer.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
As far as Cobra being all white, Years ago I made a custom Blue shirt with a MIB will Smith head & named him Mr. Black.

His back story is based on a former work. Since he is the only Black guy in Cobra the lawyers will not allow him to go into combat & has to run the AALC meetings (weekly Pizza party) for the legal tax deductions of Cobra's legitimate businesses. He also keeps telling everyone that his name isn't Mr. Black, & he is actually more capable than the troops being deployed. More a coment on the PC workplace & their inability to understand reality.

As far as StormSadow goes he was based on a charactor from a popular movie Enter the Ninja (1981)

The show was fairly diverse for the time, but due to it being based on a toy many characters were white, even if their filecards said otherwise.

Also it good to be talking GI Joe on this site.

Did a quick search & just in this clip you can see some of the insiration for Snake-Eyes, Storm Shadow & the red ninjas.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
As far as Cobra being all white, Years ago I made a custom Blue shirt with a MIB will Smith head & named him Mr. Black.

His back story is based on a former work. Since he is the only Black guy in Cobra the lawyers will not allow him to go into combat & has to run the AALC meetings (weekly Pizza party) for the legal tax deductions of Cobra's legitimate businesses. He also keeps telling everyone that his name isn't Mr. Black, & he is actually more capable than the troops being deployed. More a coment on the PC workplace & their inability to understand reality.
So even Cobra abides by workplace minority quotas?:laugh: That's freaking great. Especially since "We're Cobra. Ef you. We'll do what we want!" but that's the one "law" they are scared of.

As for that movie. It would've been perfect if they had switched the races of the white and black ninjas. Would've matched Stormshadow/Snake Eyes. I've never seen or even heard of that film. We would've absolutely loved it when we were kids. We would've put my dad to work making all sorts of ninja weapons out of wood. 😁

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
So our near 19 year old cat, Kitty, had to be put down today. He had an untreatable cancer mass on his jaw that was keeping him from eating. Even being "acceptable" because he's old, it was still really difficult. He was just such a cool cat.

He had been living with my mom for the past ten years because he did NOT get along with our other two cats. My mom has a very big backyard so we buried him along the tree line in the back. All my moms grand-kids can go out and visit him.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Sorry to hear that, Eddie.

I'm enjoying the record-breaking low tempatures. We'll be back to normal in a few days, but a low in the 60s is a nice respite for Texico in July.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
VA has come way down from our near 100°F temps last week as well. Hopefully our morning temps in the 60s will help offset the electricity we already used this month. Man, I'd love a mild rest of the summer. Could we be so lucky?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
We're in the last week of July and have had maybe one triple digit day. August and September will probably make up for it, but being a 3rd of the way through the season as-is is pretty nice.

We could use some rain, though.