What's everybody up to?

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
We were generally pretty mild up here until about 10 days ago when it started pushing up into the mid to high 90s. Humidity has also been below normal, or at least it's felt that way. We're also a little below average for rain it seems. Most years we'll get pretty good T-storms at least a couple times a week when it gets hot. Not so thus far this summer.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Yeah, 19 isn't typical, but isn't unheard of. He VERY rarely went to the vet, didn't have front claws and was outside frequently. Those three things usually lead to a short-er life span for a cat, but it didn't slow him down at all. Up until less than a month ago he was still outside catching bunnies and brawling with a neighbor cat. He lived a good one.

Unlike you guys I want a hotter and less rainy summer. What we're experiencing now is not great for owning a pool. Especially in a state where you get two months, three tops, to enjoy it. Toss in a barking dog and fighting brats. ..............................................................................................................................................:hulk:

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Sorry to hear about Kitty, Eddie. Having to put a beloved pet down is just the worst. Second worst is having to bury them. I've had to do it many times in my life, and it doesn't ever seem to get easier.

Yet my natural instinct is to collect cats like they are action figures. I have five, but on the news last night, there was a story about the local shelter being full. They showed all these little kittens just dying for some attention, sticking their little paws through the cage... and I'm thinking, "I NEED to go get one of those little guys..."

I'm pretty sure my wife would just move away in the night.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
We have 5 (all indoor) and I keep trying to give them away.

Too many in too small a house. They're all over everything all the time.. plus two big dogs.. oy.

I like them, some more than others, but man.. it's a lot. I think if I could pawn off 2 of them we'd be in a much better place.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
We have 5 (all indoor) and I keep trying to give them away.

Too many in too small a house. They're all over everything all the time.. plus two big dogs.. oy.

I like them, some more than others, but man.. it's a lot. I think if I could pawn off 2 of them we'd be in a much better place.
Finally got my load down to 1 cat and 1 dog. The cat is 17, so hopefully just 1 dog soon. :shhh:

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I only have three cats in the house (no dogs, fish, or birds), and that's plenty. I wouldn't wish any of them into the cornfield, but I recognize that I've reached sane-person capacity of indoor cats.

The outside cats are great. They keep the mice, snake, rabbit, bird, groundhog, squirrel, & chipmunk populations well under control. I only wish I could own a free-range cat large enough to keep the deer population similarly in check.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Owning a lion pride would be pretty sweet.
Damn straight. It would cure your barking dog problem with extreme prejudice.

It would also solve my neighbor problem. There is only one house in a 1/4 mile radius that isn't family, and they decided it was time for a new roof. Their shingle delivery truck decides to come down the road to my house to turn around, backs it's muddy tires all over my concrete driveway, and proceeds to drive through my nicely manicured front yard leaving big ruts. WTF Mattel!

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I only have three cats in the house (no dogs, fish, or birds), and that's plenty. I wouldn't wish any of them into the cornfield, but I recognize that I've reached sane-person capacity of indoor cats.

The outside cats are great. They keep the mice, snake, rabbit, bird, groundhog, squirrel, & chipmunk populations well under control. I only wish I could own a free-range cat large enough to keep the deer population similarly in check.
Can you not have bobcats there? My friend’s parents had a pair of them and they can certainly make you pee yourself. They eat bunnies for dinner. Can jump onto your shoulder from the ground assuming you remain standing when they land.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Thing is Eddie, it's a weekend place for them. They don't live there most of the time. I thought about just waiting until it rains and then 4-wheeling through their yard, but I'm just not that vindictive.

pcs, I don't know about bobcats. I don't think we're allowed to have them as pets. Even so, they'd probably eat the other cats and the children. I wouldn't want the liability, although I admit it would be cool as hell.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Can jump onto your shoulder from the ground assuming you remain standing when they land.
:laugh:

Thing is Eddie, it's a weekend place for them. They don't live there most of the time. I thought about just waiting until it rains and then 4-wheeling through their yard, but I'm just not that vindictive.
Laughing at the misunderstanding. What I meant was spare cars to block the trucks from using your property.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I could block the driveway, but that's not gonna fly when the wife is trying to come and go. Plus, they've already proven they don't mind driving in my yard. It's a 2.5 acre yard, so it's not like I can block it off either. Even if I could, they'd just drive through the grass on the other side of the road... which is also mine.

I admit it's just a little single-lane country road, and it long predates the entire concept of a cul-de-sac... so there isn't a good place, but if they're going to turn around on somebody's property, it should be the one they're delivering to, not an innocent neighbor.

However, this neighbor has a habit of having delivery trucks turn around anywhere but HIS yard, all the way back to the previous generation of owner. My sweet, gentile, soft-spoken southern lady mother even confronted the old man about it one time. They're the kind of people that mow the yard and leave all the clippings in the road for us all to drive through. Makes keeping a car clean difficult. They're just entitled yankees who have no problem behaving this way.

If I win the lotto, the first thing I'm going to do is buy them out and close the road about a 1/4 mile from my house. It'll keep out the yankees, poachers, and sunday looky-loos.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I I wouldn't wish any of them into the cornfield...
1564155584234.png

As for the neighbors driving through your property....there's another subject I have experience with. You can have my pool to block off your property.

How about some large boulders (seriously). I was thinking about doing that for one troublesome part of our yard, and I asked our insurance agent about it and she said that if someone where to drive into it and the police came out, depending on how they wrote the ticket, I could be held responsible. WTH? I asked her to explain and she couldn't. An insurance agent....who's job it is to know about insurance....couldn't explain a question regarding insurance.

Yeah, we're kicking them to the curb as soon as possible.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
How about some large boulders (seriously). I was thinking about doing that for one troublesome part of our yard, and I asked our insurance agent about it and she said that if someone where to drive into it and the police came out, depending on how they wrote the ticket, I could be held responsible. WTH? I asked her to explain and she couldn't. An insurance agent....who's job it is to know about insurance....couldn't explain a question regarding insurance.

Yeah, we're kicking them to the curb as soon as possible.
The trouble comes from the fact that the end of your driveway technically isn't on your property. It's in the road right-of-way (anywhere from 25-50 feet of the center, depending on the laws of your locale), and if you put something in a public right-of-way that damages someone else's property, you could be found liable. It's bullshit, but that's our world.

Last edited:

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Anyone who knows computers and programs...just for my education...would there be any way of getting into a program I have on my computer and disabling it without it looking like someone did so on purpose?

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I mean.. so NO one can get access to it? Mac or PC? If PC, you could find a couple of important files and move them somewhere else. It won't likely open/work right, and then you can move them back if you wanted to use it. What kind of program though? Some are self contained now (like apps).

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Just find the directory and delete a bunch of random files. It should stop it from working, or at minimum working right. You could also just rename some files too, sometimes that'll do the trick.

Of course the easy way to fix it is just uninstall and reinstall, this work stop that from working.

I suppose you could edit the registry entries but that's a bit more advanced.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
If the work computer is properly set up you shouldn't be able to do this. Fair warning, We had a bunch of people disable the monitoring utility at work & it caused all kinds of shit storms when computers weren't updating. Not sure I'd want to hear that conversation with IT & their manager.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mattel has the Top Gun license, but it doesn't sound like figures are on the table. Also, if anyone still wants one of those TrU True Heroes AC-130s, Target is carrying them.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I still want that J-11BS that JSI teased us with. Maybe if the movie is a hit in China they could get a re-release of the F-14?

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I don't see how the F-14 can have any significant roll in the movie though. If there are any (besides maybe in a flashback/dream sequence), they'd have to be Iranian, and would likely have parts falling off them as they flew by this time. Plus, with the Tomcat so prominent in TG1, it would be really awkward to be flying against them in 2. A Super Hornet would be awesome, but I have a number of airframes above that one on my wishlist.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Yeah, we have zero functional F-14 airframes. It would have to be all CGI.

The F/A-18 isn't the most exciting jet around, but it probably makes the most sense for this given film. I would prefer an F-22, because badass, but I get that the navy doesn't have any. It begs the question as to why they haven't bothered to mod a few for carrier use. I feel like the answer is some petty, inter-branch macho rivalry stuff, not actual practical reasons.

But I still prefer almost anything to the F-35. Am I the only person not enamored with this plane? It looks like a Jeda-ghetto F-16 with a bigger ass and some pointy bits. The engine looks like a ricer with a huge tailpipe. I'm surprised every time I see one and there isn't green neon underneath and "GONZALEZ" written in gothic letters in the back window. The F-35 is just a pig.

Sure, when they eventually work out the kinks, it'll be a very serviceable jack-of-all-trades kinda pig, but damn it's ugly and boring. I imagine that visually, it doesn't exactly scare our enemies, whereas I picture opposing pilots shitting their pants at the sight of an F-22.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Absolutely, the F-35 will never cause nearly the "OH $#!+!!!" moments that the F-22 will, but it wasn't (originally) designed for that. It's a glorified stealthy bomb truck, which it does quite well. Problem is that the military then decided it wanted to make it a close air support platform, oh, and a dog fighter too. Why? Because all the airframes that do those things are a.) getting very old now (A-10, F-16) and/or b.) not-stealthy (F-15, F/A-18, with the exception of the <200 Raptors). And the Harrier was getting old too, so why not VSTOL for the USMC?

So, you have a great bomb truck that can get past enemy detection from the air and ground. It can plink strategic and localized enemy ground targets like nobody's business, much like the Raptor can do air-to-air. But you also get a mediocre CAS platform and dog fighter. It'll never turn with the latest MiGs and Sukhois, but it can take a few down with AMRAAMs and SidewinderXs before it gets detected and perhaps sneak it's way back to the big brother Raptors before being knocked down. As for CAS, with a strapped on 30mm cannon, it gets close to adequate, but it will never have the ordnance, precision or loiter capabilities of the Warthog, and at the cost of being much less stealthy once they strap the extra goodies on. So, it's on par as a slightly more powerful, stealthy F-16/AV-8B replacement for CAS and nothing more in that regard.

So I try not to knock it. It's become a glorified try-to-do-everything airframe, much like the F-16 and F/A-18 before it. It excels at its original job, is okay at its secondary, not so much at the others, just like its predecessors.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yep, similar approach to their stealth demanded a very similar appearance. You are correct that the twin vectored engines definitely identify the F-22. The size of the airframe and shape of the vertical stabilizers are also quite different. After you see each flying/taxiing a few times, you start to pick up the other nuances as well.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Truly. None of them look good from every angle. I think the F-22 is as close to a "normal" looking fighter as they could get, and it still looks awkward at certain angles.

This might belong in the "In the News" thread, but, since it hasn't been reported in the MSM, it seems well suited for this mini-discussion. F-35 performance in real world strikes?:

https://breakingdefense.com/2019/07/is-israel-flying-f-35s-in-iraq-to-hit-iranian-missile-shipments/?utm_campaign=Breaking%20Defense%20Air%20&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=75300838&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-85kRahRTUeJciKmWX_TkJUYQJ8LLFSiFHaf6HLUR_cKazjiJ309vcA106zlodRV9RdI3qDFqKVYh0QwqjTpaIpl7YUsQ&_hsmi=75300838

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I saw a similar article last week, about the F-35 causing a stir among the iranian brass. No doubt, even a mediocre new stealth jet in the hands of israel should scare them.

But the F-35 looks like a 60's rocket tube with some wings and a cockpit hastily attached. Conversely, I think the F-22 is a sexy beast. While the A-10 holds a special place for all of us, and I have nostalgia for the looks of the F-4, a proper 1:18th Raptor would the top of my wishlist.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
And everybody knows Israel has nukes, so an effective stealth delivery system all but guarantees Tehran becomes an ash pile if they manage to set off a nuclear device in Israel. Same could be said for other potential adversaries in the area, should they mount an invasion attempt.