What's everybody up to?

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Having done the drive from LAX to San Jose to San Fran to Yosemite to San Jose to Bakersfield to LAX, I can vouch for all the not-ginormous state residents... It’s big.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
Ok I thought it was odd I got an email saying that we were planning to bring back the fighting 118th custom convention & that no one here mentioned it?

So I pulled up the email I got this week & all the links are from 2013? Looks like someone accidentally sent out a old email. Kind of got excited that we were starting contests again. Oh well.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Ok I thought it was odd I got an email saying that we were planning to bring back the fighting 118th custom convention & that no one here mentioned it?

So I pulled up the email I got this week & all the links are from 2013? Looks like someone accidentally sent out a old email. Kind of got excited that we were starting contests again. Oh well.
Haha what.. Where was it sent from?

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Woke up yesterday and realized that my laptop was 5 years old and my desktop was 6. The wife's machine isn't very old, but the kids use it for Zooming their friends and karate classes (their school-issue laptops don't let us load any new software). So I used part of my gubmint check to refresh the computing power at my house.

Got the wife a Lenovo Yoga C740 2-in-1 laptop/tablet, and for myself, an Alienware m15 laptop. Gonna be smokin' fast while I do pretty much anything but actual gaming, which I rarely have time for. Eddie prodded me to be productive on our HotWheels movie during the lockdown (the one we started over two years ago), so the boy and I have been filming every weekend, and I need something better to that end. The desktop was struggling with real-time software rendering in Premiere Pro when I use some of the resource-intensive features, making editing more of a chore than it should be. Gonna be sweet!

And then I got an email from ButcherBox saying that I finally moved from the waitlist to the able-to-order list. We debated, as their prices are about double the standard rate at the grocery store, but with the looming meat shortage, I decided that even at an inflated rate, I'd rather have overpriced meat than none. Our local butcher stopped taking phone orders, so I'm glad we stocked up last week. But I'm glad we're in the BB queue (no pun intended), so as to have another source in case things go sideways.

Thanks gubmint check! (I feel like such a Democrat today...)
:fuckit:

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Nice! Hopefully you can get that video done sometime this decade!

I got a new laptop maybe a year or two ago.. some Dell G3 thing. It's not top of the line, but plenty fast enough for anything I need to do, and has a graphics card if I get a gaming hankering outside the Xbox. It was like $600 or $700 so it was pretty inexpensive.

The wife wanted a laptop of her own, so we got some Dell consumer level thing for $500, but it flips around so I guess it's a 2-in-1? It's mostly used for kid schooling and zooming.

We have an old Surface Pro 3 that's still kicking.. but the battery doesn't last so long.

A co-worker knew someone who did IT for a company that switched everyone over to Macbooks, so they essentially just tossed out their whole Dell laptop inventory. I snagged a Dell Latitude E7470 from him for $75 cash.

14" QHD (2560x1440) touch screen
Intel i7 Processor
16 GB DDR4 Ram
512 GB M.2 SATA SSD

It's like a 3 year old laptop, but it was wiped clean and works great. It looks like it was top of the line when it came out, so it's aged pretty well. It's the only I actually use on my lap as a laptop since it's pretty light, and it's business-grade so it seems a bit more quality than other stuff.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yeah, I realized a couple weeks ago just how old our desktop and laptop computers are. I could have spent money to get new ones, but I really only use the desktop for taxes once a year and the laptop was/is for my kids to learn to type. The (newer) laptop barely starts up at this point and the charger port has crapped the bed. I will probably have to bite the bullet here sometime, but I am not excited to get yet another slow windows product that'll disappoint me. As for the desktop, I will milk that thing as long as possible.

Brainstorm! I'll get a keyboard for my kids' ipads and download some typing apps for them...

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah some of the newer iPads have keyboards that attach. I haven't used them yet but they seem like they should work fine.

I used to be all about having a powerful desktop.. and I guess if money was no issue I might still be into it.. but unless you're gaming full time, there isn't really a need anymore. Laptops are cheap and powerful enough to do everything really.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
ThunderDan19 , yeah it's tough to justify spending money on stuff you rarely use. I use my machines every waking minute it seems like, so I'm usually not hesitant to pull the trigger on new stuff. My existing laptop will go to the kids and serve to load the media servers around the house when needed.

Nice NSA , those Dell business machines are pretty solid, and those specs are great for a 3yo machine.

We've made good progress on the movie. Pre-lockdown, we had two scenes done, both filmed in 2018. We took last year off. In the last month, we've done an additional three scenes plus some intro stuff. Still have 4-ish scenes left to shoot according to the spreadsheet, definitely past halfway. We've also had to reshoot some things b/c as we work on stuff, we learn things that make earlier work look like crap, so we end up re-doing. And I keep buying new equipment to help things along.

Initially, we delayed work on it waiting on some snow, but we haven't gotten a good one the past three winters. So now we just revamped and will add in an extra scene if/when we get snow this year. But we plan to have everything else done this summer. We're shooting for an august premiere. Not counting the intro stuff, the action part is already over 4 min, which is really long for a HW film. One weekend, we spent 6 hours shooting a scene that yielded seven seconds of footage. But it was a badass seven seconds, so it was worth it. With the intro, I suspect the final product will be in the 10-12min range.

Reactions: NSA

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
That's good! I am hoping once we move and we have a nice backyard with a pool/etc I might try some cool film stuff with the 7-year old. Here's hoping..

We're just in a holding pattern now. The house is set to close on 5/15, and then we're renting back through the end of the month, as our new rental place won't be available a week or so after. Not looking forward to moving and all that, but getting into a bigger place with a pool will be a nice change I think, especially since it's been so hot lately.

Ahhhhh.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Nice, I was afraid the whole pandemic thing might cause the real estate marked to pause. I'm glad it's still on track. What's your rental place like? A house with a pool?

We'd been lazy, but Eddie suggested that we get our asses in gear since everyone is stuck at home on weekends, and it got me to thinking that the boy, 13 now, will lose interest over the next couple of years. So if we didn't take this opportunity to finish our little film, it might just end up on the pile of unfinished projects I seem to surround myself with. I really want to complete this one.

Alex got so much mileage out of the stop-motion Mixel's short we did 4-5 years ago (has it really been that long?!). All his elementary school teachers went nuts and were sharing it online, showing it in class, etc. He might get a similar reaction with this in middle school, but likely not high school, so we really need to wrap it up. I love seeing the kid be proud of the work.

But it's going to be cool. We don't have the film-making expertise or pro-level equipment Mark Rober used, but we're taking a slightly different approach. We're doing a little less camera magic (because budget) and a bit more story-telling/plot, you know, as much as you can do with 1/64 scale cars.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Nice, I was afraid the whole pandemic thing might cause the real estate marked to pause. I'm glad it's still on track. What's your rental place like? A house with a pool?
It's nearby, next town over, 4 bedroom, 2 bath, something like 1462 sqf. Coming from a 3 bd, 2 bath, 1058 sqf house.. it's an upgrade. It has a nice pool in the back too. It's my wife's sisters house. They're moving to Texas this month for the husbands job, but want to keep the house here in case they want to move back I guess. So we're planning on renting it for a year and then hopefully deciding where the hell we want to go/where we can afford to go. Hoping with COVID and a Presidential election, the market will crash by this time next year lol.

We'll see, we're banking most of the money we're getting from selling the house, and using some to pay off debt etc. The idea is after this rental year, we'll be in a good place to buy our "forever house" hopefully. Maybe even in TN! Though nothing but bad news coming out of TN this year....

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
We'll see, we're banking most of the money we're getting from selling the house, and using some to pay off debt etc. The idea is after this rental year, we'll be in a good place to buy our "forever house" hopefully. Maybe even in TN! Though nothing but bad news coming out of TN this year....
Very cool that you have that option for a rental.

Eh, nothing bad happening here. One tornado does not a terrible year make. I think we're weathering the pandemic better than most, and I think we'll be back to some semblance of normal quicker than most. And pandemic aside, I feel like the state is in it's best era in decades. No political turmoil, well-managed, fiscally responsible, freedom focused, etc. Don't let the fear-mongering news scare you.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I bought this one for my ipad and love it. Can sync it to 3 bluetooth devices and just push the yellow button to switch between. Even works on a phone. You can find them much cheeper than that.

Logitech K380 Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard, Multi-Device with Most OS's
I had a Logitech for my regular iPad a few years back and liked it pretty well, although it did not securely and permanently attach so the iPad would occasionally fall off. For my iPad Pro, I opted for a Zagg keyboard, which, while pretty nice and definitely cool, would ultimately crack within a year (cheap plastic I guess) and become unusable.

After two warranteed replacements, I gave up on Zagg and went with an obscure brand - Lenrich. I am at least two, maybe three years into using this one (typing on it right now) and love it. High quality plastic and very protective. It also has a swivel mount (not that I use it very often). The only downside is weight. It weighs and acts like a small touchscreen laptop.

I only use the keyboard when I do significant typing. The rest of the time it’s just a great stand to keep the iPad in a viewable angle to peck at the screen.

Oh, and I found not one but two bluetooth keyboards that we had tried for my wife’s iPad Pro. They didn’t fit properly because hers is a newer one that nobody had made keyboards for at that time. (We ended up getting them for free so had pretty much forgot they were still around). So we just need to download the best typing teacher app onto my kids’ iPads and we are in business and off the PCs, at least for the older ones.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
ipads? ipads?! My kids have an old Fisher-Price or LeapFrog device that would be just as useful to me. My disdain for Apple knows no bounds.
I was never a fan of Apple until my wife got our first iPad. The always-on, never-takes-more-than-a-second-to-load-anything technology won me over. I do nothing but roll my eyes when starting up any Windows platform and waiting for programs to load. And I have yet to find any even brand new Windows device that can approach the speed of any Apple device that's less than 5 years old.

That said, I have never waited in line or early adopted anything from Apple (my phone is an SE) and do get pissed at some of the extremely non-intuitive interface crap like iTunes (on PC) to devices synching. I also have little tolerance for people who cry poverty while texting away on their iPhone 12 or whatever the latest model is.

But, yes, we have 2 iPad Pros, 4 (active) iPads and 3 iPhones in the house now. Thankfully, we never paid retail for any of them. They were either bought with United miles or deeply discounted from cellular carriers. I already mentioned the 2 barely limping along PCs left in the house. My parents are nursing a pair of laptops as well. Everything else PC we had has long since been made obsolete by our iPads.

I hate any kind of troubleshooting I have to do for anything PC at this point. I know immediately that it will probably take all night and require 18 stupid updates and probably cause me to have to purchase something to fix whatever is wrong. Meanwhile, any issues we have had with Apple hardware have typically been corrected by some 10 minute technique posted on an Apple forum. If it's something more than that, I send my wife to the Apple Store and somebody there steps her through it. Sorry, but PC cannot compete with that.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
That’s funny Dan. I was an Android PC guy and refused to even look at a stuck up Apple device until I was the last friend and family member holding out, the green bubble on imessage. Because of an error between sms and imessage that would make me receive double messages or even entire chunks of conversations again and HTC getting out of the phone business, I caved and got an Iphone.

Of course this led to me getting a cheap refurb ipad just to have the synchronicity that I enjoyed on Android and found it to be far better on Apple. When faced with the decision of buying a new laptop just over a year ago I ended up with a 12” pro Ipad over a Windows or a Mac due to rumors of mouse support and a real file system. Not a single regret as the thing runs MS Office Suite better than my issued laptop does. With the USB-C connector, I can do anything I need with photography and my drone with the Ipad smokes thru 4k video editing.

So yeah, I’m done with computers until work stops giving me one to use.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
You guys suck lol.

I am a staunch Apple detractor. I loved my original iPod but haven't liked anything else since then.

We have 2 iPhones, an old iPad and a new iPad mini.. but that's all for the wife & kids. I am very happy with my PC laptops and Samsung Note 10 (with Windows 10 PC integration).

I've been a PC guy since I was a kid really, fixing 286's and playing around with BASIC.. so the Windows file system is just like second nature at this point and I can fix most things myself or using Google.

I also have a ton of legacy games I like to boot up every 5 years and play again, and I am sure there is a way to make it work on Mac.. but.. no thanks.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I started at the 386sx and would reload Windows 3.1 on floppy for fun but after switching to Apple I realized how tired if fixing stuff I am. Apple is not the best, but it almost always works, I never have to configure anything and just about anything you buy is specifically designed to work with it. Add an Apple TV and now my devices are the remotes for it and everything flows between including sharing my screen on the tv. Family sharing and children controls are ridiculously simple and span all their devices with 1 setting.

The one thing I refuse to give up is my xbox.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I used an ipod nano for years. For the one purpose of listening to podcasts on the lawnmower, it was *fine*, until it's non-replacable battery went tits-up. Sorry, buy a new one for $200 because we don't sell that kind anymore, pleb.

My wife has an ipad that she got when the kids were in private school and they had school-issued ipads. She immediately regretted the purchase. She's not a power-user, but even she recognized the serious limitations of the walled garden. We were both thrilled that the kids' current district became the first fully-Microsoft-Certified School System in the nation. Every kid gets issued a Lenovo laptop, and it's glorious.

The siren-song of the i-device is that it's aimed at someone who is perfectly content doing exactly what apple wants and allows you to do. If surfing, texting, facetime, and email are all you do, I can see the allure, but heaven forbid you want to do something off the reservation. You're shit out of luck.

I don't have problems with my PCs. They work until they die of old age. And I ask a lot of them. I'm typing this now on my 6yo PC that's never given me a minute's trouble. I can't do any legitimate gaming on an ipad. I can't write code for my office on an ipad. I can't do tons of video editing or file handling on an ipad. I can't locally store backups of jack-shit on an ipad. The idea of owning a machine that I can't tweak, that I can't kick in just the right places, that I can't load software from the darkest recesses of the ether onto, that I can't upgrade, that doesn't have mouse support or a USB port? Get. The. Fuck. Out. I'd be better off drawing app icons on my arm.

Don't get me wrong, despite my virulent apple-hatred, I'm glad you guys have devices that do what you want and make you happy. That's by-far the most important feature of any technology. However, exclusively using Apple products is what hell looks like in my world.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Lol, I read you, and you’re right. All I do at home is this, e-mail, surf/shop, Pinterest and occasionally stream/watch movies and such. Everything else I do on my work PC or my crappy old one. So, yeah, I’m perfectly satisfied with my always on touchscreen w/ keyboard makeshift laptop for all I do after hours. And my iPhone serves as comes, music and time waster (mini games) and the old PS3 handles the only significant game I play. So I’m good without the storage and horsepower needed for the more complex stuff.

Though iPad Pro w/ IOS 13+ brings much higher capacity for storage/connectivity and can handle tasks like video and photo editing, so yeah, the capability just continues to grow.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I would like to play around with the iPad PRO to see how it behaves.. though the same form factor in the Surface Pro 3 I have was kind of a let down. Is it nice having full Windows on a tablet? Yes... kinda. You end up needing a real keyboard enough where it's just easier to leave it attached or used a laptop that comes with one.

I still don't like touchscreen typing. Damn, I'm old.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I can't do any legitimate gaming on an ipad. I can't write code for my office on an ipad. I can't do tons of video editing or file handling on an ipad. I can't locally store backups of jack-shit on an ipad. The idea of owning a machine that I can't tweak, that I can't kick in just the right places, that I can't load software from the darkest recesses of the ether onto, that I can't upgrade, that doesn't have mouse support or a USB port? Get. The. Fuck. Out. I'd be better off drawing app icons on my arm.
You obviously missed the part of my Ipad having a USB-C port that I can plug anything into including my SSD that stores all of my 4k 60fps footage from my drone and takes all of a minute or two to process 10 minute videos that have 4 layers of video and another 4 of audio in Lumafusion. Ipad OS 13 has a fullblown file system, bluetooth mouse, keyboard and side by side multitasking. This big tablet is not the bloated old phone your kids and probably wife were trotting around the house, it’s a fully functional computing device that can do far more than I’ll ever use.

Your last sentence of tweaking and kicking a device in just the right places is exactly why I and I’m sure Dan enjoy our vile fruit machines. We got tired of that shit. I boot my old Windows i7 laptop up or my current work i5 and the damn things always have updates and restarts to perform. I feel ya, I use to think exactly like you and NSA has watched me fall to the light side of the walled garden over the past 5yrs, but like you, I was blind to the good things that come with that like not spending 2hrs trying to figure out wtf the daughter clicked on and am I going to have to restore her entire PC yet again. My tech life has been simplified by 10 fold and options to do things like automate my home have blossomed. Why? Because my wife and daughter can use all the fancy things without having to learn new skills. I had my xbox running my TV and all the streams, but the wife never took the time to learn and anytime she wandered off of the path I created for her I would get a text or call to get her back on it. By replacing the xbox with an AppleTV, she doesn’t have to download a crap app to type inputs into Netflix, she doesn’t ever have to find the remote/controller now. Now she just hits a button on that phone that lives in her hands anyways and I get zero calls about it. IT JUST WORKS. That is worth the stupid bloated prices to me.

Reactions: ThunderDan19

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Also with the combo of Iphone or Ipad and an AppleTV, doing things like sharing photos, videos, movies or even a mirrored image of my device screen on the tv is a one click function. I have stood in my backyard flying my drone while streaming the content directly to my living room TV. I never had to install software or configure things to work with each other, it’s just built in and a swipe plus tap away any time I happen to need it. That’s the ease I’m talking about and it’s well worth giving up loading some old PC game to play for an afternoon Or bringing up a DOS window for the nostalgia factor of saying I can. Screw that. I’ll take my 13” magic piece of glass that has more processing power than a Macbook Air or budget PCs out there.

Reactions: ThunderDan19

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
And no I’m not arguing anyone switch to the light side. god no. It’s something you have to accept on your own like quitting smoking. My journey began because I was the odd man out in my circle and my favorite phone maker stopped making phones. I hate Samsung phones with a passion (why can’t they just give you naked Android?!?), so that opened my door to Iphone. As you can tell, it was the right choice for me.