What's everybody up to?

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yeah, those new iPad Pros have all kinds of capability. Mine is still one of the first or second gen with the home button, and still runs like a champ. I can't get used to my wife's newer no button version. I love my home button, but will have to eventually. I did have to play with hers a little to figure out (in about 10 minutes total) the USB-C to back up drive thing a month or so ago. It just takes some getting used to I guess.

Man, it is so nice to be able to back up all her pics/videos via airdrop from her phone to her iPad and then right onto the little shockproof backup drive, which gets put in the fire safe. Beats the crap out of having to hard connect her phone to our PC and suffer through hours of downloading there (which stops copying about every five minutes) and then transfer again for hours to a back up drive.

Reactions: pcsguy88

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
The USB-C is the only reason I chose the Pro over a traditional laptop of any make. It’s the one thing that knocks holes in the walled garden and allows you to do real computer things. And yes, going from home button IOS to a more Android‘ish swipe IOS takes some recalibration, but thankfully I only had a year or so of learning to undo before getting my iPhoneX.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
You obviously missed the part of my Ipad having a USB-C port that I can plug anything into including my SSD that stores all of my 4k 60fps footage from my drone and takes all of a minute or two to process 10 minute videos that have 4 layers of video and another 4 of audio in Lumafusion. Ipad OS 13 has a fullblown file system, bluetooth mouse, keyboard and side by side multitasking. This big tablet is not the bloated old phone your kids and probably wife were trotting around the house, it’s a fully functional computing device that can do far more than I’ll ever use.

Your last sentence of tweaking and kicking a device in just the right places is exactly why I and I’m sure Dan enjoy our vile fruit machines. We got tired of that shit. I boot my old Windows i7 laptop up or my current work i5 and the damn things always have updates and restarts to perform. I feel ya, I use to think exactly like you and NSA has watched me fall to the light side of the walled garden over the past 5yrs, but like you, I was blind to the good things that come with that like not spending 2hrs trying to figure out wtf the daughter clicked on and am I going to have to restore her entire PC yet again. My tech life has been simplified by 10 fold and options to do things like automate my home have blossomed. Why? Because my wife and daughter can use all the fancy things without having to learn new skills. I had my xbox running my TV and all the streams, but the wife never took the time to learn and anytime she wandered off of the path I created for her I would get a text or call to get her back on it. By replacing the xbox with an AppleTV, she doesn’t have to download a crap app to type inputs into Netflix, she doesn’t ever have to find the remote/controller now. Now she just hits a button on that phone that lives in her hands anyways and I get zero calls about it. IT JUST WORKS. That is worth the stupid bloated prices to me.
No no, I get that you can edit drone footage with whatever apple app. My kids did nifty time-lapse videos for elementary school science fair projects with an ipad. It was lovely. But there is no way I'm able to run Premiere Pro with one of those things to do major editing with hundreds of clips. A current top-end ipad has 4 gig of RAM. My phone has that much. And an 11" screen? That's fine for a tablet, but I want to see 28" of goodness when I'm doing most of my work. Writing code on a tablet? Bitch, please.

With the TV, I just bought harmony remotes. You want to watch a movie, you press "watch a movie" and it does all the complicated shit for you. We don't stream content b/c rural bandwidth caps make that a no-go, but we have a harddrive with downloaded content in every room. No need to stream because it all already lives at your house. Want something new? I'll acquire it at work and plop it onto your drive before you finish your homework this afternoon. Easy and done. But all of that is more about adapting to circumstance. And no big-tech company is spying on which shows I watch.

I get that tech support sucks. But PCs rarely give me any trouble. They are the least of my worries. And I get that your device meets your needs, and that's great. But I assure you that my PC usage isn't just some stubborn resistance to opening my eyes to the Gospel of Steve. I could not do 99% of the work I do all-day, every-day from an ipad. The software doesn't exist within the walled garden, and a tablet could not possibly contain the hardware resources necessary to perform the tasks.

When I get to the point that I give up on tech life, I'll be sure to ask you guys which one-button grandma device I should buy ;)
:troll:

Last edited:
Reactions: NSA

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
11” screen? It’s 13” and can run dual monitor support on whatever giant monitor you want because USB-C. You are right about Adobe Premiere Pro, you need a real computer, probably something way better than you are using to have hundreds of clips preloaded which is why the paid professionals us big ass Macs. You can only run Adobe Premiere Rush on a tablet. You need proprietary software to run your business and are to small to have it all server based for your users, then once again you need a PC. I don’t because my company gives me a PC for that or I can choose to run the apps remotely while using my Ipad for input/output. I get to do all of this stuff with a pane of glass, not something I have to lug around or be tied to a desk. Fuck Steve, his products didn’t start getting useable and play well with others until after he died.

I ran Harmony remotes for a decade and they are nifty for people who have many devices to turn on and off, but they also go haywire once the on/off of devices get out of sync. They also have not a damn thing to do with accessing the plethora of streaming services once you are in a device.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
You are right about Adobe Premiere Pro, you need a real computer, probably something way better than you are using to have hundreds of clips preloaded which is why the paid professionals us big ass Macs.
I do need a real computer, which is why I'm buying a new screamer to replace the 6yo desktop. i7 processor, 16gb ram, high-end nvidia graphics processor w/ 6gb ddr6 video memory, big solid state drive, 3x USB 3.1 + HDMI out + a Thunderbolt 3 port, 144Hz screen, etc. Overpriced Mapple's need not apply.

I ran Harmony remotes for a decade and they are nifty for people who have many devices to turn on and off, but they also go haywire once the on/off of devices get out of sync. They also have not a damn thing to do with accessing the plethora of streaming services once you are in a device.
The newer ones actually use specific "power on/power off" commands, not just blind toggling. So they rarely ever get out of sync, and they have the ability to quickly get back in line with a couple of button presses in those rare events. Definitely not a big deal. I can imagine how that was a much bigger issue long ago.

Arguing tech out of shear pandemic boredom. :pirate:
What else are we supposed to do?! If you don't want to talk PC vs Fisher-Price, we can do another round of Ford vs Chevy... but that's not as much fun without Eddie. Propane vs charcoal? Shorts vs pants? Cake vs pie? Earnhardt vs Petty? Smooth vs Crunchy?

Oh, I have opinions... ;)

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I do need a real computer, which is why I'm buying a new screamer to replace the 6yo desktop. i7 processor, 16gb ram, high-end nvidia graphics processor w/ 6gb ddr6 video memory, big solid state drive, 3x USB 3.1 + HDMI out + a Thunderbolt 3 port, 144Hz screen, etc. Overpriced Mapple's need not apply.
Easy there Richie Rich. People are starving out there :p
My old iPad Pro will still "turn on" and open apps faster... :troll:

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
What else are we supposed to do?! If you don't want to talk PC vs Fisher-Price, we can do another round of Ford vs Chevy... but that's not as much fun without Eddie. Propane vs charcoal? Shorts vs pants? Cake vs pie? Earnhardt vs Petty? Smooth vs Crunchy?

Oh, I have opinions... ;)
Shorts 4 Life! Pants are restricting and tools of the devil!

I think Chevy's are terrible, and ugly (these days). I don't have any skin in the game for Ford vs Chevy in the past, so I don't care.

Chevy 2020

The truck looks fine, it looks like a truck. The rest of the lineup.. yuck. Those grills are ugly as sin.

I just think these look slicker. Ford isn't making cars anymore I guess, so there is that.

I would guess in reality performance and reliability is almost exactly the same in this day and age. Some models will be stinkers, some will be better, most will be worse than their Japanese counterparts.

Charcoal sucks.

I'll eat cake AND pie, but I actually don't really like either very much.

Earnhardt the band vs Tom Petty? Probably Tom Petty, he's got some classics.

I'll eat smooth AND crunchy PB. I think it depends on the mood which I prefer at the moment.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Easy there Richie Rich. People are starving out there :p
My old iPad Pro will still "turn on" and open apps faster... :troll:
Maybe. Win10 with a ton of ram and a snappy solid state drive, it can open anything pretty fast, like Photoshop 2020... you know, the real full-featured program, not the stripped down "app" version for tablets and children. And it cost exactly the same as a current ipad pro, 13"/512/ wi-fi. Say what you will, it's no contest in my mind. One's a workhorse, the other is a glorified phone. ;)

Reactions: ThunderDan19

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Shorts 4 Life! Pants are restricting and tools of the devil!

I think Chevy's are terrible, and ugly (these days). I don't have any skin in the game for Ford vs Chevy in the past, so I don't care.

Chevy 2020. The truck looks fine, it looks like a truck. The rest of the lineup.. yuck. Those grills are ugly as sin.

I just think these look slicker. Ford isn't making cars anymore I guess, so there is that.

I would guess in reality performance and reliability is almost exactly the same in this day and age. Some models will be stinkers, some will be better, most will be worse than their Japanese counterparts.

Charcoal sucks.

I'll eat cake AND pie, but I actually don't really like either very much.

Earnhardt the band vs Tom Petty? Probably Tom Petty, he's got some classics.

I'll eat smooth AND crunchy PB. I think it depends on the mood which I prefer at the moment.
I'm historically a Chevy man, but even I can admit their non-truck lineup is pretty ugly. But then again, I think the Fords are ugly too. I wouldn't buy either of them today. There's a reason my last two purchases were Jeep and Dodge.

Pants over shorts. I can't remember the last time I wore shorts. Maybe at the beach last october?

I'm with you and Hank. Propane all the way. Using charcoal is like work.

Pie >>>>> cake. Gooey desserts are vastly superior to fluffy dry ones.

Earnhardt (the driver) >>>>>>> Petty (the driver). But Tom Petty is awesome (never heard of Earnhardt the band).

Crunchy peanut butter is the devil. The people that like that are the same sociopaths that put nuts in brownies. "I know, let's take something good and put pea-gravel in it! Surprise!" :laugh:

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I'm with you. Different jobs have different requirements.

And, *ahem* if you really wanna talk trucks: (Nacho beat me to the punch a little - and you called it right: Dodge! It will always be Dodge to me. Ram is the model, dang it!)

1588962783580.png

1588962850046.png

The blacked out is the best. Mine has the logo vs. "RAM" on the grille though, so mine's better. :cool:

As for the rest of this nonsense:

Pants vs. shorts: Entirely temperature dependent (the old knees do not like the cold), but must be roomy in either case. None of that skinny jeans crap or low cut/small crotch garbage. You gotta wonder if some guys (clothing designers primarily) are even fully equipped. Yeesh. Sandals with either, also temperature dependent.

Propane - Unless somebody else is doing the work. Though I do appreciate charred meat, and smoked meat, and pretty much any other kind of meat, so long as it's cooked well. I am looking forward to the day when we finally have our deck done. The house has propane pre-piped there and my wife is a great griller, so there should be plenty of grilled meat from that day forward. We have a 500 gal tank to draw from.

Pie = Cake. I've had delicious versions of both. Plus cupcakes, fudge and fresh chocolate candy with peanuts/peanut butter. Ice cream (with chunks of... chocolate candy and peanuts/peanut butter) rules them all.

Earnhardt = More fun to watch as a driver. Petty = The guy I'd want to learn from.

Creamy peanut butter > Crunchy peanut butter, but I wouldn't turn down either, nor would I turn down brownies with walnuts in them (I should have put brownies in my Pie/Cake response - love me some of that too). I love the sweet/salty combo in almost every food group.

There, settled! :p

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
So we can all agree propane is the way to go, everything else we're not quite sure.

It's a starting point!

I do like the smell of charcoal and will eat it if someone else is doing it, I just don't have the time/energy to manage all that nonsense. I would like to figure out the Traeger smoker thing.. but again, don't have the time right now.

I've always thought Dodges were crap.. but I've never had one so it's just "what I've heard" which I think is where most people get their biases.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Apparently they are doing something right. I've got a Ram 1500, my wife's got a Chrysler Pacifica we call the spaceship (because it's awesome!) and an old (pre-FIAT) 2003 Durango - that still ran fine last time I checked.

It's crazy how much I miss my truck now when I drive something else. I had to take a rental for a work trip this past week (a little Nissan SUV), and I could not wait to get back in my baby.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I always had a love-hate with dodge. We had mutable Caravans growing up. We put a zillion miles on them, so they couldn't have been terrible vehicles, but they were just boring minivans. And our neighbor across the street had a K-car that was a colossal POS. My sister had a Cherokee (one of the boxy ones) in the 90's. It looked good, but she abused it, and thus it didn't last all that long. But of course, I LOVE Dodge/Plymouth muscle cars and restored a '69 Charger.

In the 2000s, new Dodges were very... blubous and looked plastic-y. I HATED the redesigned RAM when it came out and first started looking like a semi twenty years ago. And the 2000's Charger was an ugly blasphemous 4-door that spit on the good name of the muscle car. I never really gave them a second look until about five years ago. At that point, pretty much all makes were reasonably well-designed/built, and you were mostly purchasing on features and aesthetics. But FIAT/Chrysler hired some talented designers, and Dodge, Jeep, RAM vehicles just stand out in a way that no others do right now.

Thus the wife has a '15 Grand Cherokee, and I bought the '17 Challenger T/A 392. They look incredible next to the majority of the boring-mobiles on the road. Ask me in a decade about their reliability. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So we agree FIAT is the best automaker in the US these days. :pirate:
We agree they're the best originally American, formerly German, currently Italian, soon to be part French, built in Canada cars today?!

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Another quarantine Friday night.. Hoping the get the kids in bed soon and then..??? Haven't had any motivation to play vidyagames lately.. But have been catching up on Netflix movies and internet drama.

Tonight might be a whisky night.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I actually didn’t hit my Friday night with some bourbon or rum tonight for I think the first time since the quarantine started. Maybe because I got the new toy out and had to safety set it up and test it, but I wasn’t really feeling it anyway. I did bring home the taco bar combo for the family from Taco Bell, so I was still giving ol’ Friday the what fer!

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
What the whaaaaaaat????

’Sup buddy? Just need Eddie to drop in to make it an even half reunion.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
K is still around from time to time I think. Midget has been off the map for quite a while, as has Slither.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I think maybe the active politics for a bit scared them off.. That has simmered down now that we're all just old.

I imagine it might pick up a little closer to the election but I think we're all resigned to the fact that politics sucks.

Sat out by the fire tonight and smoked a stogey and drank a bottle of wine with the Mrs. Now trying to figure out what I want to drunkenly watch... 🤔 🤔 🤔

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yeah, I suppose as the toy news wound down, there was a lot less to talk about around here besides the politics of our time. While some of us love coming here to blow off steam when things get completely ridonculous in the “real“ world, not everybody enjoys a debate or has the ability to disagree without taking things personally.

In reality, this is one of a very few (w/o the BS) places in the interwebs that we can have that kind of discourse without a mob of morons (on both sides) jumping in and turning debate into an i-hate-you-you-suck-go-die!!11! shouting match. But I suppose there are people who feel safer in a place where idiots can wreck a conversation well before anybody has to actually take inventory on what they believe is true. It is ”safer,” at least if you never want to have to reconsider things because the person you debate makes valid arguments.

To each their own. So what did you end up watching?

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
True.. I mean it's not like people don't have the option to not read threads. But I feel like a certain side of politics just refuses to even deal with or associate with 'deplorables' for whatever reason. If you don't pass the purity test you must be ostracized. Personally I think there is value in talking to people who think differently, even if neither of you are going to change your mind.. You can still learn a thing or two.

I ended up rewatching Deep Star Six. Still decent quality all these years later I suppose. I wish they made more underwater mystery/scary movies. We get one every now and then but they're usually just so so quality.

Reactions: ThunderDan19

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I fully agree. I do miss having a lively discussion with Fogger. He and I probably don’t share a ton of similar politics, but he always brought the logic, and certainly made me have to consider my premises before rambling on that ”Obama is wrecking the universe!!1!.”

There were a couple others who came and went that I don’t remember nearly as well that tended to vomit leftist talking points with zero actual consideration. They were a lot less fun to spar with, and didn’t last long. I do enjoy getting the west coast perspective from you, but it’s refreshing that you can have that without losing your ability to reason through ideas counter to MSM narratives. And I think those of us that remain have thick skin and understand when we poke fun at ourselves and each other.

I wonder how many people bugged out due to the “Lord and Master Trump” thread title. That title alone is enough to trigger TDS sufferers I’d bet. Some people just can‘t take a joke... :p

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah there were a few.. Mandingo Rex changed his stances prett and quickly when he found his now wife. Though Eddie would lay it on a bit thick sometimes.. And some of the people who stop by only now and then have expressed some thoughts on the extreme end.. But really it's a message board.. A very inconsequential message board. We're not writing policy or anything, we're just hashing it out the same way you would at a bar with friends.

I think a lot of people moved on just because they got out of the hobby and got interested in other things. I'd of hoped they would stick around to shoot the shit like the rest of us.. But I do think a LOT of people just use Facebook for all their social media needs now. The hobby pages are huge and people get more positive reinforcement (likes) on places like that.

It is what it is. Even if it's only the 12 or less of us here, I like having a place I know I can say what's on my mind and that's OK.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
So do you guys interact with all the enthusiasts there? (I‘d check it out, but don’t do Facebook out of principle :p ).

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I've... Started to a little bit. A lot of it is just cross posts from other groups but some of it is actually good.

I am going to try driving traffic here from there so we'll see if that works or not. It's weird because we 100% don't monetize anything so it's just a happy accident if people see our stuff.