What's everybody up to?

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Filmed hot wheels saturday in the blazing heat - an epic scene that took five hours to shoot and yielded 22 sec of footage, but it was worth it. Was so hot that we destroyed a camera car. I think the wheels melted or warped around the front axle during a crash. Good thing I had just purchased a spare.

Did some editing/sound on the project and watched movies with the kids yesterday, and today we're filming again (indoors at least). After today, we should just lack shooting the grand finale, but that'll probably take at least 3 afternoons to get right, maybe more. We're aiming to finish in the next month if all goes smoothly.

Last edited:
Reactions: pcsguy88

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Not really. With Eddie gone, you are the top poster around here I think. While you were away... *crickets*

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Well... Let's Dance! :p

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I am joining the ranks of the drone people. I ordered a DJI Mavic Air 2 over the weekend. It's capabilities are well beyond what a sub-1k drone should do.

I look forward to doing some informal aerial surveys of our farm, checking things out. I haven't seen it from the air aside from google earth and a few aerial fly-by photos taken in the 80's. I think I can sit on my porch and get some pretty stellar shots of the farm and the river.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I am joining the ranks of the drone people. I ordered a DJI Mavic Air 2 over the weekend. It's capabilities are well beyond what a sub-1k drone should do.

I look forward to doing some informal aerial surveys of our farm, checking things out. I haven't seen it from the air aside from google earth and a few aerial fly-by photos taken in the 80's. I think I can sit on my porch and get some pretty stellar shots of the farm and the river.
Very jealous. My Air 1 does incredible things and would probably be amazing for you without WiFi interference in the country, but the addition of Occusync to the Air 2 is the stuff dreams are made of. Incredible what such a small drone can do, but small blades are it’s downfall the produce fingernails on chalkboard level of annoyance.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Looks awesome, but we got way too many tall trees around to put an $800 drone up there. My son nearly lost his $50 drone in the tallest tree around... at our old house... in the suburbs... where there were very few trees. So yeah, I'd love to have it, but don't trust him or me to not hang it up 100' above the ground somewhere in the 8 wooded acres of our land.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Looks awesome, but we got way too many tall trees around to put an $800 drone up there. My son nearly lost his $50 drone in the tallest tree around... at our old house... in the suburbs... where there were very few trees. So yeah, I'd love to have it, but don't trust him or me to not hang it up 100' above the ground somewhere in the 8 wooded acres of our land.
This is why I set the floor at 100ft and let the thing auto takeoff. I promise the drone is smarter than you and the only way to wreck it is to put it in Sport mode which disables the sensors.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I bought the Fly-More kit, the propeller guard, a healthy microSD card, and the warranty that replaces it twice in a year if I crash it (of course, I have to send it back for that, so it won't help if I get it stuck in a tree).

I have read that a neon skin and some strobes help keep it in VLOS, so I might have to look into those.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
All of that was $1122 + tax. The drone alone is 788, the kit with the drone and a bunch of extras is 988, and the added warranty was 79. I threw in the memory card and the guard (39 and 16 respectively).

It adds up pretty quick, but I wanted the whole megillah. You really could get away with just the drone (it comes with a battery and 8GB of internal memory). I wanted the warranty so that I could let the boy fly it without fear that he's going to cost me a grand.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
This is why I set the floor at 100ft and let the thing auto takeoff. I promise the drone is smarter than you and the only way to wreck it is to put it in Sport mode which disables the sensors.
I'll let it bounce around in my brain and maybe someday I'll get the courage. Right now working on getting a deck built and a manual well pump put in (thank you Trump checks!), so plenty of cash exiting my bank account as it is. But Christmas is right around the corner, right? :p

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
All of that was $1122 + tax. The drone alone is 788, the kit with the drone and a bunch of extras is 988, and the added warranty was 79. I threw in the memory card and the guard (39 and 16 respectively).

It adds up pretty quick, but I wanted the whole megillah. You really could get away with just the drone (it comes with a battery and 8GB of internal memory). I wanted the warranty so that I could let the boy fly it without fear that he's going to cost me a grand.
My DJI Care just expired today and I didn’t renew it since you have to be pretty reckless to crash it. All these stories online of their drones flying away almost always end up as user error. Learn the software and all the safety settings, create a preflight checklist and never waiver. You send it up on that battery that you had only used for 5 minutes and it says 90%, then it suddenly drops to 12% and your drone falls out of the sky.

I have the Fly more and then got a great deal on 2 more new ones when a photographer lost his in an Alaskan river on the first flight. 3 is plenty, 5 is a chore to keep rotated.

i put a black and white checkerboard on mine, but not for LOS since you couldn’t see the damn thing 1000ft away spray painted neon orange, but it should help find it in the brush along with the Tile I velcro to the bottom of the batteries. Buy some form of a tracker since no drone, no DJI Care. Do not fly over water for awhile unless tou buy some floats. They sink fast.

I have only lost connection once and it was only 1000ft away. I was taking a picture of the pandemic farmers market and as soon as I moved to get the overhead shot from directly above, my video cut. Pretty sure the police jammed it because video and control did not return until I powered it up at home. The drone immediately came back, landed at my feet and we got the hell out of there.

22EDB886-4CE6-4070-82D1-1E6558B3525A.jpeg

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
So it doesn’t have some kind of gps beacon system? Seems like there are some “finder” products out there. Even something that just whistled at you could be helpful.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Oh it does. The remote can show you on a map the flight path, where it is, etc, and assuming the brain is functional, you can set the drone to beep and flash so that it's easier to find when you get close. I'm going to put a Tile on it for the instance that I crash it so badly that it's not able to talk to me.

Reactions: ThunderDan19

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
The “Find my drone” function only gets you so close and in any type of long grass or weeds, you need all the help you can get. Sucks spending all this money on what if scenarios, but it’s better than $600 for a new bird. Might want to get and Apple device also since all the glitches and fly aways seem to happen with Samsung. ;)

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I was wondering if you took your old Apple phone, charged it up and strapped it to the drone and paired it up with your current phone (as its hotspot) if you could use the find my iPhone app to locate/ping it.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Being back at work sucks.. even if it's work at home work.. I got used to not dealing with other people with my week and a half off..

Trying to find two nice monitors to buy for the desk. Right now I have a 24" and a 25" and it bugs the heck out of me that they don't match in size or color display.. the tint is just off enough to stick out like a sore thumb. Anyone have any recommendations? Looking for 25" or 27" I guess.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
All I have are boring Dells. Dell warehouse/closeout/whatever might save you a few shekels if you are trying to get two of the same.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I was wondering if you took your old Apple phone, charged it up and strapped it to the drone and paired it up with your current phone (as its hotspot) if you could use the find my iPhone app to locate/ping it.
WiFi range would severely limit your flight distance and the weight would shorten battery life. The absolute best thing would be the new gen of gps trackers if you felt like paying a monthly fee.

Tracker Safe and Found

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Well, DJI was giving me the run-around and not shipping my MA2 in a timely fashion (it comes from... CHI-na). On monday, I decided to cancel that order and get it domestically from DroneNerds (no tax!). They shipped it same day, and it's on the truck for delivery now. Already got the DecalGirl skin for it. Hopefully the weather this evening will be suitable for a test run.

• Wow
Reactions: NSA

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Me too! But I will not be the best pilot, at least not anytime soon. I have steady hands, but my only experience is playing around with the boy's Ryze Tello. I might get there eventually, but in the short term, I'll just be puttering around.

And if FedEx doesn't get here, I won' be doing squat today. In the last few months, every FedEx package tracking number shows "on the truck for delivery" in the morning, but then there is always an "exception" in the afternoon claiming that they can't find our building, but then it shows up the next day with no problem. I have no doubt it's just a lazy driver. I have a 300sqft sign on my building, which sits right next to the interstate. There is literally nowhere in my town easier to find, but FedEx has developed a case of terminal stupid.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
USPS is even worse. I have had two consecutive packages that tracking said were "delivered" on a certain date, only to have it finally show up days to a week later. (I guess I should count my blessings that it got delivered at all with them). They went back and changed the delivered date on the first one and didn't even bother with the second. No wonder USPS is near belly up, and has been forever now. I would imagine your lazy driver will eventually get weeded out because FedEx has at least a modicum of accountability. Not so of the USPS. Private vs. gubment run.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Our mailman is top notch. I never have any trouble getting stuff from them, and if my guy forgets a package, he'll make a special trip back. UPS is steady, always deliver when they say they will. But FedEx? In the COVID-era, they've been beyond questionable.

But as I type that, the guy showed up, so I'm not going to say much else. I've got battery charging to do!

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Ok, so I took a nice little flight around the yard between rainstorms, took some video. So I'll post some up tomorrow.

But the boy (13) got a turn... and he's been in a drone class at school (which I thought was mostly a 3D CAD class), and he's a little badass. I had no idea. He was fluid like he was playing Smash Bros, completely without thought or effort. Apparently he's logged far more time at the stick than I realized. And it was waaaaaay more nerve-wracking watching him fly than actually doing it myself. I'm a terrible audience!

Reactions: pcsguy88