What's everybody up to?

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Yeah, I should probably have my head examined letting my 13yo play with my new 1K toy, but the kid was good. He basically gave me the hand and said, "Don't worry, I know what I'm doing..." And he did. Kid's growing up.

Last edited:

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Kids have great hand/eye coordination these days from all those video games and modern tech comes naturally to them. Won't be long until our military is all remote driven by them, like the gold people from GotG vol. 2.

Reactions: pcsguy88

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I believe it, video game kids have way better reflexes than us just like we did back in the old days. I just view my Air as a camera platform even though it flies crazy fast in Sport mode (tried it a few times in an open park 50ft up). If I ever buy the Air 2, then maybe I’ll start using the old one as a Ferrari to get the action shots.

PS: dji requires you to send in the black box flight files if you crash your drone and if it’s in Sports Mode or the crash is user error they will not honor the replacement.

• Wow
Reactions: NSA

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
We old timers can't compete with those super twitchy kids. I think that's why I gravitated to vehicle based games like Battlefield over the normal FPSs. I can fend off the better reflexed (and more practiced) kids with armor while I pummel them with cannon fire. :p

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I think this is why I like Wildlands so much since it is very laid back until they find you. Halo turned twitch shooter since 343 took over and the rest of the fps’ only seem to get faster. I much appreciated the latest COD taking a step back and going more tactical.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Gave myself and the boy a haircut on the back porch like a true redneck. Yeehaw.

Been editing the hot wheels movie most of the weekend. It's shaping up nicely. We've got one reshoot to do on a stunt that just didn't work the first time, but otherwise, filming is basically complete. Still lots of editing and post-production to do, but still hoping to get it released by the end of the month. My editing is slow because I find myself watching it all the way through every time I hit play to check an edit. I'm working hard to make the plot as coherent and easy to follow as possilbe, as it's a frenetic 13 minutes of craziness.

Reactions: NSA

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Same. My wife is handy with clippers and scissors for the kids and I take care of mine, so we didn't get bushy like so many during the shutdowns. My wife even gave my buddy a trim when he came to visit, since she could barely stand to look at his out of control beard/hair. :p

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I finally shaved my quarantine beard last week.. 3 months of no shaving produced a pretty good/wild beard.. but the wife was more than sick of it.. and I guess I kind of grew sick of it too.. until I shaved an realized how much I hate having to shave every other day...

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Since I keep a regular beard, I can get away with shaving once a week, unless I have some kind of client meeting. Even then I don't care for it, at least until I start to get itchy in the neck, then it's a relief.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I've been keeping a light beard since christmas, but I find I spend as much time trimming around on the damn thing as I did shaving 4-5 times a week before. But the wife likes it, and my family has come around, so I guess it's staying for a while.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Happy July! We made it through 1/2 of 2020? Cup half empty? Apocalypse half full? We'll find out soon!!!

Anyone have any plans for the 4th? They've closed all the beaches and canceled all the fireworks.. so I think we might just have a few people over for a BBQ and a float in the pool...

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yeah, happy 4th everybody! We're gonna have some friends up for the weekend as well. My wife is planning to smoke a pork butt and my buddy is great at grilling so there'll be plenty of eatin'. Not sure if our neighbors made the trek to get the industrial strength fireworks this year or not, but we are planning to make some bang bang noise the old fashioned way down at the range. So it's looking like a good ol' eat and drink too much celebration weekend in honor of 'Merca!

Also my 20th anniversary today. Things, I, we, everybody has changed a ton in the last 20 years, but no way I'd trade it! Heck, back then we were still celebrating "surviving" Y2K!!! :p

Reactions: pcsguy88

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Congrats!

I'm working up to my big 4-0 bday this month.. looking more and more like it's gonna be a small one, which is kind of bummer. We were originally planning a 7 day Alaskan cruise, but canceled it back in February when I had a "bad feeling about this corona thing" and then we planned a big house party.. but that is likely going to be paired down too... crazy times..

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yeah, my wife had her 40th back in May. Sadly, it was not an event, but we did manage to surprise her with a fun little party.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Congrats!

I'm working up to my big 4-0 bday this month.. looking more and more like it's gonna be a small one, which is kind of bummer. We were originally planning a 7 day Alaskan cruise, but canceled it back in February when I had a "bad feeling about this corona thing" and then we planned a big house party.. but that is likely going to be paired down too... crazy times..
Good thing you partied for 39.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Well, the weekend didn't go exactly as I had expected, but was still pretty awesome! We still had that glorious pulled pork, but my buddy did an enchilada casserole (not particularly 'Mercan, but pretty tasty none the less) instead of grilling burgers. We also had a plethora of snacks and desserts including my favorite summer treat, tres leches cake. I probably put on 5 pounds on the weekend alone.

I didn't drink except for Thursday night after work. I was out for hours all three weekend days at our range in the woods (sweating my butt off) and figured I'd pay dearly for it via dehydration and with my buddy's young kids waking us up early each morning. Looking back, I probably could have gotten away with it, but, not being quite as young as I used to be, didn't want to take anything away from what was a most excellent, if kind of exhausting, weekend! We also had some pretty cool (but less explosive than last year) fireworks in our back yard, so good times for all!

I was at the range so much because, besides just the usual fun for us and the kids, two more of my best buds got ARs and needed to get them sighted in so they'd be useful. That makes three buds in about 6 weeks that never had their own ARs before that are now exercising their 2A rights and are ready to defend themselves should the need arise. It cost me about 250 rounds of ammo (since finding AR ammo is near impossible right now), but was totally worth it. BTW, shooting steel targets seems to be a huge crowd pleaser!

'Merca!!!! :p

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Our 4th was pretty mellow.. all things considered. We had a couple friends over and just hung out in the pool most of the day while day drinking. One friend brought over a small scuba setup so the kids got to scuba around the pool.. they got a kick out of that for sure.

We had a bunch of the fountain-type fireworks so we did those with the kids. Only a few neighbors had anything bigger. We could see some sky fireworks off in the distance a few time but it wasn't anything too insane.

LA on the other hand....

Drank a bit, but not in excess, woke up without a revenge of the 5th on my hands. Found the perfect summer drink..

Captain Morgans Orange Vanilla Twist with the Coke Zero Orange Vanilla Coke.. oh my god. It's like an alcoholic orange julius.. so freaking delicious. Next time we're going to blend it so it's slushie-like. God-tier.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Oh man, that as a slushie sounds... glorious...

Beach getaway weekend with the wife in SC is coming!!! I have to remember that recipe!

BTW, props to all the LA'inos. Screw the man! Launch those fireworks! Freedom!!!

I was telling my wife as we did our fireworks and could hear all the neighbors doing theirs that I wanted to do a helo ride on the 4th of July some day to see just that kind of thing.